"The Old Death Star" from Ep. 9 Appreciation Thread

Falstaft

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

That builds to the first climax, pathetically dialed down in the film-mix, when the Death Star II wreckage is revealed.

Indeed. What genius thought, "hmm, the waves should really be the loudest element in the mix here? Who needs to hear that obnoxious music anyway?"

I like the random reminiscence of the floating panama hat

This is not the first and not the last moment this score reminded me of previous Williams scores in a form of a false deja vu. This is part of the reason I liked the film very much on the first watching. The music was magical "classical Williams".

16 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I like the random reminiscence of the floating panama hat

This is not the first and not the last moment this score reminded me of previous Williams scores in a form of a false deja vu. This is part of the reason I liked the film very much on the first watching. The music was magical "classical Williams".

That section reminds me of this fragment from AOTC:

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On of my favourite bits in the score is the rhythmic ostinato that starts ca. 2:23. Reminds me of this:

You and your Bruckner again! :lol:

Karol

12 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Let's celebrate another cue from TROS -- "The Old Death Star" (or 5m10, "Landing At?")!

The last section is presumably 5M12 “Off the Waterfront”. And I suspect at least some of 5M10 was replaced with the unknown cue or insert “It Fits!”.

JKMS happened to post a photo from the section that underscores lining up the dagger on November 15th, just a few days after the November 11th cut:

One thing I noticed is the music as the heroes approach the cliff and see the Death Star wreckage. The harmony follows a pattern @Falstaft identified in a musicology blog post a couple of years ago for TLJ. It's a pattern of keys rising by 5ths, the most spectacular instance he cited being that in "Escape" from TLJ's OST, which goes on for a full minute! The pattern is notable because going up by 5ths has long been associated with rising tension in the classical world (just as the opposite, moving down by 5ths, has been associated with the opposite - a resolving effect). So Williams seems to be using the harmonic device to build tension or suspense, which certainly fits the bill in the old Death Star scene, as it's the moment of its discovery by the gang.

In the music, it's those eerie minor chords we hear after the first bit of twisted string lines. They go F#m - C#m - G#m to form the pattern of rising 5ths. Notice the brass melody rises up through a minor chord as well (C# - E - G#) to double the effect of it being an "aha!" moment:

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On of my favourite bits in the score is the rhythmic ostinato that starts ca. 2:23. Reminds me of this:

It was so badass in theaters!  Honestly one of the few moments where the score really got to have an impact on my viewing. 

14 hours ago, Falstaft said:

This iteration of the March is clearly the most impressive statement of that theme in the entire Sequel Trilogy,

Not that high of a bar to clear, but it just occurred to me after you mention it that it's been so, so long since we've gotten the Imperial March in a majestic setting. I love all of the tortured and brooding statements we get in Revenge of the Sith, but the last time we got a regal Imperial March was in the Attack of the Clones finale as you mention it, and and the last time before that...Return of the Jedi?

The statement we have here reminds me most closely of the one on Aboard the Executor, which too has a rising internal figure. In the words of Martha Stewart..."it's a good thing."

10 hours ago, Ludwig said:

In the music, it's those eerie minor chords we hear after the first bit of twisted string lines. They go F#m - C#m - G#m to form the pattern of rising 5ths. Notice the brass melody rises up through a minor chord as well (C# - E - G#) to double the effect of it being an "aha!" moment:

Awesome catch, @Ludwig. I need to give the score a more thorough listen to see if there are other instances of that rising 5th idea.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Not that high of a bar to clear, but it just occurred to me after you mention it that it's been so, so long since we've gotten the Imperial March in a majestic setting. I love all of the tortured and brooding statements we get in Revenge of the Sith, but the last time we got a regal Imperial March was in the Attack of the Clones finale as you mention it, and and the last time before that...Return of the Jedi?

Exactly! And this is the primary reason I'm okay with JW using the Imperial March here in such an unsubtle way -- he's been super restrained with it for 3 or so movies before hand, it's due a big, bold statement. I'm a little less thrilled with the use of the theme for the rising Star Destroyers at the beginning of the movie, though it's another cool arrangement. I love the sheer percussiveness of the final few measures, around 2:07-2:11.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:36 AM, crumbs said:

Indeed. What genius thought, "hmm, the waves should really be the loudest element in the mix here? Who needs to hear that obnoxious music anyway?"

That ostinato mimics the waves, but as we know, music isn't allowed to illustrate something anymore, only linger in the background.

It seems JJ was such a big fan of this cue, they tracked the Death Star reveal into Rey's journey to Exogol! They tried to hide their adoration with more pitch-shifting  but nothing slips past these ears ;)

...and straight after a lengthy section tracked from You're Han Solo! from TFA, no less.