Film Symphony Orchestra Williams recordings

King Mark

Yes, I'm a big fan of these videos. Their performance of The Lost World is particularly exuberant!

Definitely recommend this channel for anyone missing live orchestras in this current pandemic.

So these are YouTube only, no c.d. or something?

He plays a lot of stuff we don't have many performances of. I hope he does Han solo and the Princess  (oh wait he did but the old one and a very nice performance)

They did a couple of year ago a tour where they played in two programmes I think most of Williams SIgnature Editions from Hal Leonard. It was a great success. 

They recorded both programmes:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4bZuHXZ21jKOseNHqjIsIA?si=lpxKWeEySQ2TFmoeijBGuA

And here you can buy the 4CD package:

https://filmsymphony.es/producto/especial-john-williams/

The conductor Constantino Martinez-Orts is a teacher of conducting himself at Berklee in Valencia, my hometown.

Wow awesome! I wasn't aware of these videos. The performance of "The Patriot" is awesome -- ridiculously fast tempo near the end but somehow still executed very well. 

It's certainly better than those old Silva / Prague compilations. However, the sound is kinda rough, and there's some strange mixing and tempo choices here and there, so I don't think I need to get it on CD. The playing and timing also isn't top notch.

I'm not very fond of Kunzel's JW recordings; I often find the orchestral sound to be too opaque. But the one album I've got (the Spielberg one) feels of a higher level of musicianship.

The orchestra isn't quite as polished as the ones in Boston, London, and LA (some of the brass struggle with intonation occasionally, and they do miss notes on some of the more difficult passages) but their energy and clear enjoyment of the music is infectious, and makes for a great listen.  The conductor's enthusiasm is also very fun to watch.

How great is this?! They posted this two days ago, slightly edging out the Boston Pops with their video (not that it's a contest!):

Would love to see more orchestras follow suit with these types of videos. Amazing work!

And the real deal from last year:

Such an infectiously fun piece, I wish Williams pulled this out more often than, well, never.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What, @JTWfan77?

I wasn't understanding. Are you saying that all the Kunzel ones except the Spielberg one are worse performed than this ensemble?

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

Book Thief Concert Suite

:o

Is this the same one Williams played in 2014 then buried? Such a beautiful piece and the perfect distillation of the score.

You can listen for free on Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, etc to see if it's the one you're thinking about! 

It's track 6

https://open.spotify.com/album/4bZuHXZ21jKOseNHqjIsIA?si=gQrUhv6kTHuC4uycOhesAA

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Be5jwugjyjacuidvnqovakcefty

https://music.apple.com/bs/album/1482900331

Oh, it's on youtube as well

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can listen for free on Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, etc to see if it's the one you're thinking about! 

I did, Jay, and I wanted confirmation or clarification from someone who might know more than I.

You seem to have been pretty prolific this past week for posts like this, any particular reason why? 

20 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I did, Jay, and I wanted confirmation or clarification from someone who might know more than I.

Oh you heard this version, and was wondering if it's the same as the 2014 suite or a different suite, I see!

I don't know the answer, unfortunately.

You seem to have been pretty prolific this past week for posts like this, any particular reason why? 

What do you mean?

Just now, Jay said:

What do you mean?

This past week or so I feel like you've posted more of these "check it out for yourself" videos than normal. I don't want to misinterpret the tone of them, though.

Just now, Romão said:

I saw them live last year, it was great fun

Yeah, normally I'm put off by these big spectacle shows, but that Cantina Band just feels cute to me.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

This past week or so I feel like you've posted more of these "check it out for yourself" videos than normal. I don't want to misinterpret the tone of them, though.

I don't think I have >shrug<

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

I wasn't understanding. Are you saying that all the Kunzel ones except the Spielberg one are worse performed than this ensemble?

No, I'm saying that the Spielberg one is the only Kunzel JW album I know well enough to compare with anything else. :)

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

I know what you mean, but their exuberance and the maestro's obvious love of the material shines through. As far as this sort of concerts go, you could do a lot worse

Yeah, to clarify, I used cute earlier to mean I surprisingly wasn't annoyed by it, I was actually smiling at the goofiness of it.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Do your own homework, Nick!

That's the tone you're referring to? :)

Definitely not a tone I intended anywhere if it was interpreted that way

I was only trying to be helpful

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do your own homework, Nick!

That's the tone you're referring to? :)

Something like that, yeah. "Let me Google that for you", that kind of thing.

Just now, Jay said:

Definitely not a tone I intended anywhere if it was interpreted that way

I was only trying to be helpful

Thank you for your clarification, I'm glad I asked. :)

They are excellent performances.  The youtube videos add an element of fun--I think the camera person might have a thing for the timpanist.

Men of Yorktown should be a standard by now at July 4th concerts and such, but it does not seem to be.  Recordings like this should help.  

Well their Last Jedi performance on that recent Silva Screen sci-fi compilation is as bad as anything they have ever done. I find they seem to struggle with Williams as a matter of course. Their early John Barry albums are fantastic. I also enjoy most of their Goldsmith performances, even the early ones. Perhaps Williams is too intricate for them. I don't know.

I wonder why that is. They've been at it for years. Is it just that the LSO has higher entrance requirements for sightreading ability? Or do they just practice harder and over longer hours to improve their skills? Or perhaps the Prague players don't earn enough and have to keep second jobs?

It's nothing new that the quality between orchestras varies, and it's surely a combination of different things. For starters, it's probably harder competition when there's a vacancy at the LSO, compared to the CoPPO.

But the LSO hasn't always been as good as they are. I own some shoddy film compilation recordings of them from around the time JW started recording with them.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

...if given the necessary time for practicing and takes.

Which unfortunately adds to the cost