John Williams at Air Lyndhurst

Montre

Does anybody know of any other scores besides the first Harry Potter where JW recorded at Air Lyndhurst? I love the ambience of that room, and I wonder what led him to score there instead of Abbey Road for the first movie. Side note, this is the only footage of him conducting Harry Potter sessions that I’ve ever seen. I hope more videos turn up in the future.

Didn't he later re-record some of the stuff done at AIR at Abbey Road later on because he wasn't quite happy with it or something? Or wasn't used to this room? Can't remember where I saw that.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Didn't he later re-record some of the stuff done at AIR at Abbey Road later on because he wasn't quite happy with it or something? Or wasn't used to this room? Can't remember where I saw that.

Karol

I think Mike Matessino mentioned that in an interview around the time of the release of the expanded edition.

I believe it was just a simple matter of Abbey Road not being available on the dates they wanted towards the beginning of the recording sessions. I think they finished the score at Abbey Road.

Shore’s Fellowship of the Ring was recording at the same time across CTS Watford, Air Lyndhurst and Abbey Road (August -November 2001). This was probably just scheduling.

As for the lack of turtleneck, 2001 was a hot summer, and we Brits don’t really do AC very well!

4 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Shore’s Fellowship of the Ring was recording at the same time across CTS Watford, Air Lyndhurst and Abbey Road (August -November 2001). This was probably just scheduling.

As for the lack of turtleneck, 2001 was a hot summer, and we Brits don’t really do AC very well!

Weren't the choral sessions of the Fellowship being held at the same time as Philosopher's Stone at Abbey Road...somewhere around 9/11? Or am I misremembering something?

Also...you remember a summer almost 20 years ago?

Karol

I vaguely recall they were recorded concurrently at Abbey Road (didn't people used to joke that Williams and Shore bumped into each other in the lunch room?)

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Also...you remember a summer almost 20 years ago?

Our love of discussing the weather is almost as great as our hatred of AC.

Actually, I can somewhat relate to that. Having lived in the UK for a decade now I can tell exactly when you have a hot summer. Due to the humidity, and the lack of AC, a temperature above 25 degrees can be quite unbearable. In this respect I prefer the continental summer with slightly dryer climate.

Anyway... Air Lyndhurst. So it looks like PS is the only time Williams recorded there, right? I actually met someone at work not long ago whose family member used to work for David Arnold. Apparently, they have nice Christmas parties over there.

Karol

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

I vaguely recall they were recorded concurrently at Abbey Road (didn't people used to joke that Williams and Shore bumped into each other in the lunch room?)

According to the liner notes of the HP box, only the Children Suite was recorded at Abbey Road, on 11/9 and 12/9, and at the same time Spy Game was being recorded next door, and LOTR was being mixed upstairs; but Shore is not mentioned. 

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Actually, I can somewhat relate to that. Having lived in the UK for a decade now I can tell exactly when you have a hot summer. Due to the humidity, and the lack of AC, a temperature above 25 degrees can be quite unbearable. In this respect I prefer the continental summer with slightly dryer climate.

25°C is the upper end of my comfort zone, non-humid. Anything above that is at least too warm. And then you get week long stretches in summer when the outside temperature only drops below 25°C at something like 3:00 AM.

I imagine the temperature can also have an effect on recording acoustics, to a degree? In the Poltergeist liner notes, Botnick raves about how a recent thunderstorm (if I recall) had given the atmosphere at the scoring stage the perfect humidity for the recording.

23 hours ago, karelm said:

Scoring stages are very particular and actually resonate on a frequency.  The dimensions and angles means certain frequencies are greater exposed and that can be jarring to a composer used to a particular sound.  Air Lyndhurst is unusual because its a hexagon unlike a concert stage.  It's the same for musicians playing in concert halls.  Disney Hall has a very precise and dry acoustic that works great for contemporary music for example but not great for intimate music.  Some would define the sound characteristics as harsh.  Other rooms are forgiving.  Some are more warm.  I would bet the attachment JW has to a particular studio is more a result of familiarity with its characteristics and how he approaches the composition thus how that translates to the finished product.  Abbey Road could be more accurate and Air Lyndhurst could be more cavernous for example.

Oh definitely.

Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and Patrick Doyle like recording at Air Lyndhurst if given a preference.

• 4 months later...

I like imagining how was the supposed encounter between Shore and Williams at Air Lyndhurst's kitchen:

"Hey John. What are you recording here?"

"Hey Howard. Oh, just a kids movie about wizards. It's based in a book for children. What about you?

"We've been recording the first Lord of the Rings movie here. It's gonna be very epic."

"So you got the Lord of the Rings gig. I heard that Jerry and James Horner were being considered."

"Yeah, Peter Jackson liked my stuff, so he hired me. Anyway, let's make a little bet? I bet you $10 that my movie will be bigger than yours at the box office"

"And I bet you $5 that my movie will get more Oscars than yours".

"Great! Oh, gotta return for the recording. Nice talking to you!"

"Bye bye, pal".

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tonight? Its 1pm here

He, he. Just jankin' your chain, as it were. Your post was on-topic, just curiously 5 months late.