What movies have you double dipped going from Blu-ray to 4K UHD?

rough cut

Wow. I never even attempted to finish upgrading all my DVDs to Blu-ray. Though I am starting to rip them into MKV so I can whittle down the physical presence. I will start buying 4K only when it's the only option. 

On 5/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, Disco Stu said:

The only movie I own on DVD, blu-ray, and UHD blu-ray is ET.

I own it on VHS only. 

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

I like physical media. I like owning the CDs and movies that I love.

But seeing pictures like this makes me not want to buy any more physical media at all.. talk about accumulating a lot of CRAP!

BTW, when is Jaws 4K coming out? I have to buy that one for the third time in my life...

Years ago, I owned more Harry Potter copies than any sane person would ever have bought. Everything was given to thrift stores three years ago and now my shelf is full of things I only need one copy of.

The one I've had the most number of times is Batman.

- Taped off HBO

- VHS

- DVD

- SE DVD

- Blu-ray

- Anniversary Blu-ray

- 2 additional BD sets when I moved around

- Digital Copy

I will get War of the Worlds on blu when it comes out. I wont be purchasing War of the Worlds the SS version

There is nothing boring about either film and the 1953 version is a classic.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The novel is great.

Of course, the best version of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS was released in the summer of 1978 :)

And I remember it well.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one – but still they come!"

• 2 months later...

OK, so I went for Jaws 4K.

In the LE Blu-ray there was a little booklet that - despite all the fluff marketing texts - I really liked it. Since I wanted to upgrade without throwing it out (it’s attached in the hardcover packaging) I went for the LE of the 4K as well, since it comes with a complete copy of the same.

1397E9BF-EAE8-4879-9C42-B557201FBDB8.jpeg

None.

As opposed to my CD collection, my physical film collection never really got off the ground. I bought a few sporadical VHSes from the mid 90s to the early 2000s, then gave or sold them away (probably some 50 in total). Then I started buying the odd DVD, but some years back I had to stop that too (guess I have about 100 now; maybe less after I gave away a whole bunch to a local flea market). Blu-rays, I guess I only have 2-3! Some of it has to do with money, some with space concerns (I live in a tiny one-room apartment).

If, at some point, I get rich and own a big apartment/house, I might want to try proper film collecting again. Whether that is 4K UHD or whatever is the latest technology at that time. But I doubt it will ever happen.

I don't own a single 4K film, and my TV is only 2K.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

If, at some point, I get rich and own a big apartment/house, I might want to try proper film collecting again. Whether that is 4K UHD or whatever is the latest technology at that time. But I doubt it will ever happen.

You just need to attract a rich female!

I never bought any movies in VHS, although I guess I was the target group for the Star Wars OT re-release when it came out, I had friends who bought them.

When the DVD format was introduced I invested in a home theater system and I guess I had an ok “library”, maybe about a 100 discs.

A handful of them I updated for the BD format, but not many.

When Netflix and 4K came around I through out all my DVDs, keeping only the BDs. That’s why, for example, I don’t own Star Wars on physical media anymore.

But having lived in three eras of buying movies - DVD, BD and 4K - I have the feeling that from now on I’ll be buying less and less “new” movies. I’ll just keep buying the same old movies that I grew up with.

The Star Wars trilogy and Jurassic Park I have on both VHS and DVD. The SW trilogy is widescreen and pre-SE!

The Bridge on the River Kwai, Casablanca, and To Catch a Thief I have on both DVD and BR. Add to that several more Hitchcock films.

I see this contains the premiere home release of the uncut Psycho! I didn't even know that all the releases so far have been cut.

I have the 14 disc Hitchcock BR collection, which can be found quite cheap, but the quality of the transfers are hit and miss (not to say a mess).