Twilight Time is closing down

Disco Stu

Twilight Time, the only home video company that always included iso score tracks, is no more.

https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/its-twilight-time-for-us/

After nine years of successful operations in which 380 motion pictures from the 1930s to the 2010s have been released on DVD and Blu-ray disc, the home video label Twilight Time founded by veteran Hollywood studio executives and filmmakers Brian Jamieson and the late, dearly celebrated Nick Redman, will not release any further titles and we will be winding down operations this summer. A changing market, the rising costs of title acquisitions and the passing of longtime partner and company spokesman Nick Redman, are key reasons for the closure.

As part of our winding down process, there will be a one-time reduction in prices to $3.95, $4.45, $6.95 and $11.95 as of Monday, May 11th at www.TwilightTimeMovies.com. Cinemagistics/TwilightTimeMovies.com will continue to sell titles while available through June 30th, at which time they and Twilight Time will cease operations. Remaining inventory will be acquired and distributed exclusively by Screen Archives – effective July 1st 2020.

When launched in 2011, Twilight Time pioneered the concept of bringing rare and distinctive films of all genres to the marketplace in 3,000-unit Limited Editions, exclusively available at two website destinations: Screen Archives Entertainment and later Twilight Time Movies. This allowed devoted movie fans to obtain physical copies of highly desired titles which did not command shelf space at local brick and mortar stores. Nick aptly named the venture Twilight Time, because eventually the concept of film as physical goods would have a ‘sell-by date’ possibly sooner rather than later. Nick once said, “At the onset we never envisaged we would be around for nearly a decade before it was time for the sun to set on the company.”

During that time, the Twilight Time catalog has included fabled films from the libraries of Twentieth Century Fox, Sony Pictures, MGM/United Artists, Universal Studios, Film 4, Protagonist Pictures, Toei Company and other entities, and showcased many Academy Award®- and international prize-winning titles. Thanks to Nick Redman’s 30+ years as an award-winning film music historian and preservationist, most releases have included synchronized Isolated Music or Music-and-Effects Tracks that provided a rare platform for the lauded and unsung composers so vital to the filmmaking process. Many offerings also provided informative Audio Commentary tracks involving co-founder Redman and a host of internationally noted film historians that expertly contextualized and enhanced the viewing experience.

From the beginning, the core Twilight Time players – essayist and commentary contributor Julie Kirgo, packaging designer Louis Falzarano, soundtrack editor/music historian Mike Matessino, disc authoring supervisor Jeff Jewett, and our project coordinator Mike Finnegan – have played essential and “best in class” roles in this unique venture. We also want to recognize the extraordinary help of our Distribution and Marketing partners at Screen Archives and Twilight Time Movies. Most importantly, from the bottom of our hearts we thank you, the appreciative film collector. You have supported us throughout this marvelous journey and will hopefully continue to do so while these “one of a kind” limited-run titles are still accessible to you.

We couldn’t have done it without you – our loyal customers!

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Damn, I was hoping they would eventually get to the rest of Woody’s filmography. Seems they stopped pursuing his films around the time the #MeToo movement peaked. 

I’m definitely gonna be picking up the ones I don’t have on the close out sale

Without labels like TT, all these rare movies will eventually vanish into oblivion. They get little airtime on television, and those watch-em-on-the-internet thing-a-ma-bobs either never have them or they're geolocked from most countries.

Seems the golden era of legacy movie exploration of the 90s, 2000s and 2010s is truly dead. They just want you to watch the latest juvenile Disney shit and that's it.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Damn, I was hoping they would eventually get to the rest of Woody’s filmography. Seems they stopped pursuing his films around the time the #MeToo movement peaked. 

Knowing what Julie Kirgo is like on Facebook, this doesn't surprise me.

FYI Screen Archives has a better selection than the website proper, with comparable prices. Stanley & Iris is not showing up for me anywhere on their site, not sure where you can see it to know it's $6.95.

28 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

FYI Screen Archives has a better selection than the website proper, with comparable prices. Stanley & Iris is not showing up for me anywhere on their site, not sure where you can see it to know it's $6.95.

It was in an email I got 17 hours ago from  twilighttimemovies.com.

And it said:

Stanley and Iris (Blu-ray) (Fewer than 120 titles remain at Twilight Time Movies)

Maybe all 120 were bought during this time?:huh:

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Most likely. I check earlier today too and thought maybe it was just a mobile issue. But on my computer still no results, so it must have sold out quickly.

At screenarcives it's $8.95.

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/32374/STANLEY-&-IRIS-1990/

Screen Archives is buying their back catalog

SCREEN ARCHIVES ACQUIRES TWILIGHT TIME BACK CATALOG

May 14, 2020 -- Screen Archives Entertainment has reached an agreement with Twilight Time Movies to purchase the company’s extensive Twilight Time Movies inventory or back catalog, along with reprint rights of limited titles, and its website effective July 1, 2020. The agreement ensures that the Twilight Time label will continue indefinitely, according to the principals.  

Screen Archives has served as the primary distribution partner to Twilight Time since its beginning, working with the late Nick Redman and co-founder Brian Jamieson.  

Jamieson, a veteran studio executive and filmmaker will continue to provide marketing expertise and support to Screen Archives during the transition.

Screen Archives president Craig Spaulding said, “Having worked with Brian and Nick over the years, we took this step because we have always enjoyed a good relationship with Brian (and Nick). We wanted to keep our relationship going and continue to capitalize on Brian’s years of expertise in the industry.

Screen Archives began in 1976 and has grown into a worldwide distributor of soundtracks, DVDs, and Blu-rays. No further details will be made available until after July 1, 2020.

SCREEN ARCHIVES ACQUIRES TWILIGHT TIME BACK CATALOG

May 14, 2020 -- Screen Archives Entertainment has reached an agreement with Twilight Time Movies to purchase the company’s extensive Twilight Time Movies inventory or back catalog, along with reprint rights of limited titles, and its website effective July 1, 2020. The agreement ensures that the Twilight Time label will continue indefinitely, according to the principals.

One minor change on the updated email they sent out.

3 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

How many of you panic bought TT titles like toilet paper?

This doesn’t mean anything. It’s weird messaging, since the original announcement said the same thing. SAE is simply selling off the rest of their inventory. No new titles will be produced. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

This doesn’t mean anything. It’s weird messaging, since the original announcement said the same thing. SAE is simply selling off the rest of their inventory. No new titles will be produced. 

Doesn’t it mean that SAE is buying out TT’s remaining inventory that they had for selling themselves?  I have to admit I didn’t read the announcement closely.

42 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

"The agreement ensures that the Twilight Time label will continue indefinitely"

I guess it means they can reprint titles if they want?