Summon the Heroes by Boston Pops with John Williams - NEW 2020 home recording dedicated to frontline workers

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Did you ever catch the video of him playing The Long Goodbye for Rian during TLJ?

Wait, what? Is that for real?

It seems JW is not sitting in his usual environment. I think so because:

- at his usual workstation there is no door at the left side of the piano, but windows with shutters;

- he has build-in shelves with doors, different from the ones in this video;

- normally he uses an adjustable drawing table at his left side and not an antique desk.

So either the maestro has different workstations at home, but more likely he is in a different house.

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wait, what? Is that for real?

I think Rian Johnson posted it on his social media. It's not very long, but you have to assume he recorded the whole thing!

I never saw the video! I know he did that for the score, though.

There was also a clip of in the Rise of Skywalker documentary of him playing the Rey’s Theme chimes.

41 minutes ago, MikeH said:

It’s his normal house, you’re probably thinking of his bungalow/office at Amblin or whatever it’s called now. 

https://blogs.chapman.edu/copa/2014/03/25/were-off-to-see-the-wizard-a-meeting-with-composer-john-williams/

Ah yes, but what you are linking to must be also his home then (look at the shelves). And the place below must be his Amblin office, am I correct? Either way he likes the set-up of his workstation like that😄

25316557-72DB-46FC-9B4D-4CA42416887B.jpeg

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

Did you ever catch the video of him playing The Long Goodbye for Rian during TLJ?

I'm beginning to think we collectively imagined we saw this video when we actually just read a description of it here:

https://postperspective.com/ren-klyce-mixing-score-star-wars-last-jedi/

On that day that John sat down and played “The Long Goodbye” piano piece, Rian was so excited that he pulled out his iPhone and filmed the whole thing. John said, “Only for you, Rian, do I do this.” It was a very special moment.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

It reminded me of this

I thought of that too!!

My thoughts when Williams turns around and introduces himself:

hqdefault.jpg

"Howdy, stranger. This is John Williams. If things have gone wrong, then I'm talking to myself, and you've got a mask around your face. See, there's enough shit in here to fuck JJ Baby good, but if you're listening to this then unfortunately, he has got to me first. I--"

"Uhhhhhh, and for that we are so, so thankful. On the behalf of the Boston Pops, John Williams and I would like to dedicate this special performance..."

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm beginning to think we collectively imagined we saw this video when we actually just read a description of it here:

No, Johnson posted a little clip!

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

No, Johnson posted a little clip!

I have to think there'd have been a JWFan thread devoted just to a clip like that if it existed.  All I could find here was this post from @Not Mr. Big  But I can't find whatever tweet he was referring to.

On 12/16/2016 at 2:50 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder if Rian Johnson was at the sessions.  I've heard neither Johnson nor Williams mention each other (apart from a tweet from Johnson about The Long Goodbye)

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have to think there'd have been a JWFan thread devoted just to a clip like that if it existed.  All I could find here was this post from @Not Mr. Big  But I can't find whatever tweet he was referring to.

The clip was posted after the movie, I'm pretty sure.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That would have been 2016 so I think Big was just talking about Johnson mentioning his love of the film itself (evidenced here as well)

Also I think the issue may be that Rian Johnson got all paranoid and deleted swaths of his Twitter history after the whole James Gunn fiasco so depending on when he shared it, it may be gone from his feed.

But that still wouldn't explain why we can't find any record of it being shared on JWFan. That would be super weird if it just never made it over here.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That would have been 2016 so I think Big was just talking about Johnson mentioning his love of the film itself (evidenced here as well)

Also I think the issue may be that Rian Johnson got all paranoid and deleted swaths of his Twitter history after the whole James Gunn fiasco so depending on when he shared it, it may be gone from his feed.

But that still wouldn't explain why we can't find any record of it being shared on JWFan. That would be super weird if it just never made it over here.

I think it being posted here is how I saw it.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The clip was after the release of the film.  At the time I was more referring to Johnson and Williams in general judging from his tweets.

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The clip was after the release of the film.  I was more referring to Johnson and Williams in general judging from his tweets.

Ok ok but somebody find the freaking clip!

5 hours ago, thx99 said:

It technically hasn't been decades, @Thor.  In 2012, he played a bit of piano on a 60 Minutes segment on the release of Lincoln and also as part of a Brian Williams interview focusing initially on the music he's composed for the Olympic Games, as seen here:

And we see him playing the chimes motif on piano for Daisy in the TROS featurette (presumably the piano solo from The Force is With You).

55 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

We might need to ask Rian to reupload it! I remember it being a phone recording.

There was some exclusive TLJ featurette that someone recorded on their phone, which played before the movie started in some US cinema (and hilariously spoiled the final cue of the film). I wonder if that featurette had the footage?

Sadly it was never released officially (only some totally different VR 360 thing) so the phone recording that person captured is the only known copy we have... and I have no idea who uploaded it or which thread it was posted in.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And we see him playing the chimes motif on piano for Daisy in the TROS featurette (presumably the piano solo from The Force is With You).

There was some exclusive TLJ featurette that someone recorded on their phone, which played before the movie started in some US cinema (and hilariously spoiled the final cue of the film). I wonder if that featurette had the footage?

Sadly it was never released officially (only some totally different VR 360 thing) so the phone recording that person captured is the only known copy we have... and I have no idea who uploaded it or which thread it was posted in.

I'm no forum search wizard, but what if we looked up the phrase "only for you"? I can see people quoting that in reaction to the video.

If we’re including clips of JW playing music that is not his own, at Tanglewood in 2013 (I think?) he accompanied Audra MacDonald, just the two of them, on As Time Goes By.

This is the only YouTube clip I can find, and it’s not great quality, but it was electric live (I was there :)).

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Keith conducting is just for show, right?  These guys had to have all performed on their own time to a click track in their ear right?

But who created the click track? Probably based on a performance conducted by Lockhart or JW.

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Cool!   What a rare treat to see Williams playing his own music at his home piano!

Also, has Keith Lockhart lost weight or something?  He looks different.

He's grown a corona beard, however quite unimpressive...

13 hours ago, Thor said:

And I love how they solved the piece itself, visually and musically. It's a fantastic one, and my 'goosebump meter' always rockets sky high whenever the piece reaches its break at 6:15.

Yeah, from there on until the end is the best part of the piece.

Speaking of these post-MEMOIRS/Leno piano bits, I just now remembered another, more recent one myself -- when he played the Peter Gunn theme at the Mancini celebration a few years ago. It's not on Youtube, but I believe Marilee Bradford (Jon Burlingame's wife) shot a little bit of the end on her phone, and put it on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/marilee.bradford/videos/vb.511912916/10154702558492917/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

(again, the embed doesn't work, but it's there).

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm also happy they are performing this particular piece. I remember hearing it in 1996 without knowing who composed it. It's such a memorable melody. I remember playing it once and one of my mates, who cared little about JW or film scores, said "oh, this is the Atlanta olympic theme, isn't it?". And that must have been something like 7-8 years after the games. Shows you how good this tune is. :)

It's my favourite of his olympic pieces. And of all his celebratory fanfares perhaps the one that's closest to his "serious" concert works.

This is the correct ranking:

1. The Olympic Spirit

2. Summon the Heroes

3. Call of the Champions

4. Olympic Fanfare & Theme

5. We're Lookin' Good (yes, I include the special Olympics)

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

1. The Olympic Spirit

2. Summon the Heroes

3. Call of the Champions

4. Olympic Fanfare & Theme

Wait, he's written 5 separate Olympics pieces? :o

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

1. Bugler's Drean and Olympic Fanfare (JW likes this combo so much that he even recorded it!)

2. The Olympic Spirit

3. Summon the Heroes

4. Call of the Champions

Almost correct, but the Olympic Fanfare gets much better if proceeded by Bugler's Dream! :)

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Plus there’s his Winter Games Fanfare which isn’t technically for the Olympics but totally counts in spirit.

50 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yes, and also various variations of them.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Speaking of these post-MEMOIRS/Leno piano bits, I just now remembered another, more recent one myself -- when he played the Peter Gunn theme at the Mancini celebration a few years ago. It's not on Youtube, but I believe Marilee Bradford (Jon Burlingame's wife) shot a little bit of the end on her phone, and put it on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/marilee.bradford/videos/vb.511912916/10154702558492917/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

(again, the embed doesn't work, but it's there).

nah cant get to it

3 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

What I'm wondering is why is whatever he’s working on at that desk appears to be on the type of paper he uses for his film score sketches, rather than what he uses for concert works (which I believe he always writes in full score, as in the trumpet concerto example below). I would have assumed it'd be that new violin concerto, but could we have another Book Thief type surprise coming?

🤔

image.png

What I'm wondering is why is there a Furby sitting behind his score sheet?

By the way, I stumbled on this piece I didn't know: a variation on Summon the Heroes, which according to the video description was used during medal ceremonies.

Do we know if it was written by JW himself?