Only ONE Binary Sunset Finale!

MikeH

Only ONE Binary Sunset Finale!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which Binary Sunset Finale would you keep above all the others?

• Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • The Last Jedi
    • The Rise of Skywalker

I would be interested to see if JW wrote any alternate versions for TFA that didn’t include it. Listening to the concert version of Jedi Steps, there are glimpses of what could’ve been if he’d just kept building on that theme and then crescendoing into the end credits. It’d definitely be a darker approach. 

We do know that there’s an alternate for TROS that at least has a different bridge to the end credits instead of simply repeating TFA. 

27 minutes ago, MikeH said:

I would be interested to see if JW wrote any alternate versions for TFA that didn’t include it. Listening to the concert version of Jedi Steps, there are glimpses of what could’ve been if he’d just kept building on that theme and then crescendoing into the end credits. It’d definitely be a darker approach. 

We do know that there’s an alternate for TROS that at least has a different bridge to the end credits instead of simply repeating TFA. 

Really?!

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

There is an alternate version of Jedi Steps but, based on what the lead french horn player said, the actual Binary Sunset recording was the same in both versions (and Williams didn't re-record it when they recorded the new version of Jedi Steps).

I think we know there's no alternates for the very end of The Last Jedi, but originally there was a different version of Luke's death.

TROS was the perfect opportunity for a Rey's Theme finale, to signify that a new journey lies ahead for Rey, not just a literal regurgitation of the musical identity that began Luke's journey. Such predictable and unimaginative spotting; shame these filmmakers just couldn't break out of that mold with some of these musical choices.

Can I pick none of them? Haha.

I like the idea best in ROTS. But the transition to the credits has always been so unsatisfying for me. With Star Wars, I want the beginning of the credits to provide some musical resolution, but with ROTS, it's just kind of a weird surprise, like, "Oh, okay, the movie's...over?"

TFA I like a little better in terms of the transition, but it was also the film that turned the Force theme ending from a one-time deal to a very misguided tradition.

40 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

What about the best non-binary sunset SW music ending? That's gotta be AOTC right? 

Yes indeed!

46 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

What about the best non-binary sunset SW music ending? That's gotta be AOTC right? 

Yep, AOTC. Not even a contest for me. He never achieved those dizzying heights in the 4 finale cues that followed (doesn't help that 2 of them just copy + pasted the previous two films).

Those final cues were traditionally the best opportunity to present the new themes in their most dynamic statements, with all the dialogue and sound effects stripped back. Such a missed opportunity, doubly so when the material preceding Binary Sunset in all 3 sequels was significantly more interesting.

For that binary sunset moment, I also go with Revenge of the Sith, although I kind of like the consistency ending on the sequels (in which I prefer TLJ rendition, I think also that the musical moment has more sense than in the other two sequels).

56 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

(in which I prefer TLJ rendition, I think also that the musical moment has more sense than in the other two sequels).

Agreed. Of the 4 instances of Binary Sunset in the sequels, the Last Jedi ones make the most sense. Thematically, the young boy gazing at the stars is a beautiful companion to that original scene in Star Wars, and it makes perfect sense to use when Luke's journey comes full circle during his death.

Both Abrams renditions are so damn lazy and obvious. Oh, it's Luke on an island! We need Binary Sunset because he had a scene with that music decades ago! Oh look, Rey's at the same place Luke once looked at a sunset, in a totally different emotional place having completed her journey. Binary Sunset music!

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

ANH, ESB, and AOTC are all so stinking good, and I actually really like the TPM transition too. If I absolutely had to choose, though, I'd probably go with ANH.

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Hmmm. I think I have to give this one a proper re-listen tonight.

I suspect I only listened to the CD once when it came out.

Thanks for pointing that out. :-D

Revenge of the Sith, mostly because of all four its the only actual Star Wars film.

The other three (while I will admit two of them are better-made movies than Sith) sit outside the cycle. Its like if some composer decided to do a sequel to Gotterdamerung and we were now asked to pretend it was part of the Ring Cycle.

It was more of a comparison to accentuate how foreign the sequel trilogy is to the body of the "saga". In terms of actually comparing Star Wars films to the Ring...Wagner would be spinning in his grave to hear of Gotterdamerung being compared to Return of the Jedi.

On 5/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, gkgyver said:

There's only one Binary Sunset, and none of the above nostalgia fills qualify. 

Agreed.

For this poll: Revenge of the Sith.