THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

I answered the question anyway, I'll repost so it doesn't get lost on the previous page

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The river flooding is very important to the story.  It's about a farm barely surviving, not wanting to sell out to corporate interests, and a flood that destroys the crops would mean not being able to make it.

BTW, random aside, back in 2008 when I worked at the Virginia Commonwealth University bookstore in Richmond, I saw Sissy Spacek waiting in line with her daughter to buy textbooks for the semester.

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Hi all,

I am just a guest, following here for some time.

What came to my mind listening to the conversation about Williams' scores with irish influences I was wondering why noone mentioned "The Patriot". It is probably the score of Williams which is closest to "Far and Away" for my understanding.

Hello and welcome!

You’re right, harking back to the pivotal connection between fife and drum etc. We did actually mention The Patriot, also referencing a similarity to its finale, however we had to edit things down a bit.

Does anyone know of a link to a high-res image of the album art? Or could otherwise offer one to interested parties such as myself? Intrada's 600x600 px image is ok but not ideal.

I recall some minor drama about Intrada and high-res art recently, and I don't want my request to undermine my great appreciation for the enormous work it takes to put something like an expanded album together. I just wish it were easier to find appropriately high-quality art for a high-quality CD release.

I think in this case what we have is good enough 😂. I’ve never been a fan of this artwork and Sissy’s facial expression just doesn’t match the supposed drama going on around them.

14 hours ago, mahler3 said:

Hello and welcome!

You’re right, harking back to the pivotal connection between fife and drum etc. We did actually mention The Patriot, also referencing a similarity to its finale, however we had to edit things down a bit.

Hi mahler3,

thank you for your reply. And most of all thanks for those Potcasts. The combination of these conversations with music samples is brillant. 

Question about ordering from Intrada directly. Do you have to register and make an account  first or you can use "guest check out" like LLL and pay with paypal? (order with no account)

On 5/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, Jay said:

Intrada chooses not to share high res art with consumers. It's a bummer. 

Indeed. I asked them why at a stage and they seemed puzzled by the question.

"Why would you need artwork at higher than 600x600 resolution?? What for??"

LOL

48 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

LOL

I'm obviously glad that labels like Intrada are getting these expansions out there for us, but that's such a condescending response to such a simple question. They're spending at least a few thousand dollars commissioning artwork for these expansions; why not make the cover art available in high resolution? All the other labels are more than happy to provide it, for whatever music software people sort their music in.

Hell, the resolution of artwork using Apple Music on my phone is probably twice that size.

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't like making accounts everywhere. Just more passwords I'll never remember and password reset emails. Fuck that.

This!

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

It arrived in Nottingham this morning which means I should have it tomorrow. :)

Karol

Booo, come on you Rams!

11 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't like making accounts everywhere. Just more passwords I'll never remember and password reset emails. Fuck that.

Use a password manager.

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

LOL

I could scan the booklet but of course it’ll never come out looking like the original art that Intrada sends to the commercial printer. :(

On 5/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, King Mark said:

Is this movie about an actual river?

I though it was a movie about an old actor who drank like a river!

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

My copy is waiting for me at home. :)

Mine has reached the LA International Distribution Center, where I expect it might stay for the next few weeks (like a friend's orders that are still stuck there).

51 minutes ago, crocodile said:

merging the intimate folk-like quality with lush romantic pastoral orchestral writing

In this case Williams did a great job, but this is not an easy thing to do, as proven by many scores, even by Williams and Goldsmith, that were not successful in that regard.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mine has reached the LA International Distribution Center, where I expect it might stay for the next few weeks (like a friend's orders that are still stuck there).

My La-La Land order containing Far and Away is still there for more than 2 months.

22 hours ago, crocodile said:

I only heard the the album on YouTube and then some of it again in a car with Marian when we were making our way to Tanglewood in August last year. I've been meaning to buy the OST for ages but kept delaying it in hope one label might release this one day.  So many years of waiting! This score is SOOOOO good. Along with Rosewood, it forms my favourite rustic Americana stuff from Williams but is even more successful in merging the intimate folk-like quality with lush romantic pastoral orchestral writing (which probably wouldn't play in the other film). It's a wonderful listening experience in both versions. Gorgeous heartwarming stuff. I'm bloody loving this disc! :woop:

Karol

Agreed. Such a lovely score. And I think the OST specific tracks and film score combined makes for a really nice listen.

20 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Agreed. Such a lovely score. And I think the OST specific tracks and film score combined makes for a really nice listen.

Any suggestions as to how to create a custom hybrid playlist? :)

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you want to replace the film cues that got expanded into album-only versions, you'd do this

12. Main Title (Rain Clouds Gather) (3:08)
13. Leaving Home* (2:56)
03. The Pony Ride (3:16) instead of 14. The Family* (1:43)
02. Growing Up (2:52) instead of 15. The Kids Separate* (1:40)
16. The Garveys (1:24)
17. On The Dock (1:25)
18. Under The Tractor (2:21)
19. Dialing The Hospital* (1:32)
07. From Farm To Factory (2:46) instead of 20. Telephone Call* (2:33)
04. Love Theme From The River (4:55) instead of 21. The Hotel* (2:06)
22. Releasing The Doe* (1:05)
23. Back From Town (Film Version) (3:45)
05. The Ancestral Home (4:31) instead of 24. The Ancestral Home (4:33)
25. End Credits (The River) (4:31)

11. Young Friends Farewell (2:42) (this is not a rewrite of a film cue)

Good idea. Having more music in one playlist instead of having to listen to some of the same music twice. But why did you switch Ancestral Home? Does it have better sound on the album version?

All the album tracks were mixed by Dan Wallin for home listening, while the film cues are the film mix

Hmmm, I'll listen for the difference

But with Monsignor and Dracula the film mix cues sound WAY better than the remastered OST 

One of the things that make this score so enjoyable for me is the wonderful guitar playing from the legendary session musician Tommy Tedesco (1930-1997), who played on several John Williams scores including Jaws, The Eiger Sanction, Earthquake and others.

I do not know if this very funny 1996 seminar with Tommy has ever been posted here, but I thoroughly recommend it.  He suffered a stroke in the early 90s but even from the little snippets he plays you can recognise that unmistakable playing style.  He relates anecdotes about several film composers including Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Goldsmith, Dimitri Tiomkin and Leith Stevens.  He also discusses his contribution to The River and cites an unnamed John Williams piece as the hardest thing he had ever been given to play!

The whole thing is great but if you are only interested in John Williams, skip to about 43 minutes in.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:28 AM, JTWfan77 said:

Well, that’s disappointing! Smartphone screens have been wider than 600 pixels for close to a decade now, without even taking into account tablet, computer, and TV screens with even higher resolutions.

While Intrada making their art available at higher resolutions would of course be the best solution, in the meantime, this site (and there’s some other similar ones) upscales images using AI and achieves some pretty impressive results: https://letsenhance.io

Original 600x600:

image.jpeg

Upscaled:

image.jpeg