Star Wars OST - all trilogies horn hang out

karelm

15 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Here’s the link which is live now. A very enjoyable watch and plenty for us JW fans to relish. Such legends gathered together:

Oh nice, thanks for posting mahler3!

@Chen G. it might interest you that one of the hornists of the SW77 LSO recording said that there were rumours in the orchestra during the sessions, that Lucas wanted to make 10 films out of Star Wars. That's possibly the earliest mention of such idea.

9 hours ago, Fabulin said:

They actually came close to having Williams himself in their chat! Sadly he doesn't own a PC or a smartphone, and his assistant could not get to him because of the virus.

I can't tell whether you're joking.

18 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

@Chen G. it might interest you that one of the hornists of the SW77 LSO recording said that there were rumours in the orchestra during the sessions, that Lucas wanted to make 10 films out of Star Wars. That's possibly the earliest mention of such idea.

I thought it was 12 films originally? No doubt Disney are keeping that close to their chests, to justify the inevitable 4th trilogy.

9 hours ago, Fabulin said:

They actually came close to having Williams himself in their chat! Sadly he doesn't own a PC or a smartphone, and his assistant could not get to him because of the virus.

Now there's a mental image, Williams on a Zoom call :D

The fact he came close to doing it is very cool, shows his willingness to engage with musicians even when he can't see them in person. I assume Sarah Willis tried to organise that?

And a big relief to hear he's taking the lockdown seriously and remaining isolated, even from his assistants. The stories coming out of the US on that subject are... disheartening.

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Hmm...interesting...

I should think rumours in the orchestra are just that...rumours in the orchestra.

Before Star Wars came out, Lucas' plans were for a trilogy and a possible prequel, and that plan stayed in place in the immediate aftermath of the film's success. Only in 1978 did Lucasfilm announce they'd be making twelve films.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I thought it was 12 films originally? No doubt Disney are keeping that close to their chests, to justify the inevitable 4th trilogy.

Not that it should matter to Disney, but the 12-film concept wasn't sub-divided into trilogies. It was going to be like James Bond: a separate adventure in each film. Then the "I am your father!" moment came in and made the series into a saga, and with it the series narrowed to six films (or nine, if you choose to believe Lucas).

Interestingly, this video confirms the Adventures of Han concert suite (included on the OST) was recorded separately to the demos session for Williams' sketches. So everything in those early LA sessions is totally unreleased, including theme suites not set to picture.

I wonder if those early sheet leaks are related? We even had piano mockups posted here.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Interestingly, this video confirms the Adventures of Han concert suite (included on the OST) was recorded separately to the demos session for Williams' sketches.

So, did they mention if it was done at a later date in L.A., or in London? Sounds like his usual L.A. musicians to me.

It says “composed and conducted” on the OST right? It would have to be LA. The recording also sounds completely different to the rest of the score.

We've always known the concert arrangement was recorded in LA with JW conducting.  The new information is simply that it wasn't recorded the same day as his early "demos"

What's the deal with that Asteroid Field anecdote around the 27 minute mark? First I've heard about an early version George didn't like that was rewritten overnight & re-recorded the following day?

On 5/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, Fabulin said:

Sadly he doesn't own a PC or a smartphone

None of his grandkids taught him on how to use a smartphone? Even my 83 year old grandmother knows how to watch YouTube videos on hers and send pics via WhatsApp!

• 2 weeks later...