In the end, was the Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection a good buy for you?

Josh500

In the end, was the Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection a good buy for you?   

49 members have voted

1. 1. In the end, was the Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection a good buy for you?

• Yes! I listen to it often. Worth every penny.
    • Yes, kinda. But admittedly, these are not among my favourite JW scores. The set is mostly for the collection.
    • Not really, because I hardly ever listen to it. Starting to wonder why I bought it.
    • No, and I regret buying it. Does LLL have a money return policy?
    • I didn't buy it (yet).

Well? 

Believe it or not, I'm still wondering whether to get the set myself, considering I already have all 3 OST albums...

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. 

Technically I bought it but it's still stuck overseas, along with Minority Report.

You should get it. If memory serves you spent a ton on The Poseidon Adventure though, so I understand your hesitance.

I don't listen to it often, but when I do, I like what I hear. Originally, I questioned why I bought it and started to think that it was more an impulse buy than a thought-out question of need versus want. In the end I reasoned that it was three Williams scores in one set that I hadn't owned before and the themes were all really powerful.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Technically I bought it but it's still stuck overseas, along with Minority Report.

Still? Oh man, that sucks. :eh:

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

You should get it. If memory serves you spent a ton on The Poseidon Adventure though, so I understand your hesitance.

Yes, that's right, and I hardly ever listen to that! What with the HP boxset, the JP boxset, the new Star Wars, the expanded Minority Report, etc. I don't find the time to listen to the Disaster scores... 

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

In the end I reasoned that it was three Williams scores in one set that I hadn't owned before and the themes were all really powerful.

That's true. 

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yes, that's right, and I hardly ever listen to that! What with the HP boxset, the JP boxset, the new Star Wars, the expanded Minority Report, etc. I don't find the time to listen to the Disaster scores... 

Well if it helps I have all Williams' scores (multiple versions) and never listen to them. But at least if you have it, you have it. Don't think it will ever be released again.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well if it helps I have all Williams' scores (multiple versions) and never listen to them. But at least if you have it, you have it. Don't think it will ever be released again.

You never listen to any of JW's scores?

To clarify, I hardly ever listen to anything. I just buy the stuff because it's limited and it will likely never be released again.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A bunch of questions just popped up... Do you plan to sell them? Do you read the liner notes? Do you look at the spectrograms?

At this stage I do not have plans to sell them, but things can change.

I very seldom read liner notes unless there is something specific I want to know.

I wouldn't know what to do with spectrograms TBH :)

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

At this stage I do not have plans to sell them, but things can change.

I very seldom read liner notes unless there is something specific I want to know.

I wouldn't know what to do with spectrograms TBH :)

So... I don't mean to sound rude, but do you even like JW's music?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

To clarify, I hardly ever listen to anything. I just buy the stuff because it's limited and it will likely never be released again.

This sounds a little odd, gotta be honest... 

It's like collecting books without ever reading them. Or collecting cars without having a driver's licence. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The yet is in parentheses and therefore optional.

Exactly!

____

I'm actually surprised at seeing how many actually didn't get this. At least so far. I thought I'm in the minority. Turns out I'm in the majority... 

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

How many people bought this simply because it's a JW score and a Matessino production (and not for any actual musical reason), and we were all excited for BF? I'm guessing a lot.

I always buy it for the music, of course. John Williams because I know JW's music has always quality and longevity, and which I personally like very much, and Matessino because he always knows how to best present it. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I may get it when there's a 50% discount because they printed too many.

Yeah, 100 bucks total (including shipping) is just a bit steep, even for my taste. Especially for an album which I'm pretty sure I'll hardly ever listen to... 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, 100 bucks total (including shipping) is just a bit steep, even for my taste. Especially for an album which I'm pretty sure I'll hardly ever listen to... 

Well, you paid that for much less... ;)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, you paid that for much less... ;)

Yes, and that's why I know better now. Even back then I had doubts, but I gave in. I don't exactly regret it, but I'm wondering even more today, what for...? 

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yes, and that's why I know better now. Even back then I had doubts, but I gave in. I don't exactly regret it, but I'm wondering even more today, what for...? 

Put it up for sale on eBay and see if there's someone who's not aware of the new edition yet. :)

I haven't bought it, yet (well, it's either that, or food, and you can't eat CDs, can you?), but the chance of getting hold of a remixed, remastered THE TOWERING INFERNO, and the complete score for EARTHQUAKE, is a chance worth taking. To own an undamaged Waking Up, is a personal soundtrack holy grail.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So... I don't mean to sound rude, but do you even like JW's music?

I absolutely do. It's just that the last few years I've not really had much time/energy to listen to music, or read books, or watch films. But being a collector I still buy a lot of stuff, knowing that when it's sold out it most likely will never be available again.

46 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I absolutely do. It's just that the last few years I've not really had much time/energy to listen to music, or read books, or watch films. But being a collector I still buy a lot of stuff, knowing that when it's sold out it most likely will never be available again.

I can certainly relate to having less time for such things, but I listen to music while writing on JWFan, or while doing chores like washing the floor or doing laundry.

Since I don't know the movies, I don't know the scores. Since I am not planning to watch any of the movies soon, this set will be out of print before I can even consider buying it. And I'm okay with that because the subject matter doesn't look like music I'd play a lot anyway.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Since I don't know the movies, I don't know the scores. Since I am not planning to watch any of the movies soon, this set will be out of print before I can even consider buying it. And I'm okay with that because the subject matter doesn't look like music I'd play a lot anyway.

You'll find excerpts from the scores on YouTube.

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If you get the McNeely disaster compilation you're all set, as it features a generous suite covering the highlights of Inferno, and also has the themes from Poseidon and Earthquake.

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/the-towering-inferno-and-other-disaster-classics/76314766

The CPPO disaster comp is also pretty good. It has a gorgeous rendition of David Shire's The Hindenburg with vocalese instead of trumpet.

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/the-disasters-movie-music-album/136065334

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can certainly relate to having less time for such things, but I listen to music while writing on JWFan, or while doing chores like washing the floor or doing laundry.

I struggle to listen to music while doing other things, also the fact that all my audio equipment is packed up doesn't help.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Missing an option: "Didn't buy it"/"Have no intention of buying it". Without the 'yet' part.

I keep lecturing the JWFan members that polls must be exhaustive.:angry:

13 hours ago, King Mark said:

This set is mostly worth it for Towering Inferno sound upgrade and Earthquake complete score

And the Poseidon Adventure? I happen to think that out of the 3, this one has the best main theme... 

15 hours ago, Romão said:

I buy all JW's expanded releases and I don't expect instant gratification from all of them. But I know that sooner or later, when I listen to them down the line, I'll always get something out them of them that made the purchase completely worthwhile. That said, the expanded Dracula and The Lost World were instant hits with me. The Disaster Box might take longer, but I know it will be worth it

Good answer! 

This makes me wanna get it after all... 

21 hours ago, Romão said:

I buy all JW's expanded releases and I don't expect instant gratification from all of them. But I know that sooner or later, when I listen to them down the line, I'll always get something out them of them that made the purchase completely worthwhile.

Well said!!

Just now, King Mark said:

yeah, Poseidon Adventure has the best main theme .Does it really sound better than previous releases?

Towering Inferno has the best theme hands down.