Stephen Warbeck & Shirley Walker's MYSTERY MEN (1999) - NEW 2020 La-La Land 2CD premiere

Jay

MYSTERY MEN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1530
Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection
Music by Stephen Warbeck
Additional Music by Shirley Walker
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

mysterymen-cover_Web.jpg

La-La Land Records and Universal Studios proudly present our eighth title within the acclaimed Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection -- the world premiere official release of the original motion picture score from the big screen 1999 superhero-action/comedy MYSTERY MEN, starring Ben Stiller, Janeane Garofalo and William H. Macy, and directed by Kinka Usher. This savvy and ahead-of-its-time skewering of comic book lore and pop culture has seen its cult status grow significantly since its initial theatrical release, and a vital component of its appeal is the notable and dynamic score by Oscar winning composer Stephen Warbeck (SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE) with additional music by the legendary Shirley Walker (BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES, MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN, TURBULENCE).

These two exceptional talents fashion a powerhouse, rich-in-theme orchestral score that expertly manages the film’s complicated balancing act of satire, action and character. Released here for the very first time in any format, fans are finally able to savor this thrilling work from both major composers - with Warbeck’s score featured on DISC 1 and Walker’s contributions showcased on DISC 2. Produced, edited and mastered by soundtrack restoration expert Mike Matessino, this special 2-CD limited edition release features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer John Takis and heroic art design by Dan Goldwasser. This is a limited edition release of 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1: MUSIC BY STEPHEN WARBECK
1. Mystery Men Opening 1:13
2. Mystery Men Arrive 3:19
3. The Battles We Used To Have 1:59
4. Inside The Asylum 2:10
5. Arrival Of Disco Boys :42
6. Anabel And The Explosion 2:55
7. Furious And Sally 1:56
8. Meet The Sphinx 1:02
9. Spleen 2:02
10. Car Chase 4:15
11. Sphinx Master Class 1:58
12. Heller 2:16
13. Monica And Roy 1:03
14. Frakulated 3:42
15. Casanova Has A Setback 3:49
16. Roy 3:35
17. Casanova’s Battle Plan 2:05
18. Vaya Con Dios 2:48
19. Blame Thrower 4:53
20. Casanova’s Last Stand 4:54
21. Escape From The Mansion 2:29
22. Victory 2:40
23. Inside The Asylum (Alternate) 2:10
24. Victory (Alternate) 2:29
DISC 1 TOTAL TIME: 62:41

DISC 2: ADDITIONAL MUSIC BY SHIRLEY WALKER
1. Mystery Men Opening* 1:12
2. Red Eyes Attack 2:42
3. Captain Amazing* :40
4. A Good Husband 1:06
5. Casanova’s Snare* 1:01
6. Psychofrakulator 2:13
7. The Invisible Boy’s Dream 1:12
8. Car Fight 3:01
9. Shoveler’s Encouragement 2:45
10. The Forks* 2:43
11. Blind Date With Destiny 4:06
12. The Laser 2:10
13. Spleen’s Battle 1:08
14. Victory 2:23
DISC 2 TOTAL TIME: 28:34

TWO-DISC TOTAL TIME 1:31:15
* Includes thematic material by Stephen Warbeck

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-1zck8e--pq84r-ag4f6q1

OH MY GOD! I didn't think this would actually be a thing anytime soon. I was always frustrated by how disorganized the two boots were, so I'll definitely be buying this when it becomes available to order.

EDIT: Looks like it already is. It wasn't too long ago that I got Kilar Dracula, so I'll have to think about it a bit.

I was never too crazy about Walker's contributions actually, at least in the context of the final film edit. They'll probably sound better once I can finally hear them in their proper intended order, since there are good pieces in there.

Anyone ever figured out what Mothersbaugh did on the project? He's credited for "additional music," but this looks to be pure Warbeck and Walker as before. Perhaps it was a random source track of sorts.

Comparing it with that Warbeck 7 track promo, the LLL set seems to only be a smidge longer (62:06 vs. 62:41). The 65 track set is a few minutes longer (67:38), but I'm willing to chock that up to alts that aren't that different and silence in a few spots.

EDIT: Turns out it's a track on the VA album, and his "credit" is IMDB only. Guess someone figured "hey he's also a film composer, so it must count right?"

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it seems the Walker section of the score has a couple of sound issues:

It seems instrumental elements are outright missing or so deep in the mix as to seem like it's not there and while Darkman is still very listenable, Walker's Mystery Men contributions are another thing entirely. It sounds like the source was a 5.1 master minus the center channel so all of the noticable percussion and some moments of brass from the bootleg are almost completely missing on album which in effect ruins a great majority of her disc for me. Notable cues include "Red Eyes Attack" and "Car Fight" which feels incomplete to me without the percussion and brass elements that I've come to know so well from the bootleg. Anyone who knows Walker's music knows that she does percussion and brass the best so for it to feel so stripped here is quite upsetting.

I've yet to purchase it myself, so I'll probably make a decision once I can check myself if Warbeck's score suffers from the same issues or not.