THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

21 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Too bad one has to pay for it, the results do look quite amazing.

They do give a limited number of free samples if you create an account. There’s also a free alternative, but it does have an annoying captcha:

http://waifu2x.udp.jp

Ok so the river has departed Madrid and soon will be at.my house...

While far and away it's in Chicago..after being a month in Los Angeles.... Definitely this one took a detour. I hope this is not what LLL had in mind as the new way of shipping things overseas....

On 5/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, BrotherSound said:

They do give a limited number of free samples if you create an account. There’s also a free alternative, but it does have an annoying captcha:

http://waifu2x.udp.jp

i'm not sure if I've been following this correctly. Does that mean the actual printed cover that comes with the c.d. low rez?

The printed covers are completely fine

The 600x600 cover on Intrada's website is completely fine

People in this thread are lamenting the fact that Intrada chooses not to provide us with digital covers greater than 600x600, so brothersound posted a website that "fakes" a high res version using the 600x600 version Intrada posted as a source.

How did you managed to get confused about this?

20 minutes ago, King Mark said:

But what if you make a high rez scan of the printed cover

Yes, it would be higher resolution, but could actually be significantly lower quality. It’s not all that simple to get a professional-quality scan without fingerprints, smudges, washed-out colors, the slight curvature of the booklet, etc.

17 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Yes, it would be higher resolution, but could actually be significantly lower quality. It’s not all that simple to get a professional-quality scan without fingerprints, smudges, washed-out colors, the slight curvature of the booklet, etc.

Possibly more importantly, the printed cover is already a distorted, lower quality version of the original (separate ink dots and what have you). Scanning adds aliasing and colour correction issues. On the other hand, those digitally upscaled images introduce their own share of artifacts (and probably look much worse for more realistic images than that awkward painted The River poster) - in any case, charging money for the upscaling service is a bit cheeky, since you get the same functionality in all sorts of free tools you can use yourself.

In any case, while I'd welcome original higher resolution images, 600x600 doesn't seem so bad for me for most purposes. Yes, phone displays have a higher pixel density these days, but they still have small screens. Even for text rendering (where differences are most apparent), at least some of it seems excessive. At least people who claim that nobody needs 4K because 1080p looks just as good (or perhaps that DVDs are good enough) really shouldn't be able to make out a difference.

Can anybody help me understand please?
I have ordered this on SAE on the 5th of May as well as with 3 more titles, none of them is out of stock, still the order is showing as "pending" . I have sent them an email yesterday and haven't received a response in more than 24 hours... Is that normal?

Can't get enough of this disc. I've been listening to it every day. Sometimes the album, sometimes the score and sometimes Jay's combo playlist. All three are great!

Karol

OK, I’m going to play the Devil’s advocate for a sec.

Couldn’t you really get the same kind of results just using a Photoshop filter?

I mean, if you want to split hairs, that is also an AI applying digital enhancement so that the end result is more appealing to the eye.

These we’re done with the free upscaling page that was posted here recently.

Prove me wrong.

E32041CB-60FA-4A4B-BA92-41830AAEEC00.jpeg

B5EAB8DA-2807-4C68-9A65-CDF36A4D7F2B.jpeg

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Can't get enough of this disc. I've been listening to it every day. Sometimes the album, sometimes the score and sometimes Jay's combo playlist. All three are great!

Karol

I don’t think it’s my favorite of his overtly American scores like you, but it certainly is a wonderful listen.  It’s music that makes me feel good.

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

OK, I’m going to play the Devil’s advocate for a sec.

Couldn’t you really get the same kind of results just using a Photoshop filter?

I mean, if you want to split hairs, that is also an AI applying digital enhancement so that the end result is more appealing to the eye.

These we’re done with the free upscaling page that was posted here recently.

Prove me wrong.

Something like Topaz Gigapixel AI provides much better results.

TheRiver_isc441_600a-gigapixel-scale-6_00x.jpg

18 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Something like Topaz Gigapixel AI provides much better results.

Ooh, nice! I wasn’t familiar with that one, but this is even better.

So, I really didn’t know this would be such a big deal: if you don’t care about having album art in a higher resolution than 600x600, that’s fine! Some of us do, and there’s nothing wrong with that, either.

Not everyone listens to music the same way and on the same devices. If you’re just using the art to locate the album you’re looking for on a small screen, anything more would be overkill. If you’re like me and love to really pour over album art on a larger screen, 600x600 just won’t cut it. If it were up to me, I’d ideally like to have all covers available at 2160x2160, for 4K TVs and displays.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don’t think it’s my favorite of his overtly American scores like you, but it certainly is a wonderful listen.  It’s music that makes me feel good.

The Ancestral Home theme feels to me like it describes a family living just down the road from Kents!

Karol

Have listened now and really like it (in that rainy day, mellow mood way others have mentioned). It fits a niche in his output. Matessino describes it as a return to his Americana period that ended in 1974, which is quite evident, but it also felt literally like a return to 1974 in some ways, as though The River was another disaster score and not a farm family drama. I can even hear the main theme with a brass variation and a deep low note, a la Towering Inferno main title, although that is beyond the scope of this score. Even the acoustic drum kit in End Credits (The River) echoes that instrument's presence in Earthquake, an overt reference to the everyday world and the music of the street after so much fantasy genre music. Those Simmons drums in the film version of Leaving Home sound like Sly Dunbar got on the track after finishing Black Uhuru's Anthem sessions! In any case, The River is the soft close to his golden decade. I do hear style touches here and there that connect to SpaceCamp, even though that film is on the other side of a two-year feature scoring sabbatical.

Similar. In ROTJ it's more exposed in the mix and has a gesture-like LFO effect - could've been Minimoog, Oberheim, Roland Jupiter, Prophet 5, so many period instruments. In River, it feels a little like the breathy pads of the peak 80s a la Peter Gabriel - Synclavier, Fairlight or even Yahama DX-7. Great mood setting opener!

Also, he really nabs you with that deceptively simple main theme. The 4-3 suspension resolved, stoic, sometimes harmonized with the flat seventh degree, bluesy, contemporary, unwavering within a changed harmony. Perfect music for a family... with a little interval nod to another: Luke & Leia.

The second family theme with its parallel minor seventh chords is quite noirish, and adding to what I wrote above about disaster specifically Earthquake, "The Hotel" has that "City Theme," 5-7pm, hard liquor on the rocks feel (I've no recollection of what actually happens in that scene after 35+ years!)

Damn, this and far & away do not arrive. For the 1st time in my life, packages from spelcialty labels hace been lost. Far and away is stuck in chicago for one month now and the river was lost in madrid. F*cking virus. 

I'll contact LLL first as its package is about two months overdue. The river could still arrive....

They coul still arrive...but it has happened to me that sometimes the address stickers are almost erased, with the laser printed letters wearing out like dust. I fear that it has happened an thats why the packages arent moving...they dont know where to continue....

15 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn, this and far & away do not arrive. For the 1st time in my life, packages from spelcialty labels hace been lost. Far and away is stuck in chicago for one month now and the river was lost in madrid. F*cking virus. 

I'll contact LLL first as its package is about two months overdue. The river could still arrive....

I'm waiting for my La-La Land order containing Far and Away for 2,5 months now :(

Unless passenger flights out of the US resume soon (which is highly unlikely given the circumstances), parcels are going to take much longer to process than usual. There must be a huge backlog at LAX right now.

A quick glance at FlightRadar shows a few FedEx and DHL flights still running though.

A friend's Intrada package, which was posted after mine, arrived a few days ago at his place in Germany. It went straight from San Francisco to London. Mine and another friend's packages went from San Francisco to LA, and have been stuck there ever since (his for a few weeks more than mine).

Well, The River arrived today.

1 hour ago, E-Wan said:

I'm waiting for my La-La Land order containing Far and Away for 2,5 months now :(

You were spanish too, right?

Something must have passed in the early days of the pandemic. Maybe F&A is going by ship. And The river released a month after got it by plane.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Well, The River arrived today.

You were spanish too, right?

Something must have passed in the early days of the pandemic. Maybe F&A is going by ship. And The river released a month after got it by plane.

You are lucky man!

No, I'm Czech.

40 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Not the case for me I expect. I was prepared for it to go by ship and take longer, but the move from SF to LA doesn't make that likely.

Yeah..mine has gone from LA to Chicago..if its going by ship then definately it's going to take a while grinding trough all that landmass and probably the hull has been damaged and is on repairs at some Chicago shipyards :P

All post is slow these days, and probably a lot worse in some countries more than others

Been waiting more than a month for earphones I bought from  Hong Kong on ebay

With all these shipping delays the studios/labels should grant temporary download rights to the boutique labels to permit customers to download high resolution files of their purchases while waiting for things to normalise.

Yes, I know it will never happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow already out of stock at Intrada, wonder how many copies they've sold so far?  Another reason to purchase these releases on day one!

(Temporarily out of stock)
Sorry but we do not know exactly when this title will be back in stock. It's one of several titles waiting to be re-pressed as time permits.