Taika Waititi to Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Film

Jay

Taika Waititi will direct a new “Star Wars” movie for theatrical release, which he will co-write with “1917” scribe Krysty Wilson-Cairns.

The news confirms reports that first broke in January that Waititi was developing a new “Star Wars” movie. The filmmaker was coy about those reports when Variety asked about them in February after he won the best adapted screenplay Oscar for “Jojo Rabbit.”

“Are there discussions about the ‘Star Wars’ film? Like, yeah, I discussed with my friends in 1996 how cool ‘Star Wars’ was,” Waititi said. “I think people see me hanging out with people, especially with ‘Star Wars,’ and think I’m having some big discussions about it. I would f—ing love to.…If it was right. I would want to do any kind of movie if it made sense, and if it felt not like career suicide.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/taika-waititi-star-wars-1234597104/

Good for him

Oh no, hopefully not Giacchino again.

Wouldn't it be funny if Williams un-retired from SW just to stop Gia scoring another film?

Seriously though, great news. He's a very talented director. 

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Waititi has yet to work with the same composer twice, so not necessarily!

Yep, good point. I actually checked the filmography after writing my post and thought they had collaborated more than once.

Something left field would be refreshing. 

I like Taika, Hunt for the Wilderpeople is probably my favorite movie of the decade, but I don't think he's, say, right for Star Wars. Disney only hired him because he's hot right now.

As for the composer, Gia is the logic option, although I don't doubt he teams up with Mark Mothersbaugh again. I liked Ragnarok's score, so he'd be an okay choice.

Like Edmilson, I like Taika just fine (although I found Jojo Rabbit to be overrated as hell), but I don't think his sensibilities align with what I'd like to see in a Star Wars movie. And anyway, without JW's involvement, my interest in this is really low. Just let it die

6 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Who?

He's the guy who directed What We Do In The Shadows, Thor: Ragnarok, and Jojo Rabbit... and who Disney had already announced is directing Thor: Love and Thunder coming in 2022 (so I guess this SW film will be after that?)

As an actor, he acted in What We Do In The Shadows (Viago), Thor: Ragnarok & Avengers Edgame (Korg), Jojo Rabbit (Hitler), and will be in the upcoming The Suicide Squad reboot thingy... and he voices IG-11 on The Madalorian

I secretly do hope it’ll remain a stand-alone film and 92-year old Williams, healthy and well, feels like scoring it. 😛

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I like Taika, Hunt for the Wilderpeople is probably my favorite movie of the decade, but I don't think he's, say, right for Star Wars.

He's already directed the season finale of The Mandalorian (which stands up with #4 as the best episode)

Just now, Fabulin said:

Only Star Wars doesn't work as a comedy...

It doesn't but I think that's where we're headed...

Not a big fan of Waititi, and the prospect of having another MG score is scary, to say the least. But I'll keep calm and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

I secretly do hope it’ll remain a stand-alone film and 92-year old Williams, healthy and well, feels like scoring it. 😛

I hate to burst your bubble, but...no fucking way will JW score this film.

I mean, did you ever read the main post?  It specifically references the rumors from January.  This is a new, official announcement.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but...no fucking way will JW score this film.

I know, but I’d love for a miracle to happen!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I mean, did you ever read the main post?  It specifically references the rumors from January.  This is a new, official announcement.

K

I'm up for this.

But how about, rather than announcing a gazillion mysyical new Star Wars films, they go ahead and make them?

They've got enough stuff announced for the next decade or so.

Some of them probably won't even start filming for another 5 years.

How many Star Wars projects were announced so far?

• Rian Johnson's trilogy
  • GOT creators' trilogy (CANCELED)
  • Kevin Feige movie
  • Taika Waititi movie
  • A new show from the creator of Russian Doll
  • Obi-Wan minisseries
  • Cassian Endor show

Have I forgot anything?

You forgot the Boba Fett movie that was going to be directed by Josh Trank, also canceled

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

• Rian Johnson's trilogy
  • Kevin Feige movie
  • Taika Waititi movie
  • Obi-Wan minisseries
  • Cassian Endor show

Have I forgot anything?

Disney is worse than Tarantino who is about to shot:

• Kill Bill Vol. 3
  • Django/Zorro
  • Double V Vega
  • Killer Crow
  • Forty Lashes Lesson One
  • an r-rated Star Trek movie
  • a John Brown biopic
  • a horror movie
  • adaptions of Modesty Blaise, Berlin Game and Less than Zero
  • and remakes of The Psychic, The Green Hornet, The Man from UNCLE and Westworld

Oh wait, Tarantino is worse...

I think he's said in several interviews over the years that he wants to direct 10 movies, and then call it quits. He has 9 now (if you count the KILL BILLs as one). But hey, I'd be thrilled if he decides to continue after that; he's a favourite of mine and has never done a weak film (even if the quality has varied somewhat).

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think he's said in several interviews over the years that he wants to direct 10 movies, and then call it quits. He has 9 now (if you count the KILL BILLs as one). But hey, I'd be thrilled if he decides to continue after that; he's a favourite of mine and has never done a weak film (even if the quality has varied somewhat).

I love his alternative take on WW2. It was such a surprise in the cinema!

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

• Rian Johnson's trilogy
  • Kevin Feige movie
  • Taika Waititi movie
  • Obi-Wan minisseries
  • Cassian Endor show

Have I forgot anything?

Spielberg and Ridley Scott are just as bad, let's be honest. Their production companies hoover up rights to projects like there's no tomorrow, but most never see the light of day. I vaguely recall a press release about Spielberg directing a remake of Harvey, that went nowhere.

Along with Robopocalypse, Montezuma, Edgardo Mortara, It's What I Do, Indiana Jones 5 in endless purgatory, etc.

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Along with Robopocalypse, Montezuma, Edgardo Mortara, It's What I Do, Indiana Jones 5 in endless purgatory, etc.

Pirate Latitudes. :(

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I should hope so.

Forget about Star Wars.

Indiana Jones is the franchise I'd wish to see more of.

Wouldn't be ideal without Harrison Ford.

But the character and the concept are so easy to have fun with.

This need to "see more of" franchises past their expiration date is the deathbed of those franchises. You're killing the things you love by essentially bear-hugging them to death.

There's something to be said for temperence. Three Indiana Jones films - just like six Star Wars movies - is more than respectable, and it was good while it lasted: let it be.

On 5/4/2020 at 1:57 PM, Thor said:

Not a big fan of Waititi, and the prospect of having another MG score is scary, to say the least. But I'll keep calm and see what happens.

Waititi is co-writing the script with Krysty Wilson-Cairns. Her resume is mostly dramas.

She's probably going to do most of the heavy lifting on the SW script while Waititi works on Thor: Love & Thunder, a la her collaboration with Sam Mendes on 1917.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, Chen G. said:

This need to "see more of" franchises past their expiration date is the deathbed of those franchises. You're killing the things you love by essentially bear-hugging them to death.

Indiana Jones would've been perfect for the James Bond approach.

There's no overarching story.

And the world plus archeology is big enough for quite the variety of adventures

There are a bunch of good books out there proving as much.

Sure, they would probably not reach the same levels as the originals.

But as long as they skip on the excessively stupid (nuking fridges, monkey tarzan, flying saucers, bringing back the emperor), there's plenty of opportunity for decent entertainment.

Of course I have a massive weak spot for these type of stories.

I even like King Solomon's Mines (the silly one).

So feel free to take my opinion here with a grain of salt.