John Williams’ message to USC Thornton Graduates

Alex

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Very awesome!  Thanks for posting!  Glad to see he's doing well.  So this is Tanglewood or his home study?

Home!

https://blogs.chapman.edu/copa/2014/03/25/were-off-to-see-the-wizard-a-meeting-with-composer-john-williams/

Also is that his stopwatch next to his glasses on the desk? 

If you look closely, on the bookshelf behind him there are miniature Cantina Band figures. Doug Adams pointed this out after the Summon the Heroes video was posted online.

It’s a lovely video message, thanks for the heads up.

It’s his routine that every evening after dinner, JW practices piano for several hours and enjoys a vodka tonic. Could you imagine sitting and listening to him play through some classical pieces along with occasional comments and insights from him? I’d be in heaven. 

This is awesome!! I'm graduating high school this year and it's been quite a disappointing spring, to say the least, as all of our senior events have been canceled. Obviously this message is intended specifically for the Thornton school graduates, but I feel that it speaks to all of us graduates, wherever we may be. The little piano excerpt of Pomp & Circumstance is lovely. 

P.S. anyone have any idea what this thing (presumably a stuffed animal of some sort) is? 

image.png

Monkey stuffed animal? :D

5 hours ago, mahler3 said:

If you look closely, on the bookshelf behind him there are miniature Cantina Band figures. Doug Adams pointed this out after the Summon the Heroes video was posted online

ahem

Spoiler
On 5/5/2020 at 5:35 PM, Holko said:

Awesome!

image.png

Awww, Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes right on his shelf, what a nerd!

Assistant: John, end the message with that Star Wars line, you know 'May the Force be with you'.

JW: What? I'm not ending it with that cheesy-

Assistant: Also, don't forget to remind them who you are.

JW: -_-  WTF, they know who I-

Assistant: 3, 2, I...

JW: Hello, this is... I'm John Williams...

*internal agony*

10 hours ago, MikeH said:

[...] practices piano for several hours and enjoys a vodka tonic.

Oh, the latter gives me a fabulous idea: I love Vodka, but my

significant other is more into Tonic. So instead of mixing

myself another White Russian we could share

the same (summer) drink - and I could

think of the Maestro as well; and

we would toast to each

other's health, in-

cluding him.

;)

I would love him to record 60 minutes of his favorite piano pieces. I really think that there would be a market for it. I love some of the old videos of him playing with the Boston Pops.

And I am so happy he is doing well and sending his warmth into the world.

We had our graduation for the Cinema School on Friday too, and we got Ron Howard to drop in plus a number of other celebs, so it's great for the kids to have some sort of surprises like this. At least there is some extra bits for them. 

4 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I would love him to record 60 minutes of his favorite piano pieces. I really think that there would be a market for it. I love some of the old videos of him playing with the Boston Pops.

That would be something amazing! Johnny playing his own music on the piano. One can dream :lol:

There are too few videos of him playing the piano!

I'm still searching for this full performance video of John playing the harpsichord with the Pops: