Williams Non OST Concert Version Playlist and Where to Find the Tracks

King Mark

A few others that come to mind, although some are more revised than others.

"Here They Come" and "The Little People Work" from the Skywalker Symphony CD are concert arrangements .. I think. 

Parade of the Ewoks is a little different

The Memoirs of a Geisha suite. 

The Jurassic Park Theme as performed in concert isn't on the OST. - It's on a few compilations

Always Theme: Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part 1, and you have Jim's New Life listed twice. 

Sugarland Express 
Is Exsultate Justi different enough? There are some differences from the OST

Hook:
The Lost Boy Ballet and The Banquet Scene
Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part 2

Witches of Eastwick: The Ballroom and The Devil's Dance from Hooray for Hollywood

Remembrances on the Williams Collaboration Part 2 CD  and the Schindler's List suite on the Treesong CD. Is "Jewish Town" in that suite different from the OST?

Dry Your Tears, Africa is a little different from the OST - Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part 3 

Born on the 4th of July has a very different beginning - Music for Stage and Screen, and The Early Days from that suite is shorter. I imagine Cua Viet River is different but I've never sat down and compared them. Williams has performed that at least once. 

I could be wrong, but I believe every FSO YouTube Rip you've listed is also available on the FSO albums Especial John Williams, La Musica de las Galaxias, or one of their La Mejor Musica de Cine albums.  They also do "Here They Come!" and "The Flag Parade."

yeah but I have to rip them from you tube until I find the albums

i'll include some of Pete's suggestions

i remember Face of Pan Revised on You tube. Where did it come from?

I thought there was another version after the Williams on Williams

I think I'll extract and include these

23 hours ago, King Mark said:

Irina's Theme :Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra

The Accidental Tourist (Love Theme): The Best of John Williams-Richard Hayman

The Poseidon Adventure(Prelude):Disaster! album

War of the Worlds suite:Philharmonics 2

This is a great compilation of sources, @King Mark and I appreciate your taking time to assemble it for us. 

I'm hoping you could provide more details on these four albums, though. I'm trying to locate them online (amazon, discogs...) but can't identify them by this info alone. Things like label, release date, cover art... anything like that would help.

Richard Hayman is a Naxos c.d.

The Disasters! Movie music Album is 1998 Silva screen c.d.

The other 2 is stuff  I downloaded from somewhere I can't remember, but I did see Philharmonics 2 in a store once. Don't have more info

Are there 2 official versions of The Patriot Suite?  FSO is different from Lights Camera Music and transitions better in the "colonial cause" cue that seems tacked on in the Lockheart version

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

isn't the boston pops version like the OST?

It's different. Shorter with a different start and a more concertized ending,

@Bayesian, here are 3 of the 4 you asked about...

Filmharmonic II
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HNOSPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_ZiXZEbXD9XFNS

A60A4236-49C5-47BD-8297-0092FA34B2E7.jpeg

The Disasters! Movie Music Album

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000AFQH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_NIXZEbHYGNA03

AAF7F3E5-AF0D-4A15-849E-D44773E0AED4.jpeg

The Best of John Williams

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002728W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_xFXZEb77HCDBD

8846219C-7009-483F-AA98-27E7232A1FAE.jpeg

“Irina’s Theme” appears to be from a live concert recording from 2010:

http://www.jw-collection.de/compilations/slovak2.htm

The BPO and the Dudamel recordings of Motorcycle Scherzo are essentially the same concert arrangement with small differences, and they both differ pretty significantly from the OST cue.  Most importantly the BPO recording is VASTLY superior to the Dudamel in both sound and performance. 

Come on, it’s the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration, one of the best albums of all time!

Why is it every rerecording of Duel of the Fates has a choir when we need one without, but some rerecordings where we'd like the choir from the OST never have it (Jurassic Park, Close Encounters)

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Why is it every rerecording of Duel of the Fates has a choir when we need one without, but some rerecordings where we'd like the choir from the OST never have it (Jurassic Park, Close Encounters)

Listen to "Theme from Jurassic Park" from the Album "Hollywood Nightmares". 

John Mauceri / Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. 

Great Recording with Choir. 

On 5/27/2020 at 2:03 AM, King Mark said:

Duel of the Fates (Orchestral)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-williams/hollywood-symphonic-concert-john-williams-kanagawa-philharmonic-orchestra_orie-suzuki.p/

This one doesn't have choir.

Diagon Alley (alternate bombastic ending)

That would be my most wanted from there.

Really confuses me why some of that excellent stuff that exists just is NOT available.

You'd say there should be multiple versions by now; right?

yeah not even a random orchestra Youtube recording

anyways this list makes a damn good playlist. Should have grouped all these together years ago

On 5/26/2020 at 9:16 PM, King Mark said:

i remember Face of Pan Revised on You tube. Where did it come from?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

That's on Williams on Williams. What was "revised"?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:39 PM, King Mark said:

I thought there was another version after the Williams on Williams

Yeah there was

https://www.instantencore.com/music/player.aspx?ListItemId=6967932

He starts changing it around 1:45 and the flute solo at the end is extended as well.

This was the thread:

I thought so .So it was a 128kbps MP3 of live music one person coughing (loudly) multiple times. I'll add it to the list of stuff that needs to be re-recorded

yeah, I'll get to that but the point was getting that one piece not released anywhere else

I never ripped my Zubin Metha SW /Ce3k c.d.'s Time tom do this

Last Battle should be in the list

On 6/1/2020 at 10:00 PM, King Mark said:

Is there a Theme from Long Goodbye concert version  somewhere?

I have a collection of all sorts of re-recordings.

That one isn't in there.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:00 PM, King Mark said:

Is there a Theme from Long Goodbye concert version  somewhere?

Not sure but I have an MP3 of Harry Connick Jr. singing the song from an old Evening at Pops concert.

Battle of the Heroes(Orchestral): Star Wars Heptalogy

Which album is the Heptalogy?

Sayuri's Theme :Celebrating John Williams ,Dudamel

Is this the only recording available or are there others?

Going to School revised : on Sony compilation

Which compilation? 

The Poseidon Adventure(Prelude):Disaster! album

I've always assumed this to be the End Title even though it is titled Prelude on the comp. Is it an official JW concert version though? Has it ever been performed? What about the one on the McNeely comp which sounds more like the Main Title?

Yes Georgio!If We Were in Love :Boston Pops (?)

Aisle Seat

War of the Worlds suite:Philharmonics 2

Is this the same arrangement as the iTunes exclusive track on the Kunzel Great Film Fantasies comp?

Let me know what I forgot. I didn't include the Mutter album on purpose.

And the Pedroni. And the Wakao. :)

Was the Shaham Devil's Dance arranged by Williams?

The suite from War of the Worlds mentioned above is a collage of three cues unofficially transcribed by some arranger/orchestrator for some City of Prague recording released in 2005-6 (they used to do this quite a lot for their compilation albums, until they finally stopped). It circulated between orchestra librarians around Europe for some time and it has also been performed live a few times before it was asked to be removed.

The Williams-authored War of the Worlds concert suite (comprised of two movements, "I. Escape from the City" and "II. Epilogue") has never been published or recorded.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is this the same arrangement as the iTunes exclusive track on the Kunzel Great Film Fantasies comp?

No, the Kunzel recording is a transcription (likely made by one of the Cincinnati Pops staff arrangers like Tim Berens or Steven Reineke) of the "Escape from the City" cue as heard on the soundtrack album, with an added short coda (not by JW). Considering the friendship between Kunzel and JW, I guess this was done with JW approval.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

I've always assumed this to be the End Title even though it is titled Prelude on the comp. Is it an official JW concert version though? Has it ever been performed? What about the one on the McNeely comp which sounds more like the Main Title?

The Varèse Sarabande recording of The Poseidon Adventure main title as heard on The Towering Inferno and Other Disaster Classics (conducted by John Debney) was likely made from a loan of the original manuscript score stored at JAKMS, from which new parts were copied. Same goes for the selections from The Towering Inferno and Earthquake recorded for the same album. They sound faithful to the original versions (save for the occasional wrong note here and there) and no orchestration changes were made. Bob Townson has always been very careful to do these things with taste and awareness.

Keep in mind that many JW "rare" selections recorded on those Silva compilation album made in the late 90s/early 00s (including Black Sunday, Towering Inferno, The Rare Breed, Dracula etc) were indeed transcriptions made either by ear or from (often bootlegged) manuscript scores floating around. For some strange copyright law, these new transcriptions were passed as arrangements/cover version so that they could not be sued by the copyright owners.

The "Prelude" of Poseidon Adventure sort of has parts of the Main Titles and Finale/End Titles  played together

There's a few others I could include, like a Jaws 2 Suite on "The Greatest Musics of John Williams" that has the Shark theme and the end title. I still want to  include stuff like WotW even if it wasn't done by JW but I can put them in a sub-section. So which of the ones on my list are unofficial and not JW arranged? Like is Towering Inferno on Lights Camera Music with the Finale at the end JW's idea? FSO Patriot is different from Lights Camera Music...which one is the JW arranged one?

Also can anyone list all the Memoirs of a Geisha re-recordings and those that are revised?

37 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So which of the ones on my list are unofficial and not JW arranged? Like is Towering Inferno on Lights Camera Music with the Finale at the end JW's idea? FSO Patriot is different from Lights Camera Music...which one is the JW arranged one?

Also can anyone list all the Memoirs of a Geisha re-recordings and those that are revised?

They're all JW except Black Sunday, War of the Worlds and Earthquake.

The version of The Towering Inferno recorded by Lockhart (with the Finale segment tacked at the end) is at least acknowledged by JW, I think, as the album has his stamp of approval.

Both suites from The Patriot are by JW--the one by the FSO is the regular published Hal Leonard version; the one recorded by Lockhart is an arrangement JW did for a Boston Pops performance in 2000 (in an interview Lockhart said he remembered that version so he had people searching for it in the BSO library)

The Memoirs of a Geisha 5-mvt suite for cello and orchestra recording has been released on several different album (the Music from America 3-disc set), while the 3-mvt suite for cello and piano was released digitally on iTunes.

alright I'll add that too.

CE3K from Spielberg/Williams Collaboration does have the choir, but not in the final notes of the piece. It's so lovely on the Special Edition end Titles he should have use it there

12 hours ago, pete said:

Yes.

His site describes the piece as "for Gil Shaham"
http://gilshaham.com/recording/gil-shaham-jonathan-feldman-the-devils-dance/

That wasn't why I said yes. I bought the CD when it came out, but it's in Australia and I am not. I'm pretty sure the CD mentions Williams involvement. I just always "knew" it was a Williams arrangement. Anyone have the CD handy?

Man i forgot that the distortion in Spielberg /Williams collaboration part 3 is pretty bad on some tracks. Dartmoor is almost unlistenable. I thought my earphones or ipod was broken then I remembered the issue. Like a faint clicking noise in the background

Did you hear it?

At first I thought it was the MP3's I got but a flac rip of the c.d. has the same thing

here's another performance of Revised Han solo and the princess I missed. I don't find it better than the Zeigler one . I dunno, the mic placement to record these Simone Petroni performances seem a bit off

On 6/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, Pieter Boelen said:

I have a collection of all sorts of re-recordings.

That one isn't in there.

There a number of recordings of The Long Goodbye, both song and instrumental.

The Long Goodbye [3:35]

Arranged by Wade Markus

Lou Donaldson Orchestra

Recorded December 11, 1972, released 1973

The Long Goodbye [4:11]

Arranged and conducted by Lanny Meyers

Recorded 1995

The Long Goodbye [4:10]

Arranged by John Williams

Harry Connick Jr, vocals Boston Pops Orchestra John Williams, conductor

Recorded live at Symphony Hall, Boston, 2001

The Long Goodbye [3:15]

Arranged by Al Nicholls

Sandra Lawrence and The Vendettas

Recorded 2003

The Longer Goodbye (inspired by “The Long Goodbye”) [12:00]

Arranged by Al Nicholls

Sandra Lawrence and The Vendettas

Recorded 2003

The Long Goodbye [5:24]

Performed by Diane Hubka

Arranged by Christian Jacob

Recorded 2005

The Long Goodbye [3:53]

Fred Waller, piano

The Long Goodbye [2:35]

Stephen Oliva, piano

Recorded 2011

The Long Goodbye [3:13]

Carmel McCreagh

Recorded 2013

The Long Goodbye [5:04]

Peter Jones, vocal Vasilis Xenopoulos, flute, alto and tenor saxophones Neil Angilley, piano Geoff Gascoyne, double bass Davide Giovannini, drums and percussion

Recorded 2013

The Long Goodbye [4:54]

Dmitri Matheny, flugelhorn Bill Anschell piano

Arranged by Dmitri Matheny

Recorded 2016