Which John Williams Expanded Releases did you skip buying?

King Mark

OOPS wrong forum (JAY please change it to the JWforum)

For me:

Lost in Space Box Set

Land of the Giants Box Set 

Jaws 2 (because it's  always out of stock at SAE when I want to add it in the cart)

Home Alone 2 LLL release (won't get this since no sound improvement)

The River (waiting to combine it with something else) .SAE  won't let me add it to my existing Disaster Box/Far and Away unshipped order

Home Alone 25th Anniversary. ( Just bought!)

Saving Private Ryan Expanded (Just bought!)

Schindler's List 2 c.d.(Just bought!)

Some random 60's/early 70's comedy/TV scores:

Bachelor Flat

Diamond Head

The Eleventh Hour

Ghostbreaker

John Goldfarb

Goodbye Mr Chips 3.c.d.

A Guide to the Married Man

How to Steal a Million

The Long Goodbye (varese)

Not with My wife You Don't Vol 1 and 2

Penelope expanded

Tom Sawyer 2.c.d.

Actually I just bought Schindler's List, SPR and Home Alone 1 because of the LLL 30% sale.  22$ discount total so it's like getting one free .Making this thread reminded me to check if they were  all in stock so  I could get all 3 with a discount.Yes!

If my Far and Away set wasn't stuck at SAE with the back ordered Disaster Box I would have gotten that too

Lost in Space anniversary set

Lost in Space box set

Land of the Giants box set

I have individual disc releases from those, and don’t care enough for them to spend more.  Any other release I don’t have is because I missed out on it in the earlier days of the specialty labels.

Lost in Space (the 2015 version, but I do have the 2005 2 CD)

The Poseidon Adventure (the 2010 version, but I do have the FSM and the LLL Disaster box)

Home Alone 2 (the LLL, but I do have the VCL)

I do have two copies of John Goldfarb, Please Come Home though...

Guys Diamond Head is a drama, not a comedy...

Richard "King" Howland is a swaggering bigoted land baron living on the Big Island of Hawaii. He objects when his sister, Sloan Howland, announces she plans to marry Paul Kahana, a native Hawaiian, even though Richard is having a torrid affair with an Asian woman, Mai Chen. During Sloan and Paul's engagement party, Mai Chen's brother attacks Richard with a knife. Paul tries to break up the fight and is killed. Bitter at her brother for Paul's death, Sloan runs off to Honolulu where she is taken in by Paul's brother, Dean, and his family.”

There’s more plot description too in the Wikipedia summary section, but that gets more spoilery and I think most of you can already tell this film’s not a barrel of laughs. ;) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Head_(film)

It was the first Williams soundtrack album for a film, I’m pretty sure, but definitely a dramatic effort.

Yavar

The only one  I don't have is the Lost on Space boxset, and only because it sold out suddenly without enough warning. 

I skipped every release from any pre-Jaws score that there ever was. From there on, it's just The River, Monsignor (whcih I am both willing to buy), Heartbeeps and SpaceCamp.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Every single one.

(you all knew I would say this).

Well, you've got the DCC Raiders, the expanded Fiddler, the SW anthology, the complete Midway, the complete Family Plot... the list goes on and on! ;)

I don't have any of the TV sets (Jane Eyre, Land of the Giants, Lost in Space, Amazing Stories).

I only have 1 score from the 1960s and that's None But the Brave.  I really don't care for any of the comedy scores from the 1960s based on the samples I've heard.  

Also don't have Heartbeeps, I've been thinking about picking it up on eBay or Discogs but I have a feeling if I do it will be re-released in the near future LOL  Was the VS release complete or is there missing music?

Jurassic Park/Lost World, Close Encounters, Jaws, Jaws 2, AI, 1941, Rosewood, Minority Report, Monsignor, The River, Dracula, The Cowboys, Disaster Movie set... I'm not making a good impression, am I? Never thought I could make this list so long!

47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm not making a good impression, am I?

that's pretty bad, and you had your last shot at Close Encounters today

I had all those 60s JW scores and I never relistened to them. It became a collection of dust collectors. That's when I stopped being a completist.

Now, I don't even use CDs and the labels typically don't release the scores digitally.

All except AI, Dracula, and as of yesterday, Close Encounters.

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Think of all the money you have saved :D

Think of all the money you can save by switching to Listening ExperienceTM!

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I had all those 60s JW scores and I never relistened to them. It became a collection of dust collectors. That's when I stopped being a completist.

Now, I don't even use CDs and the labels typically don't release the scores digitally.

It's as if he couldn't write proper music back then!

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I mean why did you start with those.?

Rosewood, The Cowboys, The River, Dracula. Haven't had the impulse to watch those films and the music I heard from suites etc. doesn't appeal to me much. I kind of have to hear it in context before rushing to buy some quaint 70's drama score over other more modern scores that are more engaging. That said, in 10-15 years I'll probably watch those films and cry that I didn't buy the sets when they came out!

Some of the 60s stuff I never made an effort to get: I only have None of the Brave, and Heidi, and I'll admit that they haven't made much of an impression on me. (But I'd gladly take a look at The Rare Breed [based on the great suite recorded by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra], Valley of the Dolls and The Reivers if they ever become available).

Post 1970 I missed The Missouri Breaks and Tom Sawyer. My Disaster Collection is still stuck at SAE, and once things get moving again I'll get Far & Away and The River.

I'll admit I also skipped some recent re-re-re-issues (I lost count!) of Home Alone or Superman... Enough is enough.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

that's pretty bad, and you had your last shot at Close Encounters today

I don't know the movies or scores to half of that list and was never going to play the ones I did know anyway.

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I skipped every release from any pre-Jaws score that there ever was.

I kind of did the same when I started collecting Goldsmith. I only bought stuff from the time of The Wind and the Lion and onwards, but then I heard The Blue Max and that idea went out the window...

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Jurassic Park/Lost World, Close Encounters, Jaws, Jaws 2, AI, 1941, Rosewood, Minority Report, Monsignor, The River, Dracula, The Cowboys, Disaster Movie set... I'm not making a good impression, am I? Never thought I could make this list so long!

You do like John Williams, right?

Of course! That's why I have CDs of the BBC 2017 prom, A Life in Music, the Spielberg box set, the Dudamel album, Superman (re-recording)  and bought the expansions for Home Alone 1 and 2, ET, Saving Private Ryan (…), far and away, Superman and HARRY POTTER 1-3.

Woah KM, I'm more a completist than you...

The only expanded film score I don't have is heartbeeps, but it was already sold out when I started collecting (well and Poseidon adventure and towering inferno from fsm). I hope heartbeeps is rereleased some day

I I don't have most of the TV series works from the fsm era, I have the films and TV films. And I didn't get goodbye Mr chips because it was a bricusse work mostly, and being 3cd it was expensive at the time for me. 

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Of course! That's why I have CDs of the BBC 2017 prom, A Life in Music, the Spielberg box set, the Dudamel album, Superman (re-recording)  and bought the expansions for Home Alone 1 and 2, ET, Saving Private Ryan (…), far and away, Superman and HARRY POTTER 1-3.

Wow, you skipped essential expansions of such interestingly different, dark and reflective scores like The Lost World, Close Encounters, Artificial Intelligence, Rosewood, Minority Report and Dracula, but you bought these inessential expansions of typical Williams fluff such as Home Alone, Saving Private Ryan and Superman?!

It's time for you to look behind "that Williams sound"!

Anything pre-1975 - still pondering over The Cowboys and its high Varese price. Not that I have some principle or anything against those scores I think, but I've just never looked into them, or if yes, didn't much like them like the disaster box.

Family Plot, Missoury Breaks, Midway is a gaping hole I don't know anything about, and they were done before I really got into all this.

The Fury doesn't click with me and Jaws 2, after watching the movie and hearing the intrada samples, doesn't seem that much worth looking into more for me.

1941 - missed out on it, I like disc 1.

Heartbeeps - lol

Stanley and Iris - again don't even know anything about it.

Rosewood - tried, didn't click with me. In small bits like the LLL samples it seems interesting but in whole, even only as the OST, for some reason it fails to keep my attention.

SPR - nope, not for me.

A.I. - alright, don't kill me, I watched the movie and listened to the ost and everything and it didn't click until after the last copy sold and I listened to the entire thing in the right mood, It's a masterpiece, the booklet being not very interesting and having weird mistakes and disc 3 mostly not being very interesting to me is what I keep telling myself so I don't slit my wrists over only having a flac rip but not the real thing. IF it really is just a license time ran out thing and LLL can negotiate to press and sell the rest of the copies I'll be very glad to get it.

Also naturally the SWs and Indys, I'm not financially supporting that aimless fucking around with half-expansions instead of doing it right, or straight up botching it to unlistenable shit like Jedi. Oh, Hook too, same reason, also it was sold out before I've ever heard anything from it. I'll very happily buy editions of all these done by people who actually give a fuck and know what they're doing and allowed to to what they know they're doing with all good elements (MM in short). Oh also everything that I have is from the latest wave, the "finally actually done right" editions. Maybe Schindler is one I wouldn't count in that category if phrased like that.

Looking through the list and future possible expansions, what remains, I'll probably skip many of them but will give all of them a fair chance or 5 like with The River.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

It was the first Williams soundtrack album for a film

I have it on original LP record and don't even know

where I actually got this from. Some LPs like

Missouri Breaks I even bought at local

record collector markets. Hm...

15 hours ago, Martinland said:

I have it on original LP record and don't even know

where I actually got this from. Some LPs like

Missouri Breaks I even bought at local

record collector markets. Hm...

You're a poet, Martin! :)

On 5/16/2020 at 12:35 PM, Brundlefly said:

I skipped every release from any pre-Jaws score that there ever was. From there on, it's just The River, Monsignor (whcih I am both willing to buy), Heartbeeps and SpaceCamp.

Wow, man — you skipped my FAVORITE Williams score of all time, JANE EYRE. You MUST check it out...it’s incredible:

On 5/17/2020 at 5:16 AM, Holko said:

Anything pre-1975 - still pondering over The Cowboys and its high Varese price.

Huh? Of course all Varese single CD Club titles have $5 markup at other retailers because they don’t offer wholesale prices to them, but when buying directly from Varese it’s the usual $19.98...

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/cowboys-the-the-deluxe-edition

It’s a wonderful score and the prior release didn’t remotely do it justice...I say get it as soon as you can! :)

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

but when buying directly from Varese it’s the usual $19.98...

Plus 14.25 shipping with which it's back to the same price range as if I ordered from MusicBox with no overseas shipping and having to trust out local customs office - and also the latter could have a much greater variety of things I'd want from more labels to pair it with to save on shipping. I think really I'm just putting it off until it's selling out and I'll feel semi-forced to buy it. I do like it but it's no great must-have instant love favourite. It's on my phone, listened to it just last night. Prior releases are of zero relevance to me the vast majority of the time.