Sign in to follow this  
Lewya

Ryuichi Sakamoto selected his top 10 soundtracks of all time

I just found this. Ryuichi Sakamoto said that his top 7 favourite film composers of all time are (in no order): Alex North, Toru Takemitsu, Bernard Herrmann, Leonard Rosenman, Ennio Morricone, Georges Delerue and Nino Rota. That is his film music pantheon in terms of which composers. He said that he idolizes these 7 film composers.

He included most of his top 7 favourite film composers in his top 10 soundtracks of all time, the only two which he didn't include are Bernard Herrmann and Georges Delerue, all of the others of his favourite film composers of all time are included.

yTxQeNP.jpg

Ryuichi Sakamoto's top 10 soundtracks of all time (in no order):

Stalker, Solaris, Mirror - Eduard Artemyev

Nostalghia (a concert work inspired by the Tarkovsky film) - Toru Takemitsu

Shochiku 120th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection (compilation) - Numerous composers ranging from Toru Takemitsu to Joe Hisaishi

Yojimbo - Masaru Sato

Seven Samurai - Fumio Hayasaka

Fellini and Rota (compilation) - Nino Rota

Once Upon a Time in the West - Ennio Morricone

A Streetcar Named Desire - Alex North

Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

I agree with most of his top 10, the only two that I can't get into as much is Seven Samurai and Yojimbo (not counting the Takemitsu concert work which is technically not film music), but I will have tor reconsider them seeing how highly Sakamoto thinks of these two scores.

I would have included Thomas Newman's American Beauty as well as Jerry Fielding's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia on my own list, but aside from those two, I can't say I disagree with the rest of his choices. It was a nice surprise to see Martinez's Solaris included, which isn't my favourite soundtrack of all time by any means, but it is probably my favourite film score of the 21st century so far.

I have Goldsmith's Planet Of The Apes but not Rosenman's Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. Is the latter the superior score?

Also, Solaris, I have it, but top 10 of all time? I would like to hear the motivation behind this.