Lorne Balfe's MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING (2023/24)

antovolk

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Rebecca Ferguson :up:

Lorne Balfe :pukeface:

So it was just pure bullshit that the director wanted a unique expression for each MI film and therefore had to change the main crew.

Or he changed his mind for what genuinely seems to be the Infinity War/Endgame of the franchise

Yeah, considering how successful Fallout was, both in critical and commercial terms, it makes sense he would want more of that. 

In any case, Balfe is becoming the preferred composer for spy movies: Black Widow, Mission: Impossible... Maybe he'll do the next Bond after NTTD?

Balfe is fine by me (love a lot of his work), but it would be neat with a different composer for each film. And director, for that matter. Like they used to.

Plenty of talent. Loved his work on AD ASTRA, for example. As long as the projects are inspiring enough, and he's allowed free reign to mix things up a bit, he's pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Matt C said:

McQuarrie shafted him after one MI film.

I feel bad for him.

Indeed. All those years working together, and all because he allegedly didn't get his own way in regards to how the music was approached in Rogue Nation. These directors and their excessive control, I swear.

It's very easy for one to view Balfe doing 7/8 as a further exercise in Hollywood and audiences preferring a regurgitation of past RCP works because Fallout was perceived as "the best score evar!" by the casual crowd. And yet Ad Astra genuinely surprised me in spite of finding his other works either mediocre (GitS) or absolutely insulting (BB3). So I want to believe that he might be given the opportunity to experiment more, especially given he actually seems to have all the time in the world for once. And yet I can't expect much knowing the direction the last score went, so I'll just be on the fence for now. I'm just sad John Ottman or David Arnold weren't given the call.

43 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

These directors and their excessive control, I swear.

Lol wut

A film is the end result of a director’s vision. The composer is there to serve that vision. 

I bet you want the director to have control when the producer picks a composer you don’t like, but now you want the producers to have control when the director picks a composer you don’t like?

What happens when both align, which is likely the case here. Producers supporting the director and his vision. Who do you blame then?

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Lol wut

A film is the end result of a director’s vision. The composer is there to serve that vision. 

I bet you want the director to have control when the producer picks a composer you don’t like, but now you want the producers to have control when the director picks a composer you don’t like?

What happens when both align, which is likely the case here. Producers supporting the director and his vision. Who do you blame then?

I wasn't being fully serious with that comment, since we don't really know the full extent of the story regarding Kraemer getting the boot. I was just saying that based on what the rumors have said regarding RN, and Balfe being earnest about the final score for Fallout having been meticulously re-edited from what he originally wrote, that McQ certainly has his own way in regards to how he wants the music to be in his flicks.

That being said, this could more likely be a Cruise and Paramount choice, since they ultimately have final say in regards to this franchise. After all, those rumors did state that Tom wanted Kraemer to spruce up the music after the initial results weren't greatly received. It might just depend on what he's feeling this time around.

What is Balfe doing that "classier" composers like Desplat, Shearmur, Arnold and McNeely aren't?

Do they not want to be involved in projects like this? Are they lacking some appealing working method that Zimmer and his crew have perfected?

Is Balfe just cheaper? I like the guy. His audio commentary on the MI6 blu-ray is excellent. I just fail to put 2-and-2 together when he says things like "I wrote my guts out" and the end result is the score we had. Really?

8 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

What is Balfe doing that "classier" composers like Desplat, Shearmur, Arnold and McNeely aren't?

Do they not want to be involved in projects like this? Are they lacking some appealing working method that Zimmer and his crew have perfected?

Is Balfe just cheaper? I like the guy. His audio commentary on the MI6 blu-ray is excellent. I just fail to put 2-and-2 together when he says things like "I wrote my guts out" and the end result is the score we had. Really?

Probably expert at networking.

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Writing a lot of music that doesn't overly draw attention to itself. Some directors definitely want the music that those guys compose, but it seems McQuarrie doesn't.

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Rebecca Ferguson :up:

Lorne Balfe :pukeface:

So it was just pure bullshit that the director wanted a unique expression for each MI film and therefore had to change the main crew.

I'd bet pretend money that that explanation was artistically-populist bullshit from the start. He just wanted Zimmer style music.

Kraemer liking that tweet a few years ago was rather telling. The fact that he then 'clarified' his stance is meaningless, as that's just PR. McQuarrie clearly didn't want Kraemer for the first one.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I guess if McQuarrie got to decide, Kramer wouldn't have scored a single MI film.

Why did he continue working with him after Jack Reacher? Did Cruise force his hand there too?

9 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I was just saying that based on what the rumors have said regarding RN, and Balfe being earnest about the final score for Fallout having been meticulously re-edited from what he originally wrote, that McQ certainly has his own way in regards to how he wants the music to be in his flicks.

Fallout sounds like Balfe wrote 10-15 minutes of music which was then looped and edited over the whole film. And then he wrote EPIC CHOIR for the credits.

53 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Why did he continue working with him after Jack Reacher? Did Cruise force his hand there too?

It makes no sense.

If McQuarrie wanted someone else for Rogue Nation, he should’ve said so (and Cruise would’ve backed him). It’s a dick move to scrap a long time collaborator if the working relationship is solid.

Perhaps we're criticizing the wrong people. Maybe McQuarrie actually wanted to stay true to his "new composer every movie" motto, but Paramount and Cruise saw how wildly successful Fallout were and pushed for more of that. 

This is peak Hollywood: if something goes right, then let's do the same thing over and over again.

There was also a time when every Mission: Impossible movie would have a new director to keep the series fresh. By the time this is released, McQuarrie will have directed four out of eight of these. So yeah.

In my opinion he brought much needed consistency.  The different directors/fresh approaches thing sounds great in theory, but in practice it just resulted in inconsistency.  One good movie (the first), one shitty (the second), one mediocre (the third).  Finally starting with Ghost Protocol, McQuarrie has given the series a tone that I love and has stayed there through 3 movies.  I'll take 4-5-6 over 1-2-3 any day.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

In my opinion he brought much needed consistency.  The different directors/fresh approaches thing sounds great in theory, but in practice it just resulted in inconsistency.  One good movie (the first), one shitty (the second), one mediocre (the third).  Finally starting with Ghost Protocol, McQuarrie has given the series a tone that I love and has stayed there through 3 movies.  I'll take 4-5-6 over 1-2-3 any day.

Ghost Protocol was directed by Brad Bird.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Ghost Protocol was directed by Brad Bird.

Yes, and with an uncredited re-write by McQuarrie.  It's widely known that although he wasn't credited he changed that script significantly.  I consider it the first film in the McQuarrie version of that world.

They should have maintained consistency and had a new director for each installment, which might have resulted in a different composer being assigned.

I don't have a lot of skin in the game on Mission: Impossible series. so I don't care how they run it.  I hear that McQ's movies are excellent, so I see no reason why they couldn't keep him in it.  Certainly it's preferable for producers to go with a successful known quantity than to shake it up and end up with another M:I II.

I haven't seen any M:Is past Ghost Protocol, but separated from the movie, I definitely enjoy Kraemer's score more than Balfe's.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't have a lot of skin in the game on Mission: Impossible series. so I don't care how they run it.  I hear that McQ's movies are excellent, so I see no reason why they couldn't keep him in it.  Certainly it's preferable for producers to go with a successful known quantity than to shake it up and end up with another M:I II.

I haven't seen any M:Is past Ghost Protocol, but separated from the movie, I definitely enjoy Kraemer's score more than Balfe's.

I disagree. A fresh take is preferable. Just look at what happened with HP under that dude that directed parts 5 to 8.

I looked!  I like em all!  The only two HP movies I don't particularly care for are the first and second ones, and even then they're pretty okay, and they did all the heavy lifting for the later, better movies.

The Mission Impossible films have gotten a lot better with Brad Bird and McQuarrie: I'm torn, myself, between Bird's film and "Rogue Nation" as the best of the series. But Fallout wasn't as good, so - as with any film series - it has its ups and downs.

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The Mission Impossible films have gotten a lot better with Brad Bird and McQuarrie: I'm torn, myself, between Bird's film and "Rogue Nation" as the best of the series. But Fallout wasn't as good, so - as with any film series - it has its ups and downs.

No love for the original?

Karol