• Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • The Last Jedi
    • The Rise of Skywalker
    • The Clone Wars Film (Kevin Kiner)
    • Rogue One (Michael Giacchino)
    • Solo (John Powell and John Williams)
  2. 2. Has the music of the Star Wars Original Trilogy lost its legitimacy after Disney's revival?

3. 3. Do you think the music from the Prequel Trilogy should have been used in the Disney films?

4. 4. What gives the music of the Sequel Trilogy value and meaning?

• Personal associations
    • In-film associations
    • The quality of the music
    • Metatextual and paratextual associations
    • Connections to Williams' body of classic film scores
    • Connections to Williams' concert works
    • Connections to other music
  5. 5. Which score would you pick as your favorite stand-alone listening experience?

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • The Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • The Last Jedi
    • The Rise of Skywalker

The saga is complete! If you've struggled to contextualize or enjoy the music of the Star Wars Saga after The Rise of Skywalker, this poll is made for you. What makes Star Wars and its music so special to you? 

• 2 months later...

This just turned up on my YouTube recommendations. Apologies if it's already been posted. Anyone watch and willing to summarize? I honestly don't have the energy to hear more complaints about TROS, the movie or the (IMHO phenomenal) score.

24 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

The quote at 2:50 is enough to stop anyone who gets so far (me) from watching any further.

Edit: ok, it did not stop me. Seeing The Phantom Menace at number 8 did.

::headdesk::

I’ve watched the entire thing and regretted it. This video shouldn’t exist in the first place, but the way it’s singling out TROS as the one true *disastrous* score in the series just goes too far in every way.

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

This just turned up on my YouTube recommendations. Apologies if it's already been posted. Anyone watch and willing to summarize? I honestly don't have the energy to hear more complaints about TROS, the movie or the (IMHO phenomenal) score.

Holy mother, he really said The Rise of Shitwalker.

I don't know this guy, but Sideways... He hates the sequels so bad, his analysis of TROS score is just so ridiculous. It seems like this two guys doesn't understand that JW is the one who decided to use Yoda's theme on Luke's scene. They're trying to prise his job but end being absolutely disrespectful to his final Star Wars score.

I mean, who in the world could not recognize JW as the one who put that incredible Main Theme when all ships arrives to Exegol? I can't understand how their minds works, honestly.

Sick of YouTube video essays in general...especially this weird trend where the narrators all have whiny, nasally voices. They’re always snarky and agitated, hyped up...unlistenable...is it possible to talk about these things with a cool voice and a chill attitude? Maybe not.

But definitely sick of John Williams and Star Wars essays especially because they never have anything to point out - positive or negative - that this forum hasn’t ironed out more thoroughly months, years ago, anyway.

Also I don’t care at all about casuals saying “songs” in forum comments and whatnot but get that shit out of your essay...jfc.

In general though I would still agree that Rise of Skywalker is the least effective score in-context by a lot. Many factors at play. The music’s good.

17 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Sick of YouTube video essays in general...especially this weird trend where the narrators all have whiny, nasally voices. They’re always snarky and agitated, hyped up...unlistenable...is it possible to talk about these things with a cool voice and a chill attitude? Maybe not.

But definitely sick of John Williams and Star Wars essays especially because they never have anything to point out - positive or negative - that this forum hasn’t ironed out more thoroughly months, years ago, anyway.

Also I don’t care at all about casuals saying “songs” in forum comments and whatnot but get that shit out of your essay...jfc.

In general though I would still agree that Rise of Skywalker is the least effective score in-context by a lot. Many factors at play. The music’s good.

Funny thing about me: Just as a Star Wars fan, I honestly enjoyed previous videos of Sideaways because those were one of the first musical analysis I've came across, started to listen to Star Wars Oxygen and finally ended up here... And I gotta say, this is another level.

Anyway, is nice to have that kind of content more accesible for another public, but when is absolutely clouded by hate... It's a problem and doesn't add very much to the discussion.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree: easy to forget that our impressions of the score are shaped far more by the album and FYC than the (rather lousy) presentation of the score in the movie itself, where what ought to have been stand out moments (Falcon Flight, The Speeder Chase, etc.) were buried in the mix or tracked over.

51 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree: easy to forget that our impressions of the score are shaped far more by the album and FYC than the (rather lousy) presentation of the score in the movie itself, where what ought to have been stand out moments (Falcon Flight, The Speeder Chase, etc.) were buried in the mix or tracked over.

Honestly, I think nothing can get worst than AOTC. Beautiful music, for sure, but the mix seems so messy to me. Also, IMO John Williams made a way better job introducing themes and using them for especific scenes in the sequels. There are a lot of associations throught the sequels.

I still remember the scene when Williams plays with ours expectations while Rey is in Ochi's ship telling Finn about Palpatine: we start hearing the first notes of Rey/The Emperor themes in a slow version (is she falling to the dark side? she's mad!) to finally show us it is indeed The Emperor's theme and not Rey's anymore (we don't hear it again until very late in the film, maybe Destiny of a Jedi? I'm not sure right now), and the scene ends with Kylo's theme when Rey says: "People keep telling me they know me. I'm afraid no one does" (Wait, does Kylo know her better than her friends?).

Just my opinion.