Chat with John Williams and Gustavo Dudamel, June 30th 6pm

Tydirium

4 hours ago, JDSollie said:

I was just going to ask if someone would be able to record this. I will be able to listen to it when it airs on KUSC.org at 9 PM EST on June 2, but I would still like to be able to revisit it; looking forward to this.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

His voice is like ASMR!

It never occurred to me before, but you’re absolutely right! I could listen to him talk forever. 

13 hours ago, Fabulin said:

June 2nd, 2020, 6:00 P.M.

G.D.: You know why we are here, John.

J.W.: Absolutely.

G.D.: So tell me John, what are your favorite recordings?

J.W.: Well... I've got to tell you, Gustavo, that I never have the time to listen to music.

G.D. Oh.

Why do so many people on Quora end their answers with “That's all ...

Actually, some two decades ago, he told Classic CD magazine that, while having little time to listen to recordings, the Baremboin take on the Beethoven Sonatas was one of the few he would go back to on a regular basis.

I'll probably tune in to hear it, but not expecting anything new or in-depth, as previously mentioned. And, as always, expecting to cringe in the ocean of compliments that the interviewer always showers on Williams.

12 hours ago, JDSollie said:

Why is Duda's head so large?

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'll probably tune in to hear it, but not expecting anything new or in-depth, as previously mentioned. And, as always, expecting to cringe in the ocean of compliments that the interviewer always showers on Williams.

I'll be asleep, but I expect it will be available afterwards.

33 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The title and image make it seem like it's a reality TV show with Dudamel and Williams happily married.

The Real Composers of Beverly Hills

6 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Actually, some two decades ago, he told Classic CD magazine that, while having little time to listen to recordings, the Baremboin take on the Beethoven Sonatas was one of the few he would go back to on a regular basis.

I love that JW really digs Beethoven. His studying B’s symphonies in his spare time, his extracurricular activities while in Vienna, this anecdote... all the pieces fit. 

It'd be nice if this conversation went beyond the superficial stuff and got into the meat of musical works that Williams reveres. What musical pieces he enjoys listening to, which performances he likes most, composers he studies, etc.

Anything but that Schindler's List anecdote again...

Nice! And only one day after the Vienna broadcasts! <3 <3 <3

Feels like early birthday presents for me, all that - hurray!

Hopefully this will be archived one way or the other...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Anything but that Schindler's List anecdote again...

"Anyway, here are some of my favourite recordings of works by some of my favourite composers, who are all dead."

What I'm curious about is how Williams was interviewed. I sure hope he isn't going out or having anyone over, even with eased restrictions. He's too elderly to be doing anything during the pandemic.

The other possibility is that he's using technology. 

17 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

What I'm curious about is how Williams was interviewed. I sure hope he isn't going out or having anyone over, even with eased restrictions. He's too elderly to be doing anything during the pandemic.

The other possibility is that he's using technology. 

This was on topic Jay!

1 hour ago, Molly Weasley said:

Someone had posted among all that wondering how he'd be interviewed while it's a pandemic. Isn't it a phone interview?

That was me and, yes, I'm genuinely curious about that.

I was also irrationally excited by the possibility of JW using technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally! I've been waiting ages for JW to talk about how computer illiterate he is and how he is a slave to old fashion pencil and paper composing! Classic anecdotes here we come!