Film Symphony Orchestra Williams recordings

King Mark

I'm loving these videos.  Passionate performances, wonderful sound...  looks like they put on a great show!

On 5/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

No, I'm saying that the Spielberg one is the only Kunzel JW album I know well enough to compare with anything else. :)

But that album has various different performances. Some are new and some are from previous releases.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, p0llux said:

Anybody know who else performs their version of The Lost World theme? 

Kunzel performed this arrangment first, if I'm not mistaken, on his GREAT MOVIE SCORES: THE FILMS OF STEVEN SPIELBERG album.  Great arrangement with great energy!

-Erik-

11 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

But that album has various different performances. Some are new and some are from previous releases.

I'm aware of that. Still, I find it to be overall better than the JW boxset I listened to from Film Symphony Orchestra.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm aware of that. Still, I find it to be overall better than the JW boxset I listened to from Film Symphony Orchestra.

Yeah, live albums just aren't my thing.  I'd love to hear what they sound like on a "studio" recording.

-Erik-

5 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Yeah, live albums just aren't my thing.  

-Erik-

Oh, I love live recordings, if done right and by a great ensemble. The energy of a live performance is something else, and I understand it if people find the energy of the Film Symphony Orchestra alluring.

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

For some reason these sound better than a lot of studio recordings

I guess that depends on how you personally define better sounding. They definitely sound different.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, I love live recordings, if done right and by a great ensemble. The energy of a live performance is something else, and I understand it if people find the energy of the Film Symphony Orchestra alluring.

Sure, but even great ensembles with stumble now and then.   

Just now, Erik Woods said:

Sure, but even great ensembles with stumble now and then.   

True. But it's quite common to record the same live performance two or three times, then use the best takes on the album. Of course, I don't expect a live performance or a combination of live performances to be flawless.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

True. But it's quite common to record the same live performance two or three times, then use the best takes on the album. Of course, I don't expect a live performance or a combination of live performances to be flawless.

Sure, but this orchestra was on tour if I'm not mistaken and might have only played one show per venue. 

1 minute ago, Erik Woods said:

Sure, but this orchestra was on tour if I'm not mistaken and might have only played one show per venue. 

They could still have recovered it at two different venues with similar acoustics, or planned two concerts in the largest city. For all we know, perhaps they did.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They could still have recovered it at two different venues with similar acoustics, or planned two concerts in the largest city. For all we know, perhaps they did.

I was looking at tour dates and from what I see they perform only once and then move on.  HOWEVER, they performed 9 times in Madrid at the National Auditorum, which was there last stop. Anyway, I applaud ANY orchestra that wants to help promote film music.  And all these guys do IS play film music.  Good on them!

12 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

they performed 9 times in Madrid at the National Auditorum

Fond memories ... we were there 10 years ago. It's an enormous concert hall and we experienced the longest concert (off the top of my head: E.T., Raiders March, Saxophone concerto from CMIYC, Star Wars Suite, Empire Suite, Jedi piece, Phantom suite, pieces from AOTC and ROTS, Amistad as an encore - it was exhausting, for the audience as well as the orchestra; for the former a good thing) with John Williams' music I have ever heard of. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Since this was discussed earlier, I checked the discs I already have from the FSO (the remaining ones should arrive sometime next week) and with one exception, they were all recorded over two different dates on the same venue.

They are decent. I've heard to parts of their recent all-John Williams disc, recorded during last years tour, and some pieces were nicely performed, others not so much. 

When I attended their concert in one of their dates in Portugal, I did enjoy their performances, even though I could do without all the lightning effects, silly dressing from the orchestra members and a few other shenanigans.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

some pieces were nicely performed, others not so much. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I could do without all the lightning effects, silly dressing from the orchestra members and a few other shenanigans.

Agreed! Kind of cringeworthy.

I wonder if the apparent quality of the performances is due more to the over repetition than actual artistry. They basically tour one program with some minor tweaks all year long.

Last year, their John Williams tour seemed to be a two program tour, though several pieces would show up in both programs.

I enjoyed the lighting, outfits, and shenanigans. My favorite was "The Tale of Viktor Navorski", with the clarinet soloist's back and forth with the orchestra and conductor. Very well performed, enjoyable, and amusing.

The performances are very good.  The only time I hear some issues is with the strings tying to play those Williams chords like in Warhorse.  

5 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I could do without all the lightning effects, silly dressing from the orchestra members and a few other shenanigans.

it would really spoil the concert for me, it's sickening.  :-S

11 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Laser effects, mirror balls... John Williams must be rolling around in his grave!

The first and I think only time a Simpsons character mentioned JW by name!

It’s been many years since I’ve seen it, but if I recall he was referenced pretty heavily in Family Guy - and there are three movie-length Star Wars specials.  So I’d bet his name is spoken.  I think there’s a gag in one of those specials where they replace him with Danny Elfman for some reason?  I don’t know, man, that show was dumb as shit.

I'm using Spotify for my very first time after finally discovering I don't need to install that stupid application anymore and can just use Facebook. Listening to their Star Wars album now. Love the tempos and recording quality, but yes, their performances aren't the best. Still gonna keel listening. Oh no, ads!

Halfway through the Star Wars album. It's a mixed bag.

Some things are really great: never have I heard a flute player finish Yoda's theme so beautifully and the strings in Anakin's theme are amazing as well. Also loved their Flag Parade version because you can clearly hear they're having the time of their lives playing it and the quality of the recording is extremely detailed and vibrant.

But, it is not 100% perfect. Beats are missed, random people make random and unexpected mistakes. 

Is it better than Prague? Well, obviously. What isn't? They don't bother with fanmade arrangements for starters and this conductor does really interesting things, but I wouldn't buy these, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I just came across this on you tube

Is that different from "Theme from Angela's Ashes" on the OST and is there an actual suite Williams revised that's not on the OST? i'm a bit unclear about what he performed with the Boston Pops on TV

There is a 20 minutes suite for narrator, cello, harp, piano and orchestra, that was broadcast through WGBH's Evening at Pops in 2000. In that same Summer, Williams conducted it at Tanglewood, and that was released a few years ago through the BSO label, digitally only. Not sure if it is still available.

23 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

There is a 20 minutes suite for narrator, cello, harp, piano and orchestra, that was broadcast through WGBH's Evening at Pops in 1991. In that same Summer, Williams conducted it at Tanglewood, and that was released a few years ago through the BSO label, digitally only. Not sure if it is still available.

You mean this? 

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

You mean this? 

Yes, though that's just half of the whole thing. The digital only release of the Tanglewood performance is currently unavailable, as the BSO online store is closed.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Is that different from "Theme from Angela's Ashes" on the OST and is there an actual suite Williams revised that's not on the OST? i'm a bit unclear about what he performed with the Boston Pops on TV

34 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

There is a 20 minutes suite for narrator, cello, harp, piano and orchestra, that was broadcast through WGBH's Evening at Pops in 1991. In that same Summer, Williams conducted it at Tanglewood, and that was released a few years ago through the BSO label, digitally only. Not sure if it is still available.

Angela's Ashes in 1991?

39 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Yes, though that's just half of the whole thing. The digital only release of the Tanglewood performance is currently unavailable, as the BSO online store is closed.

Here is part 2 ;)

On 5/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

Last year, their John Williams tour seemed to be a two program tour, though several pieces would show up in both programs.

I attened both programs in my city and there was no overlapping, aside from encores, (Imperial march and cantina band)

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I attened both programs in my city and there was no overlapping, aside from encores, (Imperial march and cantina band)

That seems to be the same thing as on the CD release.

• 1 month later...

This channel has been popping up on my Youtube recommendations lately. I've never heard of Film Symphony Orchestra but as their name suggests, they appear to be an orchestra that plays a boatload of film score pieces. They've got a lot of JW stuff on their channel. I'm not sure I've ever seen their work discussed here before.

Are you all familiar with them? What do you think of their performance of JW pieces?

Personally, I think they are a little hit and miss. Their War Horse performance is quite nice but their rendition of The Imperial March sounds too clipped, almost staccato. 

Also, I think their outfits are ridiculous and the conductor is sometimes quite humorous with his gestures and facial expressions but that is often the case with showy conductors. If you want to see some real over-the-top stuff, watch the video that autoplays on their website: https://filmsymphony.es/en/

I generally like them. I always tune in when a new video is uploaded. 

They're definitely no LSO, but a lot of the pieces they play are benefitted by their extra energy that other orchestras don't have.

Haven't checked all those videos, but I do have their CD releases, and they are indeed hit and miss (I think more of the later than of the former...).

Unfortunately their energy doesn't makes up for all those misses. The recent Williams 4-CD set starts with a terrible Summon the Heroes that makes me want to stop listening to it during the very first track.

Truth be told, this years special video release was surprisingly good, though I could do without all the silly outfits and shenanigans going on in the stage. They seem to plan to make it available again sometime soon: https://filmsymphony.es/en/product/concierto-fin-de-gira/

I actually think they are very very very good. Some very good performances and most of all a very good selection of music. I discovered them through youtube suggestions too and I generally quite enjoy their performances.

The thing of note is ofcourse the melodramatic conductor. He's too expressive as if he's giving a stage dramatic performance. But I don't mind as long as he gets good music out of the orchestra.

I am trying to find it but for the life of me cannot find it - was it this same conductor or some other conductor - i saw a video of a performance - it was maybe the forrest gump theme - where the conductor hammed it up to the heavens - it was weirdly entertaining the watch - the performance was very good too.

I thought it was this same conductor but I could be mistaken and I think it was forest gump but I could be mistaken about that too.

But I remember the youtube comments section was full of comments about the conductor. I checked the comments section of the film symphony orchestra and I think they delete all their comments. They don't have comments on any of their videos it seems. I haven't been able to locate it but would love to watch that video again.