THE RIVER expanded and remastered by Mike Matessino now available from Intrada Records

thx99

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the Chamber of Secrets "thematic and originality analysis" thing is the closest. This just seemed fun, a small score with surprising thematic richness. Also could help when I get to assembling some preferred program. It certainly helped a bit with being able to tell some cues apart.

I also can see interesting connections now, like the "groovy" motif only being on the OST and the revised Leaving Home, I love that motif and he probably only though of it after the main film sessions it seems.

So now that I have the album in hand and after reading MM liner notes, I will treat The River exactly as E.T. in my discography.

The album and the score being two very different things.

They're not though.  Both albums combine film recordings with album-only recordings, which were done with the same musicians as the film score at the same sessions.

They are not in the same category as Jaws or The Fury, which were entirely re-recorded by different musicians at a later date in a different studio

It's not, though.  it's more like Monsignor than ET.

And incidentally both The River and ET OST albums feature more music used in their films than the Return of the Jedi OST.

I'm very furious!

I ordered this from Screenarchives along with Robocop 2 Bluray.

They didn't find eventually the Bluray, and without consulting with me first, they sent just the cd (after refunding me for the bluray).

Now I have to pay customs (15 euros + 23% of the price of the shipped cd), while I could have gotten it for half the price at musicboxrecords in Europe!

But I ordered from them, mainly for the bluray which I couldn't find anywhere. Probably it's OOP.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Romão said:

I was listening to Rain Clouds Gather while looking at the sky. It was quite magical

Yes, it is, especially near the beginning, when the synthesizer reaches its crescendo.

It's possibly the most subtle of his Main Titles.

I would have preferred a silent main title, and the first score you hear is that brilliant opening with the flute like what opened the original OST album and 1996 CD

• 1 month later...

Nothing beats listening to a “new” score by John Williams like this! 😊

I am really enjoying the album. The sun is shining in on the balcony and, inspite of its gloomy cover, The River is a fun and beautiful album to listen to. The score is perfectly matched with a Cuban cigar and strong coffee!

6AC166E1-58F5-48A0-9F94-D368949DED4D.jpeg

Thanks for posting that!

There’s a lot of great music on here, ranging from the “pop” vibe in the end credits (that opens the album), to the flourishes of acoustic guitar, the beautiful trumpet phrases over string harmonies, and those broody piano ostinatos...

Quite a lot to unpack!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally opened up and listened to my physical copy yesterday.  It was a nice ride to work, listening to the OST program, and a nice ride home from work, listening to the film score presentation.

I must say I really prefer the film score presentation over the old album presentation.  There's more drama and weight, and the themes weave in and out and build in a more natural way.  The OST album is more like a collection of disjointed tracks.  That Young Friends Farewell cue is essential though, of course!

I also am very glad that the alternate Leaving Home is in the film score presentation and the film version Leaving Home is the final bonus track.  The alternate just sets up the score way way better, and doesn't take you out of the mood the Main Titles puts you in with the drumkit.  Great assembly here.

I would add that, like it's predecessor Monsignor, the OST presentation looks a bit "overworked".

If I'm right, I think The River is the last OST mainly featuring concert arrangements.

• 3 weeks later...