Hans Zimmer’s Expanded Score for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2

Koray Savas

I liked it. Then again, I only revisited this score when the sessions leaked, and as a result, I feel that it plays better in complete format. Too bad there's no track list available yet

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s printed on the images of the vinyls, but it’s a little blurry. 
BF27F71E-16EF-4159-8539-6094928D0ACA.png

Here is a 5000x5000 with that tracklisting crystal clear:

MI2_DISCS_5024x5024.png

Interesting. It's only a matter of time then til this comes out on CD as well. I wonder which format will end up with the better mastering.

Such a great score, the best in the M:I film series, IMO. And the packaging/design itself is stellar, as always from Mondo. Even if I hate the expanded aspect of this, and even if I already own the CD, this is weirdly tempting.

Then you must have misunderstood. I've always recognized the Elfman score as a big turning-point in his career, sound-wise (from this score onwards, he did far more dense sound clusters and contrapuntal writing), but it's not a favourite score of mine. M:I 2 beats it by a mile in terms of sheer listening pleasure, and its gung-ho application in the film (incidentally also my favourite score for a John Woo film).

7 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

It's only a matter of time then til this comes out on CD as well.

I wouldn't be so sure - I believe there's a handful of limited edition expanded vinyl releases which have not come out on CD or even digital download.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I wouldn't be so sure - I believe there's a handful of limited edition expanded vinyl releases which have not come out on CD or even digital download.

Exactly, but it would be really bizarre if it never happened. LLL has half of the M:I film scores on disc already, so they clearly have a working relationship with Paramount and the franchise, not to even mention the TV scores. 

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well, an LP is like a big CD.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Exactly, but it would be really bizarre if it never happened. LLL has half of the M:I film scores on disc already, so they clearly have a working relationship with Paramount and the franchise, not to even mention the TV scores. 

The thing that makes II odd is that it's the only entry in the series to be released on Disney's label, Hollywood Records. Considering the score has never had an LP release prior, whatever legal issues that's prevented the score from being on digital streaming seems to be a non-issue in this case. It's pretty likely they're probably working out the kinks now, but it seems to me that this release probably exists because Disney would have more control over it.

If someone asked me to name movies that pioneered in causing the general reflex of scepticism and fear when adaptions and remakes of source material are announced, the piece of crap that was M:I 2 would be in my Top 5. 

Dont correlate the terrible quality of the movie itself with the score.

The music fits for the weird tone they wanted to make and it sounds fine at that, if you ask me.

And significantly better than its score. :)

@gkgyver, I was wondering if you could name movies that pioneered in causing the general reflex of scepticism and fear when adaptions and remakes of source material are announced.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No one asked. 

Having a good pout over there? 

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And significantly better than its score. :)

@gkgyver, I was wondering if you could name movies that pioneered in causing the general reflex of scepticism and fear when adaptions and remakes of source material are announced.

Joel Schumacher's Batman for example. 

The Lost World for yet another example. 

20 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Then there's Die Another Day that almost killed the soul of a 40 year old literary franchise. 

Or cinematic franchise, seeing as DAD was the 40th anniversary movie of same. 

No Bond movie will be able to destroy the cinematic franchise that is James Bond, not even as bad a film as Die Another Day. 

That said, No Time To Die is shaping up to be an epic disaster. 

And, unfortunately, an expansion on CD does not look like it's in the cards...yet...

Source:

Kinda irks me. We tried to do this for years...even recently but got shot down even though we would sell two to three times as many units on cd. Studios just like vinyl. However we will still continue to fight the good fight.

MV

So there will be no way to buy this digitally? That's really dumb. (I'm not interested in the score, but the release method is curious)

Probably some pretentious shit from Zimmer behind this, about "experiencing the score organically".

19 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Track list and times available here

For those who don't want to click through

1.Hijack (5:32) 
2.Mission: Impossible Theme (0:36) 
3.Seville - Part I & II (2:07) 
4.The Heist (2:40) 
5.Sunset Ride (0:38) 
6.Seville - Part III (1:52) 
7.Nyah (Film Version) (feat. Heitor Pereira) (2:42) 
8.Nekhorvich’s Message (1:18) 
9.Nyah's True Mission (2:27) 
10.The Bait (2:51) 
11.Ambrose Welcomes Nyah (4:08) 
12.The Chimera Myth (1:30) 
13.Finger Cutting (0:47) 
14.At The Race Track (7:06) 
15.McCloy Gets Gas - Nyah Tries To Escape (5:21) 
16.McCloy In Hospital - Ambrose Knows (2:46) 
17.Breaking Into Biocyte (3:02) 
18.Chimera - Part I (3:25) 
19.Bio-Techno (1:51) 
20.Injection (4:28) 
21.Chimera - Part II (6:18) 
22.Bare Island - Part I (2:24) 
23.Bare Island - Part II (3:02) 
24.Mano A Mano - Part I (4:15) 
25.Bare Island - Part III & IV (7:29) 
26.Mano A Mano - Part II (5:17) 

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

So there will be no way to buy this digitally? That's really dumb. (I'm not interested in the score, but the release method is curious)

Probably some pretentious shit from Zimmer behind this, about "experiencing the score organically".

I mean I know people like to blame Zimmer for everything. But this does not sound like something he would do. This feels more like a studio mandate or something.

Why there's so few official expanded scores by Zimmer? There's the Lion King Legacy Collection, The Peacemaker, The Thin Red Line and not much else, I guess.

I know the recording sessions for every even remotely "big" score of his leaks and there's countless bootlegs, but I believe he'd earn a lot of money with expanded editions of Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, The Last Samurai, King Arthur, Pirates, etc.

He nixed The Last Samurai when LLL wanted to do it years back. It wouldn't surprise me if he's blocked releases of other stuff.

am surprised however, that Gladiator has yet to see the official light of day.

13 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I mean I know people like to blame Zimmer for everything. But this does not sound like something he would do. This feels more like a studio mandate or something.

I was half joking. I'm sure it's not actually him who decided to just release it on vinyl, but I can also see him not particularly caring about about people wanting it digitally, either.

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Why there's so few official expanded scores by Zimmer? There's the Lion King Legacy Collection, The Peacemaker, The Thin Red Line and not much else, I guess.

You can add Rain Man, Thelma & Louise, Black Rain, and The Dark Knight too. Didn't Man Of Steel get an expanded release?

Yes, I'm THAT guy. But I just have to say it: expansions aren't necessary because it's the same music over and over.

And there's no better soundtrack to exemplify that than the deluxe Man Of Steel. 

And if you were to ask me, that is simply not the case. There were a handful of interesting tracks from MoS that neither release got to.

Admittedly the deluxe edition didnt do its score any favors by just adding some of the lesser tracks and a lot of massive suites. (ASM2 did the same)

In general Zimmer releases were kinda terribly filled out at the start of that decade. (Up until Interstellar)

14 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Yes, I'm THAT guy. But I just have to say it: expansions aren't necessary because it's the same music over and over.

And there's no better soundtrack to exemplify that than the deluxe Man Of Steel. 

Great, don’t buy it and let other people enjoy the expansion. 

7 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

And if you were to ask me, that is simply not the case. There were a handful of interesting tracks from MoS that neither release got to.

Admittedly the deluxe edition didnt do its score any favors by just adding some of the lesser tracks and a lot of massive suites. (ASM2 did the same)

In general Zimmer releases were kinda terribly filled out at the start of that decade. (Up until Interstellar)

I've seen those movies. 

There is nothing outside the albums that is immediately distinguishable from the albums. It's the same meandering wallpaper.

• 2 years later...
On 27/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, A. A. Ron said:

Interesting. It's only a matter of time then til this comes out on CD as well. I wonder which format will end up with the better mastering.

I was such a sweet summer child. Let LLL put this out on CD, you cowards!