What movies have you double dipped going from Blu-ray to 4K UHD?

rough cut

The release of Jaws 4K is imminent. On the horizon we have 4K box sets coming for both Indiana Jones and Lord Of The Rings.

I can image a ton of fans double dipping on these releases, just as they might have done with Star Wars 4K that was released recently.

Which movies have you gone for twice, so far?

This is my confession. What’s yours?

1901DDC5-E9FA-4E64-ABC2-62F2912F2B3F.jpeg

Alien, all of Spielberg's, all of Nolan's, Batman, Batman Returns, all of the animated Disney and Pixar, Star Wars, Potter, Mission Impossible films, BladeRunner, The Matrix, Die Hard, The Shining, Ghostbusters, Wizard of Oz, and the Daniel Craig bond films. 

I sold pretty much all my standard Blu-rays. Kept only those that contain some unique content or the ones I will never be replacing because there's no point (Marvel stuff etc).

Karol

40 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I’ve been meaning to get this one as well.

What’s your take on “the transfer is too dark” reviews?

It looks fine. It's Batman Returns that has some issues like audio sync and muted colours, especially given how vivid the old blu-ray looked.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

The release of Jaws 4K is imminent. On the horizon we have 4K box sets coming for both Indiana Jones and Lord Of The Rings.

I can image a ton of fans double dipping on these releases, just as they might have done with Star Wars 4K that was released recently.

Hey, you're Swedish?

32 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

It looks fine. It's Batman Returns that has some issues like audio sync and muted colours, especially given how vivid the old blu-ray looked.

Yeah, I’ve never had a problem with any of the 4Ks that I’ve picked up. In any instance, the picture quality has been an improvement (from either my old Blus or - duh! - my old DVDs).

I get the feeling it’s a lot of negative talk from Blu-ray die hard fans who just don’t want to let go of their old format (or their money, spending it twice on the ‘same’ movie). Change is hard.

16 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Yeah, I’ve never had a problem with any of the 4Ks that I’ve picked up. In any instance, the picture quality has been an improvement (from either my old Blus or - duh! - my old DVDs).

I get the feeling it’s a lot of negative talk from Blu-ray die hard fans who just don’t want to let go of their old format (or their money, spending it twice on the ‘same’ movie). Change is hard.

The only one I'm pissed about is ID4. Seriously they drained that 4K master of so much colour, especially the reds, resulting in a disproportionately sepia tone.

Batman's climactic scenes have a teal tint, but it's the best that movie has ever looked. Just stunning. 

Batman Returns doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade, if at all. The previous transfer was the best one. Black crush seems to be an issue, but the movie was always dark like that. But I also agree that the colors look a bit odd. It's definitely the questionable one of the lot.

Batman Forever looks a bit too dark, but I could be wrong. Maybe I need the THX calibrator. Still, an excellent transfer, along with Batman & Robin. Most people probably don't care about these, but I'm glad to have them.

The digital versions are constantly marked down and they include the original audio mixes, whereas the discs are stuck with the new ones. This is what annoyed me. The Burton ones were redone with new sound effects, but the real issue is that the music seems to have been mixed lower. I may just be overly protective of the original soundtracks and it certainly isn't that offensive. 

Yeah, there’s always something isn’t there.

I read that the 4K version of Alien Director’s Cut (1979/2003) is missing the stars from most of the exterior space scenes.

Small detail, but... how’d they mess that up?

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I’ve been meaning to get this one as well.

What’s your take on “the transfer is too dark” reviews?

Nonsense. I think it will blow you away. 

It was the first 4K movie I watched when I got my OLED TV.

I'm still not completely sold on HDR or why it's even a thing. I mean it looks nice, but when I watch a non-HDR blu-ray like Raiders, it looks great! If you listened to these home theatre zealots, you'd think everyone's blu-ray collections all suddenly looked like shit and aren't worth hearing because they don't have friggin' height channels!

The remasters of Batman and the Schumacher movies are beneficial either way. Batman Returns was already a strong transfer but the others were merely satisfactory, better than the DVD, but not great. Batman had some weird ghosting issues and hazy look in the climactic scenes. JP and TLW especially I also consider excellent upgrades from the old Blurays, which were dated HDTV transfers.

14 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

friggin' height channels!

Yeah, I have no doubt that it is cool if it’s well done and it is that kind of movie, but I feel that already decking out your living room with a 5.1 system is an undertaking - and to be honest - quite a luxury.

Atmos, or let’s be honest, even a 7.1 speaker set up, seems... excessive. I’m even inclined to say that you don’t even really need surround sound to enjoy a good movie.

But, then again, I’m old school at heart.

56 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

7.1 channels of sound, plus up to four height channels, ie. ceiling speakers.

Oh, so that's what height channels are.

16 minutes ago, rough cut said:

you don’t even really need surround sound to enjoy a good movie.

Agreed.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

- Blade Runner

- 2001: A Space Odyssey

Same, plus Apocalypse Now, Close Encounters, The Fifth Element, and Terminator 2

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

How I wish Die Hard With A Vengeance was available on 4K

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I think all Die Hard movies, as well as the Alien franchise is due down the line, don’t you?

I'm not sure. I vaguely remember reading on the Digital Bits that Fox or Disney was only committing to releasing the first movies in each franchise on 4K

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

Yeah, I have no doubt that it is cool if it’s well done and it is that kind of movie, but I feel that already decking out your living room with a 5.1 system is an undertaking - and to be honest - quite a luxury.

Atmos, or let’s be honest, even a 7.1 speaker set up, seems... excessive. I’m even inclined to say that you don’t even really need surround sound to enjoy a good movie.

But, then again, I’m old school at heart.

I follow these home theatre groups on FB, and the sheer level of neurosis on display regarding speaker placement, AVR choices, amplification options, etc is extraordinary. And yet they mostly only have shit movies in their collections when they routinely show them off; I don't think they're really so much movie fans, as they are gearheads, guys with more money than sense, or even taste.

Although most folks might not need that level of surround sound in their homes, it is at least important to attach some kind of audio boost to your tele, because the in-built speakers are usually shitty these days.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

How many JWFans have some sort of speaker set-up?

Sound is as important as picture quality, to me. It is an audiovisual art form after all. 

You want a $25.000 sound system to watch a Woody Allen movie or else the 7th art falls apart?!

The audiophiles are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that’s left of their religion.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

You want a $25.000 sound system to watch a Woody Allen movie or else the 7th art falls apart?!

My 7.1 surround sound set-up cost a few hundred dollars. A basic 5.1 would probably cost even less. Speakers and receivers aren’t that expensive.