John Williams: Back Again to a Galaxy (May 2015 article)

BrotherSound

An enjoyable May 2015 article about scoring The Force Awakens from the International Musician, John Williams: Back Again To A Galaxy
https://internationalmusician.org/john-williams/

This hasn’t been previously shared here, as far as I can tell.

The article was written published shortly before the first session on June 1st. Looks like Williams thought he’d be finished with this project much sooner than ended up being the case:

Williams says sessions will continue through August, possibly into September.

Recording actually ended up continuing well into November!

A nice tidbit about Williams running through the Star Wars main title at the first trailer session:

Trumpet player Jon Lewis is a member of the freelance orchestra, and he says the experience is off to an incredible start with the recording of the two trailers. “The first trailer was the first time any of this music was recorded in LA,” says Lewis. “We had the pleasure of running the original Star Wars main titles for a ‘warm-up,’ as John called it. What a thrill that was, and it was such an amazing sound to hear coming out of the Sony scoring stage that day—as near perfection as I’ve ever heard.”

Had we actually confirmed that JW scored those first two trailers (or teasers, if you insist) before, or was it just speculation?

I'm 99.9% certain this was already posted here, way back in 2015. But regardless, I'm glad you brought it up again! It's a great piece and lovely photo. Brings back lots of memories from the anticipation of TFA (which was when I first joined this forum!). 

@BrotherSound, we were already 100% certain all the music in the first trailer is JW. Teaser two has been much trickier to pin down. Based on a Facebook post in late 2015 by somebody in the music business that has since been deleted, we learned that JW's cue for the second trailer was apparently rejected, and a music house was brought in to re-score the trailer. However, I personally believe the final music we hear in the second teaser was still heavily based off of JW's cue. (Indeed, many JWFanners thought it was definitely JW when they heard the second teaser!) I suspect this TV spot bit is scored with part of JW's rejected cue:

However, that's never been confirmed. 

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

This hasn’t been previously shared here, as far as I can tell.

10 hours ago, Will said:

I'm 99.9% certain this was already posted here, way back in 2015. 

Of course it was

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=7765

But it's worth discussing again!

Funny that even after the TFA situation, John (or at least his brother) still thought they would finish TROS by September last year. :lol: