James Horner's Romeo and Juliet (2013)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

For a while I thought that was a scene from the film, but after eight minutes I realised it's a still picture.

That's probably an actual scene from Star Trek: The Motion Picture....or Motionless even.

Karol

Ehh I disagree with Horner. His score gives the film a great deal of replay value for me.

And the Intrada sucks because it omits one of the best pieces from the OST. I'll stick with the old album.

1 minute ago, Þekþiþm said:

And the Intrada sucks because it omits one of the best pieces from the OST. I'll stick with the old album.

Yes! And one other non-descript synth cue on no interest. And there are weird things in the mix. I think you can hear Horner talking at some point. It's such a strange release. I'm still happy to have it for what it is but it's far from essential.

Karol

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Compare this to Yared's theme for Achilles.

Horner's theme is more adventurous and swashbuckling. Yared's more epic and grandiose. Two different approaches, both valid, but I guess I prefer Horner's. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Horner's theme is more adventurous and swashbuckling. Yared's more epic and grandiose. Two different approaches, both valid, but I guess I prefer Horner's. 

I wouldn't call Horner's score adventurous or swashbuckling. But there is a real militant quality to it that clearly understood the drier, "contemporary" Hollywood nature of the film. Yared's score boasts the better music on its own, but is clearly suited for a different kind of movie.

So this Romeo and Juliet movie was on the telly today and I saw a bit of it when it looks like they were in a church and it looked horrible. It had that blue screen set look with a fake CGI environment. I can accept that in a sci-fi TV show or something, but this was so poorly done, I found it distracting and flicked it off. I reckon Horner dodged a bullet from having his score junked.

The clip looked blah. I'm always perplexed where filmmakers get the stamina to re-do an old warhorse like this again without having one original idea or POV that makes it worth the effort. 

Shame that part of it is just one of the variations of main theme from Glory that in itself is lifted from Ivan the Terrible:

By the way, can someone please expand this one? Pretty please.

Karol

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Filmmusicfan said:

Hi just wondering is there any way of getting this in lossless (Romeo & Juliet by James Horner)? Many thanks :)

Unfortunately, his has only leaked in mp3. Also, we aren't allowed to ask for download links to bootlegs on this forum. YouTube is ok though.

17 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Unfortunately, his has only leaked in mp3. Also, we aren't allowed to ask for download links to bootlegs on this forum. YouTube is ok though.

Thanks for that info, glad to finally listen to it after all these years waiting but hope a label releases it officially someday soon in better quality and with what I’d image are alternates and missing pieces like in all Horner’s scores.

does anyone also know of any good sites that took over from fantasy shrine, that have links besides the one soundtrack download out there? 

It's not in better quality anywhere. The low quality version was in the possession of a team who was working to get it officially released but someone broke their secrecy promise and shared the link. This jeopardized the chances of an official release. Stop asking about it.

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's not in better quality anywhere. The low quality version was in the possession of a team who was working to get it officially released but someone broke their secrecy promise and shared the link. This jeopardized the chances of an official release. Stop asking about it.

Oh, did it now? Should have released it in 2013 then, shouldn't they? Oh no wait, that's too logical.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 1:23 AM, Drew said:

What’s your source for this supposed information aye? And in regards to your demand to stop asking at the end, sorry I didn’t know some team was trying to release it, so there’s no need to be so blunt with the demand. We have a right to ask and seek information buddy.

Still hopeful a label will release it commercially someday in better quality and perhaps in full as I’m sure there’s more than what we got here.

• 2 years later...

Like this post if you're willing to BUY Horner's Romeo and Juliet on the day it comes out! The powers that be need to know that we're willing to buy it! Please release it!

The labels have looked into releasing it.  The rights-holder (whoever runs what's left of Swarovski Entertainment now that its bankrupt) wants more money than is reasonable to grant a license for it.  So something would have to change there to make it possible.  No sense bothering the specialty labels, they know the demand is there

What other films/scores does Swarovski control, I wonder? It may be that the typical amount paid to license a film score for commercial album release just isn't enough money to be worth their time as a company. BUT, if we can find enough other worthy scores that they control (maybe a half dozen at least?) which could be licensed as a group by one of the specialty labels like Intrada/LLL/Quartet, maybe that collective $$$ could make it worth their while?

So does anyone else know other worthy scores, however obscure, which might be used for this purpose of getting Horner's R&J out as the crown jewel of Swarovski's music holdings?

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What other films/scores does Swarovski control, I wonder?

They only had their hands in 2 feature films and 1 short

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?companies=co0280492

Black Swan and Romeo and Juliet had OST albums granted to Sony Classical, so that only leaves the rejected score from R&J and Rahman's score to the short.

Well, that well explains why it's unlikely then. What are the two films? Could those scores possibly be deserving of an expansion? If there's any unreleased music that Abel Korzeniowski recorded for his score for example, I would certainly be interested as it's my favorite of his works.

So maybe a company like Quartet/LLL/Intrada could make a deal to premiere Horner's score, and expand Korzeniowski's score and the two other film scores? That's only four scores to license, but it might still get closer to the $$$ number that that "some guy" might care about...

EDIT: Oh, now I see by following your link that it's only Black Swan + the 16 minute short, besides R&J. So very unlikely then.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

The lesson here is to ALWAYS release a rejected score at the same time as the OST!

What makes you think the company would have allowed the rejected score to be released at the same time as the Korzeniowski score actually in the film? Soundtrack releases at the time of the film are basically a part of the promotional material, and it doesn't exactly make the company or filmmakers look good releasing a rejected score for their film at the same time as the score they went with.

I think the only example I can think of with that sort of happening is when Varese put out Goldsmith's unused score for Timeline, but that was an unusual case (it wasn't actively rejected, but the film was substantially recut and Goldsmith wasn't available to redo his music for either scheduling or health reasons). And I still think Varese released the Goldsmith score a little while after they released the Brian Tyler score. (Or am I misremembering?)

Yavar

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

Call it "Music Inspired By" and make double the money. Boom.

That's the way you or I would think, yes, but some company exec would be worried about making the film director/producers look bad at the time for rejecting a lovely score by James "Titanic" Horner. There's a lot of politics (I'm talking internal politics, not national politics) at play in Hollywood (and of course, the corporate world at large including Swarovski). Many years later is when most rejected scores have been released, if they ever get released at all. And that's because enough time has passed that the politics of the thing is a minor issue at best. That's why Intrada was able to license and release Alex North's 2001: A Space Odyssey (I would point out they did so many years after it was premiered on album in a new Varese Sarabande recording conducted by Jerry Goldsmith, which no doubt was less problematic to get approved since they mainly just had to deal with the music publisher.)

Yavar