THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyway, what sources are the OST presentation and the film score from?

1/4" soundtrack album master, 3-track 1/2" film cue masters

I find the pure score a bit short and stop 'n' go-ish, so I think about replacing the film cues that got an extended album recording.

48 minutes ago, Holko said:

Okay, I honestly have little use for these numbers. Is that kind of stuff explained somewhere on the forum?

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Okay, I honestly have little use for these numbers. Is that kind of stuff explained somewhere on the forum?

It's the physical measurement of the tape on which the score was recorded.

Generally speaking the larger the tape size, the more data it contains. Multi-track recordings are usually recorded on 2" analogue tape, because they can contain anywhere from 16 to 24 separate audio tracks, while 1/4", 1/2" or 1" tapes are used for stereo (2 track) or LCR (3 track) mixes.

That's why some people created an alt playlist that mixed in the OST-exclusive stuff in with the film score

On 5/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

If you want to replace the film cues that got expanded into album-only versions, you'd do this

12. Main Title (Rain Clouds Gather) (3:08)
13. Leaving Home* (2:56)
03. The Pony Ride (3:16) instead of 14. The Family* (1:43)
02. Growing Up (2:52) instead of 15. The Kids Separate* (1:40)
16. The Garveys (1:24)
17. On The Dock (1:25)
18. Under The Tractor (2:21)
19. Dialing The Hospital* (1:32)
07. From Farm To Factory (2:46) instead of 20. Telephone Call* (2:33)
04. Love Theme From The River (4:55) instead of 21. The Hotel* (2:06)
22. Releasing The Doe* (1:05)
23. Back From Town (Film Version) (3:45)
05. The Ancestral Home (4:31) instead of 24. The Ancestral Home (4:33)
25. End Credits (The River) (4:31)

11. Young Friends Farewell (2:42) (this is not a rewrite of a film cue)

On 1/26/2021 at 12:17 AM, Disco Stu said:

In the left channel you mean? Yeah the edit at 0:32/33 sounds weird

On 1/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, Holko said:

So, if I'm combining these clues correctly, that moment might be a damaged left channel track?:)

Here's what I ended up with:

image.png

I mostly preferred the extended album rerecordings of cues where available, but film mixes where both are the same - except for the credits cue. For From Farm to Factory, I used Telephone Call's opening then transition to the OST track.

Prelude is Leaving Home (film version), I  thought it was a jolly enough introduction of all the themes but the Impending Doom motif gives it enough of a seed of darkness that I prefer it here more than at the end - I think The River is a great finale.

I like parts of the OST and parts of the film score too so I kinda did a combination - first half is more OST stuff, second half more film stuff, "separated" by Young Friends Farewell.

The Family is the alternate, that's the one I liked the best, but I couldn't find a right place for it - I'm still not sure the idea to put it at the end as a sort of jolly epilogue to space Ancestral Home and The River out a bit because I don't necessarily think the transition from one to the other is that great was the best solution. But I'm mostly pretty happy with this assembly. I'm certainly glad I forced myself to keep listening to the OST and find things to like about it multiple times until I suddenly clicked onto it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My own copy has been stuck for more than a year in my NY address, So why wait further ..-I reordered this. Will be able to trade that NY copy when it arrives.

So glad I picked up this release! Highly recommended to anyone who might be hesitating -- it's an absolute gem in JW's output.

So grateful to Mike and Intrada for shining the spotlight on this score.

Another small but surprisingly rich little gem of a score. Took me some listens to click onto but now I can't even imagine not liking it. Get it!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

To me the love theme with the trumpet has a big Goldsmith feeling. Reminds me a lot of scores like Chinatown or L.A. Confidential.

I’d never made that connection before but now you mention it, there a definite Jerry vibe to it. Which is no bad thing.

Still can’t get over the weirdness of the key art for the cover though. Sissey Spacek in particular had a very odd expression. It’s such an awkward painting!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

To me the love theme with the trumpet has a big Goldsmith feeling. Reminds me a lot of scores like Chinatown or L.A. Confidential.

My thoughts exactly. And those are two Film Noir movies. What is a Film Noir theme doing in a movie about farmers?

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Jerry Goldsmith also wrote the main title for "The Waltons" with a prominent trumpet theme. :)

Loved that theme back then but I loved the closing theme of Little House On The Prairie (Dave Rose?) more:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That went fast.

Do we know how many copies this was limited to?

We don't. Intrada stopped revealing their limited numbers a decade ago

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't miss this release, folks. Incredible hidden gem, this score is.

So grateful to Mike and Intrada for bringing it to my attention.

Yea, it's definitely one of the nicest rainy day scores I own, and one of the non-blockbuster JW scores that's easiest to get into 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, it's definitely one of the nicest rainy day scores I own, and one of the non-blockbuster JW scores that's easiest to get into 

Funny you say that, my favourite memory of this score is playing it from start to finish on a drive home from down the coast. It rained the entire way home and the music fit the mood strikingly.

WOTW has the same effect during autumn, for whatever reason. Something about that score is very autumnal to me!

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Funny you say that, my favourite memory of this score is playing it from start to finish on a drive home from down the coast. It rained the entire way home and the music fit the mood strikingly.

WOTW has the same effect during autumn, for whatever reason. Something about that score is very autumnal to me!

Great post. 

• 1 month later...

Even though I haven't seen the movie, I'm considering a blind buy of this one just to make sure before it sells out.  How does this one rank among his discography?

Everyone will have a different answer to that question.

I think it's in his top 40 scores for sure

The samples on Intrada's website should be a good indicator of what the whole album's like

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I highly recommend it! Was a blind purchase for me and became my most-revisited album last year.

The score has an evocative rainy, wintry chill feeling, mixed with the pastoral warmth of latter works like War Horse. It doesn't rely on one theme (like some of his drama scores), the instrumentation is impressively varied (with gorgeous guitar and flute passages scattered throughout) and Williams' ability to paint imagery through music is unrivaled.

Better still, the release contains 3 potential presentations of the score. You can listen to JW's curated album presentation (tracks 1-11), or you can listen to MM's film score presentation (12-25), or you can listen to both combined with the bonus tracks (1-28), with each option presenting a unique musical experience.

For me, this score personifies the term 'hidden gem'. I only discovered it thanks to MM & Intrada releasing this expansion. That experience alone was worth the price of admission.

Well, I'm sold!  Thank you very much for the glowing recommendation.