Taika Waititi to Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Film

Jay

1 hour ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

On a slightly smaller note, y'all may want to accept the possibility that Hans Zimmer will score Rogue Squadron. He almost did Solo and he's good friends with Patty Jenkins. Just saying, prepare yourself for that as well.

Or the project will simply die and we'll never have to bother about that ;)

I think it's very safe to assume Giacchino will score this, assuming he's still interesting in scoring films in late 2025 and/or it does not conflict with a directing gig he has happening at the same time

EDIT: Apparently the above article is wrong and this is the December '23 Star Wars film, not the December '25 one.  Well, the same point remains I suppose

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Alan Silvestri... to score a Star Wars? I like Silvestri a lot, so he'd be ideal for the project :love2:

Fixed.

Silvestri has worked a lot with Disney on his Marvel movies, maybe they ask him to do a SW eventually.

Isn't Silvestri semi-retired?  He's 72 and has only scored one non-Zemeckis non-Avengers film since 2014.

4 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

This is something I've been thinking about from the moment Taika was announced to direct and co-write his own Star Wars movie. With John Williams' Star Wars days (on film at least) behind him, the future allows for more composers to enter the film sandbox. The Disney+ shows have allowed different composers to test out their own styles and take the franchise's musical sound in directions beyond just emulating Williams. For better or for worse. It's always fun to speculate who is going to take on the baton next. For Taika's film, there's only 1 obvious choice. 

After providing a BAFTA nominated score for Jojo Rabbit, scoring Thor: Love and Thunder, and being confirmed to score Next Goal Wins, I think it's very safe to assume that Michael Giacchino will end up scoring Taika's film. In addition to him and Taika being a package deal now, Giacchino simply makes the most sense to carry on the Star Wars musical legacy from John Williams. Now I'm aware that a lot of folks up in here aren't nearly as big Giacchino fans as I am (he sits as my 3rd favorite of all-time right under Danny Elfman and the big JW himself). Despite all that, I think he's the best choice. Very few modern mainstream film composer value themes and leitmotifs as much as Giacchino does, as a large majority of his scores are built entirely around them. He knows how to strike a balance between referring to old themes while also developing his own. Plus, the man knows how to make people cry and isn't that what we all want? And I think him scoring major features for multiple sections of the Walt Disney Company makes him the company's most valuable composer, just as Alan Menken and Randy Newman were before him. And of course the Rogue One connection, but that's besides the point. 

As of the making of this post, we have no insight as to what Taika's movie is even about. All we have to go on is Taika's involvement, his co-writer, and the fact that it exists. If we go off of Taika's past work, it'll ultimately be a movie about relationships. I can picture large, sweeping, romantic melodies combined with high-octane action cues. I think his score for Super 8 is a good starting point. There's a very small chance I could be wrong. Maybe Taika will end up picking someone else because Giacchino is too busy. Brad Bird's got a new movie soon, there's always a seat for him at Pixar, and who knows what other director will become his next main guy. Despite all that, I think we should accept the possibility now. Whether you're excited about that possibility or not is up to you. We got a year to find out I suppose. Lol

On a slightly smaller note, y'all may want to accept the possibility that Hans Zimmer will score Rogue Squadron. He almost did Solo and he's good friends with Patty Jenkins. Just saying, prepare yourself for that as well.

I’m beyond delighted to learn there’s another person here who accurately identifies the best two Hollywood composers as JW and DE. But on Gia being third best, I’m afraid I must vehemently (yet respectfully) disagree—and I really hope Waititi goes another way on the score. Why not Powell?? Everyone loved what he did in Solo. Or Desplat—give him the chance taken away from him 5 yrs ago to do a SW film. Or Holt, who’s writing great stuff for Obi-wan. Or even David Arnold?? Just anyone but Gia. Give some other composer a chance at a possible franchise.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't Silvestri semi-retired?  He's 72 and has only scored one non-Zemeckis non-Avengers film since 2014.

What about Ready Player One? 

edit: sorry, my bad.

6 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

Yep, I said that exact thing the day her film was announced.

If you all thought Natalie Holt's score was uninspired and boring, just you wait!

But, at least the "who composed what" game will be even more fun.

3 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I’m beyond delighted to learn there’s another person here who accurately identifies the best two Hollywood composers as JW and DE. But on Gia being third best, I’m afraid I must vehemently (yet respectfully) disagree—and I really hope Waititi goes another way on the score. Why not Powell?? Everyone loved what he did in Solo. Or Desplat—give him the chance taken away from him 5 yrs ago to do a SW film. Or Holt, who’s writing great stuff for Obi-wan. Or even David Arnold?? Just anyone but Gia. Give some other composer a chance at a possible franchise.

I would not mind Powell in the slightest. Though he's been talking about retirement for a hot minute. Maybe he changed his mind because he's been doing more non Dreamworks stuff.

I'm honestly rooting for him to do Rogue Squadron.

Zimmer's possible Star Wars score will include:

• A wailing woman for the inevitable desert planet;
  • Dunkirk-style action music (i.e. sound design) for the battle scenes;
  • Horn of doom representing the Empire;
  • Not a single reference to John Williams' themes.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Zimmer's possible Star Wars score will include:

• A wailing woman for the inevitable desert planet;
  • Dunkirk-style action music (i.e. sound design) for the battle scenes;
  • Horn of doom representing the Empire;
  • Not a single reference to John Williams' themes.

If Patty or Lucasfilm wants Hans to go for a less 2010's Zimmer sound, I think Wonder Woman 1984 is a good starting point. Still has Zimmer vibes, but it's much more symphonic than say The Dark Knight. And maybe it's the Zimmer fan in me, but Horn of Doom for the Empire does sound kinda sick.

And seeing your profile picture makes me wonder, when is my boi James gonna do a Star Wars anything?

I liked Gia’s Rogue One score, so I’d welcome him back to this one.

I also think we’d all be better off unlearning what we think we know about what a Star Wars score “should” sound like (although the Obi-Wan/Holt thread shows this lot may never be able to do it). At this point give me a weird ass Zimmer score.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I also think we’d all be better off unlearning what we think we know about what a Star Wars score “should” sound like (although the Obi-Wan/Holt thread shows this lot may never be able to do it). At this point give me a weird ass Zimmer score.

I think, we'd all be better off unlearning that there was a time when a music score played an essential part in the experience of a movie and that the music track itself was a work of art on its own.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, we'd all be better off unlearning that there was a time when a music score played an essential part in the experience of a movie and that the music track itself was a work of art on its own.

I politely refuse

I wish more people wrote lush orchestral music too, but it’s pretty stodgy and perhaps disingenuous to say that music is no longer an essential part of the movie experience and is no longer able to be considered art.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I wish more people wrote lush orchestral music too, but it’s pretty stodgy and perhaps disingenuous to say that music is no longer an essential part of the movie experience and is no longer able to be considered art.

In mainstream, Hollywood blockbuster scoring, I think it is absolutely true

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

In mainstream, Hollywood blockbuster scoring, I think it is absolutely true

Yes, probably I should have scoped my statement to that. 

Especially, when we look at the recent efforts around the Star Wars TV shows, this is quite sobering.

Yeah, I don't mind Rogue One as much as others.  It's fine.  Gia could use some growth in writing music that goes somewhere and maybe comes back, but it's fine.

I like @mstrox am open to new ideas.  And while I don't think I need a weird ass Zimmer score (because I don't think he'd be capable of doing something completely weird ass), I wouldn't mind music that is unlike anything else out there.  What we're hearing these days is so very commercial sounding.  Entire scores sound like trailers.

Imagine something like Jerry's Planet of the Apes applied to the right Star Wars project.  Or something modernist instead of romantic.  Something provocative without being obnoxious or deliberately epic.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Yeah, I don't mind Rogue One as much as others.  It's fine.  Gia could use some growth in writing music that goes somewhere and maybe comes back, but it's fine.

I like @mstrox am open to new ideas.  And while I don't think I need a weird ass Zimmer score (because I don't think he'd be capable of doing something completely weird ass), I wouldn't mind music that is unlike anything else out there.  What we're hearing these days is so very commercial sounding.  Entire scores sound like trailers.

Imagine something like Jerry's Planet of the Apes applied to the right Star Wars project.  Or something modernist instead of romantic.  Something provocative without being obnoxious or deliberately epic.

Mhmm, if writing a traditional Star Wars score is so off-putting then at least make sure it doesn't sound like everything else out there. More than anything I care about properties having a unique musical identity, personally I think the best way to preserve that is to work within what has already been established but if that's too creatively restricting then please don't just create something that could be applied to any other piece of adjacent media in the modern age

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Imagine something like Jerry's Planet of the Apes applied to the right Star Wars project.  Or something modernist instead of romantic.

Land of the Sand People?

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Land of the Sand People?

Yeah exactly! A New Hope has a bundle of musical influences, not just romantic. It really is such an eclectic mix that I can't wrap my head around feeling 'creatively restrained' by the universe when it's such a melting pot

I think the perfect composer to do a Star Wars score for any project is Bear McCreary.

He is a very talented orchestral writer. Knows his way around synths/electronics. Writes incredible themes. Is very good at using appropriate music for different cultures etc. And he is very resepctful to what has come before.

See Godzilla: King Of The Monsters for the respect to previous scores in a franchise.

His scores for Outlander, Da Vinci's Demons & Masters Of The Universe are very thematic with a big orchestra and added instruments where appropriate.

His scores for movies like Rim Of The World or Animal Crackers show he has a sort of childlike fun while writing scores. This is actually the feeling I get from a lot of his scores. He genuinly seems so happy to do the work he does.

I would love for McCreary to do either Ahsoka, Rangers Of The Republic or the Lando series. 

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think the perfect composer to do a Star Wars score for any project is Bear McCreary.

He is a very talented orchestral writer. Knows his way around synths/electronics. Writes incredible themes. Is very good at using appropriate music for different cultures etc. And he is very resepctful to what has come before.

See Godzilla: King Of The Monsters for the respect to previous scores in a franchise.

His scores for Outlander, Da Vinci's Demons & Masters Of The Universe are very thematic with a big orchestra and added instruments where appropriate.

His scores for movies like Rim Of The World or Animal Crackers show he has a sort of childlike fun while writing scores. This is actually the feeling I get from a lot of his scores. He genuinly seems so happy to do the work he does.

I would love for McCreary to do either Ahsoka, Rangers Of The Republic or the Lando series. 

He has scored Star Wars already actually: 

1 minute ago, DarthDementous said:

He has scored Star Wars already actually: 

I know. But I don't really count that because it's not a solo assigment and I felt the game didn't give him or any of the composers enough to do

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I know. But I don't really count that because it's not a solo assigment and I felt the game didn't give him or any of the composers enough to do

That seems...awfully arbitrary. The track I linked you is solely credited to him. I think that track is pretty decent too, some traditional Star Wars stylings with more ethnically flavored stuff that has a nice groove to it

On 16/06/2022 at 6:42 AM, Andy said:

I mean, there's *some* stuff in the original Star Wars that sounds not a million miles from PotA... I'm sure Stravinsky being part of the temp track was a part of that. But if you listen to the complete original Star Wars in particular, it's almost shocking how modernist and non-romantic some of the music is!

Sadly I think it's unlikely we will ever get music like that again in a Star Wars score. It would add flavor, for sure.

EDIT:

On 16/06/2022 at 6:49 AM, Holko said:

Land of the Sand People?

Haha maybe I should catch up in reading a thread before I post a reply to an earlier post. :D 

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

It'd probably be best for everyone if they can't manage to release a Star Wars movie theatrically in the 2020s at all. Just stick with the Disney+ stuff for awhile. I think Mandalorian proved they can still give these things the expected production value at their best, fans get plenty to talk about while people who don't care about going that deep get a relative break from the noise. And then when they get a big concept for a movie after a decade since IX, it might feel exciting enough again to get everyone inside. 

Hilariously, though, I think what they should really be doing is courting George Lucas for a movie. Even if they announced that somebody else was writing/directing from an original Star Wars story/concept by Lucas, that would be the most surprising thing I could think of. 

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

It'd probably be best for everyone if they can't manage to release a Star Wars movie theatrically in the 2020s at all. Just stick with the Disney+ stuff for awhile. I think Mandalorian proved they can still give these things the expected production value at their best, fans get plenty to talk about while people who don't care about going that deep get a relative break from the noise. And then when they get a big concept for a movie after a decade since IX, it might feel exciting enough again to get everyone inside. 

Hilariously, though, I think what they should really be doing is courting George Lucas for a movie. Even if they announced that somebody else was writing/directing from an original Star Wars story/concept by Lucas, that would be the most surprising thing I could think of. 

The disney plus shows don’t do much for me and musically is a much lower quality compared to the films. It would be awesome if they gave George Lucas his own show to do for D+

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

Maybe Taika is into it but even if it happened it would feel kind of sad to me to have him doing this

Sadder than his forays into Marvel?

I’m glad that he hasn’t gone full blockbuster, but I am glad he’s brought his sensibilities in to those movies.  The fact that he is using his “between” time to do things like Reservation Dogs and Our Flag Means Death shows that he hasn’t lost it.

Taika is certainly too talented to waste years of his life on Marvel and Star Wars products.

It's great that he's still doing smaller films though, yeah.