Summon the Heroes by Boston Pops with John Williams - NEW 2020 home recording dedicated to frontline workers

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!   What a rare treat to see Williams playing his own music at his home piano!

Also, has Keith Lockhart lost weight or something?  He looks different.

2 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Truly wonderful. Really well-done, well-produced performance too, given the limitations of this format.

Especially cool to see the maestro in his personal studio, with all those personal effects & books.

Including, as @Holko pointed out, little figures of the cantina band on one shelf!

Wow, absolutely beautiful. I came close to tearing up. :crymore: What a marvelous sound the orchestra gets too -- I don't know how it was possible to mix them so well given how it was recorded. 

:woop:

Keith conducting is just for show, right?  These guys had to have all performed on their own time to a click track in their ear right?

9 minutes ago, Will said:

I came close to tearing up

I just did - completely. Part of the reasons being that this should not be how we experience orchestras on one hand, but it's soo admirable here on the other hand, and, foremost - Maestro Williams opened the concert with the London Symphony in 1996 with just that, on short notice even (!); we were impressed, to say the least. That was almost 24 years ago. Almost as long as me and my significant other have been together. *sigh*

That was amazing. And I didn't know musicians recorded separetedly could sound like a whole orchestra when joining the video files together. 

Maybe this is how film music will be recorded for the foreseeable future until it's safe to resume normal recording sessions again?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy cow this is the coolest video I've seen in a long time!  John Williams talking directly to the camera for something to be broadcast on the internet, what a time to be alive!

Amen! This made my day!

Indeed, what a fantastic video and performance by the Boston Pops... not to mention the technical achievement. :heart:

Lovely in every way!

Could some parts have been pre-recorded? Or at least edited together somehow? I can't believe it was all a single take.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Could some parts have been pre-recorded? Or at least edited together somehow? I can't believe it was all a single take.

As mentioned above, all the parts were recorded separately and the mixed together, so in a way, everything was pre-recorded.

While the technology may exist to do this live in real time, I don't think there's an orchestra in the world whose members have internet connections with sufficiently small lag for a live performance involving dozens of players.

Missed that part. Yes, it makes sense, of course. But kudos to the editor -- it sounded seamless.

Interestingly, this is exactly what they did with Williams' "Satelite Celebration" back in the 90s. That was live, and worked surprisingly well (at least if judging by the bootleg recording).

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Interestingly, this is exactly what they did with Williams' "Satelite Celebration" back in the 90s. That was live, and worked surprisingly well (at least if judging by the bootleg recording).

I assume that was not done via the internet, which has much more lag than a direct electromagnetic transmission at light speed.

Awesome video for an awesome piece of music! And coolest of all, seeing John playing and adressing the camera... As always it's heartening to see him doing well.

It was interesting to hear another performance of the music, for example the dissonant background being mixed higher than usual during the crescendo around minute 6.

Looks like Jerry Goldsmith (the guy with the white hair) on the right of that photo behind him. No clue who the two ladies are between Williams and what looks like Goldsmith.

This is officially the coolest Covid video on the internet!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Missed that part. Yes, it makes sense, of course. But kudos to the editor -- it sounded seamless.

All the major symphony orchestras have been doing similar renditions of classical repertoire in this fashion since quarantine began. Every part is recorded as a stemmed and then edited and mixed together. It's pretty impressive, and it looks like most ensembles have boiled it down to a technique.