Your headscratcher score purchases

I've occasionally bought something (usually due to other people's enthusiastic comments or out of fear of a sell out) and on listening wondered what I had been smoking.

For example, Henry Mancini's Condorman.

Am I the only one?

Air Force One (expanded). I don’t get why everyone was so eager to have this one expanded and I’d happily return it for a refund if I could. 

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Ghostbusters .The hype was so high

Yeah, I get it. It's a score that I love but the presentation on either score album does it no favours. I think a 30 minute whittle with some micro editing would work wonders.

I feel the same about Elmer's The Black Cauldron. The Varese 30 minute re-recording is sublime, the complete score I find a chore to listen to.

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yeah, I get it. It's a score that I love but the presentation on either score album does it no favours. I think a 30 minute whittle with some micro editing would work wonders.

I feel the same about Elmer's The Black Cauldron. The Varese 30 minute re-recording is sublime, the complete score I find a chore to listen to.

You're gonna be Holko's best friend.

Looking through my collection here are some of the titles that I didn't like one bit or completely forgot about:

The Abyss

The Black Cauldron

Dark Shadows

Darkest Hour

Deep Impact

eXistenZ

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Fantastic 4 (2015)

Frozen Planet

Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Hoosiers

Iron Man 2

Iron Will

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Kung Fu Panda 2

The Last Boy Scout

The Magnificent Seven (Horner)

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Midway

Powder

The River Wild (both really)

Scrooged

Searching for Bobby Fischer

Shaft

Small Soldiers

Southpaw

SpaceCamp

The Vanishing

X-Men: Days of Future Past

And pretty much anything by Trevor Jones.

There are some expanded album that didn't work for me at all and scores I only like some bits of...but that's another story.

Karol

41 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Looking through my collection here are some of the titles that I didn't like one bit or completely forgot about:

gizmo-gif-9.gif

I bought The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire only because I loved its fantastically colorful artwork, and forgot it was in my cart when I made my next LLL purchase. 

Honestly, I feel this way about all 3 Back to the Futures. None of them have ever interested me much, even in the films which I love.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Abyss

The Black Cauldron

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Small Soldiers

SpaceCamp

X-Men: Days of Future Past

I'm right there with you on all of these. That said, this score:

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Kung Fu Panda 2

is an RCP masterpiece!

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

gizmo-gif-9.gif

Been meaning to give it another listen for the past 5 years! And I know you and me talked about this several times. 😆

48 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Honestly, I feel this way about all 3 Back to the Futures. None of them have ever interested me much, even in the films which I love.

Yes, quite a few Alan Silvestri scores can go on my list actually. His OST album tend to be too short and unsatisfactory but the expanded albums tend to drag and be too repetitive. Volcano is a perfect example. I like his music a lot of the time, especially in the film context, but there seems to be little variation to his material. There are exceptions.

Karol

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Abyss

The Black Cauldron

Hoosiers

Iron Will

Midway

Powder

SpaceCamp

These are all titles I'm glad I have.

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well if I had to pick only 3 Silvestri's to own, these would be them. Different strokes.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

But have you listened to them? ;)

At least once each (except for Midway, but I know it well from the film, having taped it off TV in the '80s).

On 5/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, Bayesian said:

Air Force One (expanded). I don’t get why everyone was so eager to have this one expanded and I’d happily return it for a refund if I could. 

I was one of them, but meanwhile I'm also wondering about that.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:24 AM, publicist said:

Runaway and Not Without My Daughter.

Is that the only Goldsmith scores of that kind you have? I mean, there's a lot more, especially from 1986-1995!

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is that the only Goldsmith scores of that kind you have? I mean, there's a lot more, especially from 1986-1995!

All the others have at least one track I enjoy (except for Angie but I never had it).

Concerning Black Cauldron, I much prefer the program of Varese's re-recording than Intrada's complete score release. If you've only heard the Intrada edition and it didn't click, the other album might be worth a listen

17 minutes ago, Romão said:

Concerning Black Cauldron, I much prefer the program of Varese's re-recording than Intrada's complete score release. If you've only heard the Intrada edition and it didn't click, the other album might be worth a listen

The short album is better indeed.

Karol

The Varese re-recording of The Black Cauldron wipes the floor with the film tracks. It's such a fantastic album.

16 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Man of Steel. No idea why I spent money on this when it came out. I think I purchased it before the film?

I got a fair bit of mileage out of it at the time. I enjoyed Zimmer's effort and rate the movie more highly than most.

Yeah, I like "Flight" and "What Are You Going to Do When You're Not Saving The World?" (the End Credits cue). The heroic material of MoS is fine, my problem lies with the drum-infused action music.

The only thing I remotely like out of it is his theme for Clark. The little Piano melody, but while it's nice it's hardly anything special. I listened to it a few times when it came out and recall being...disappointed. Don't get me wrong. Zimmer does some cool stuff on this score from an experimental / sound design standpoint, but it's nothing distinctly Superman. This score could've come from any old Zimmer scored Blockbuster. And while the idea of getting a bunch of Drummer's together in a room is cool...why this movie? And why does it also not even sound like 9 drummers? 

I should stop. I could go on and on. Point is...these days... I just don't listen to it at all. It bores me, yet there it sits in my library. Hence my choice for headscratcher. 

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There was a theme?

There was...barely used.

But yeah, there's about half an hour of really pleasant material on this album. And I enjoy his slightly different take on Americana. It works.

Karol

15 hours ago, TSMefford said:

...it's nothing distinctly Superman. This score could've come from any old Zimmer scored Blockbuster.

This is exactly the problem Hans.

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

It really is. The more recent Hans score I can really think of that had any sort of distinctive element was Interstellar and even that was a bit of a let down.

He has cool ideas, but they don't seem to fully mesh with the films he's working on in my opinion. Like the drums thing from Man of Steel. That idea would've been far cooler and more story relevant in a film like Whiplash or something. I just don't see why you would gather a bunch of drummers...for Man of Steel specifically. I believe the thought process was that drumming sounds...American? Idk, I just don't fully buy that.

5 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I just don't see why you would gather a bunch of drummers...for Man of Steel specifically.

Steel drums?

13 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's a butscratcher score.