Is "The Hunt" a concert suite?

Alex

I love the score for The Lost World, and "The Hunt" is one the best unused cues that JW has ever written. I was watching TLW the other day, and it strikes me that, as presented on the OST, the cue wouldn't really fit anywhere (at least in it's entirety). I assume it was written for we first meet the hunters and their chasing the dinosaurs. The beats and visual action don't really match up with the cue except for the beginning of the scene. Are we to assume that there was a longer, extended sequence that JW wrote this cue for? I'd love to find out more info about this cue.

Nope, a normal score cue.  Spielberg simply rejected it,and instead used either no music or tracked music for the scenes it was meant to score.

You can see Williams' intentions here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27327-remixed-restored-the-lost-world-jurassic-park/

I always thought "The Hunt" (or at least bits of it) was the cue that played as the hunters appear over the ridge, but when I rewatched the film recently, I realized it was not the same cue.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Are we to assume that there was a longer, extended sequence that JW wrote this cue for?

The Lost World is said to have a lot of deleted scenes and short sequences that were cut. The score was done early in the process, so that it didn't fit all the alterations that were done afterwards. We have no idea how the early cut which The Hunt was composed for looked like, but it's right to assume that it was more than just slight changes.

The Hunt is a pretty cool action cue as music, buit in the film, it just doesn't feel right to me. The scene has a lot of little changes of pace which the music doesn't seem to recognise.

As unpopular an opinion as this may be (what with JW's original intentions being gospel around here), there are very few bits of tracking in either JP films that I find problematic. SS would've had good reason for changing what he did, and by and large I think he got it right.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

The Hunt is a pretty cool action cue as music, buit in the film, it just doesn't feel right to me. The scene has a lot of little changes of pace which the music doesn't seem to recognise.

Probably because the scene is completely different to the version that JW scored? I mean that’s probably the most likely explanation. Who knows what kind of reshoots or re-editing occurred in this film.

I think those boring deleted scenes added for the extended TV version were removed very early on. The board room scene goes in between the mother screaming and Malcolm in the subway in front of the beach backdrop, which would seem to be a miracle of editing in retrospect.

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The board room scene goes in between the mother screaming and Malcolm in the subway in front of the beach backdrop, which would seem to be a miracle of editing in retrospect.

Nope. I belongs after the subway scene. The meeting with Ludlow is taking place while Malcolm is travelling to Hammond and when he gets there you see Ludlow and the other guys leaving the meeting. No need to destroy the screaming/squealing transition.

The hunt always reminisces me this old Spanish nature doccumentary Intro, Music released by Quartet in 2018.

According to the liner notes, the show was aired in several countries, including the United States. Could have Spielberg seen in his youth, and somehow use it as a temp track? Some of the later images in the video are reminiscent like the jeed jumping in the mud or the herd running from a plane....

Or is another older film that could have been inspiration for the spanish one, and maybe williams?

"Hatari" is mentioned as inpiration for the hunt scenes... but i listened to one track once and it was typical mancini, it did not remind me it at all (but it was not the wholce disc so....)

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The hunt always reminisces me this old Spanish nature doccumentary Intro, Music released by Quartet in 2018.

That actually sounds like it was temped with Herrmann's White Witch Doctor:

The main thing it has in common with the Williams cue are the drums, which for The Lost World are usually attributed to a deliberate King Kong influence.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That actually sounds like it was temped with Herrmann's White Witch Doctor:

Wow! What a cool track. It really jumps out of the speakers.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I do love a good hunt.

That sounds nothing like the piece Luke posted.

It's still the fourth best cue named The Hunt though.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I count three. Which hunt am I missing?

Two by Goldsmith, one by Williams.

PS: I'm not counting Bruckner's hunting scherzo. ;) 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, Brundlefly said:

Oh man, I forgot The Hunt from Planet of the Apes!

And Elfman's superb cue from the Burton remake! Let's not forget that. Also a favourite 'Hunt' cue of mine.