Chat with John Williams and Gustavo Dudamel, June 30th 6pm

Tydirium

1 hour ago, Martinland said:

(last time I did something like this was more than 20 years ago, before she was born even, for a live Star Wars chat where you could post questions intended for the Maestro ;))

I remember attending and then transcribing that whole chat for the earliest incarnation of this site, hours before an official transcript was available. Those crazy nights of '99...

On 6/26/2020 at 11:22 AM, Jay said:

Just saw the feature in there and figured I'd check it out

I guess it was a response to when board members decide to leave the forum and instead of just abandoning their account, they spend hours opening up every one of their old posts and erasing the contents.

People have a right to do that. Infact that should be an automatic option when somebody is deleting their account - that all their posts can be deleted also - save for quoted posts which cannot be deleted.

The right to be be forgotten is an important right.

People's careers and lives are ruined by something someone posted somewhere on the internet. So people definitely should have the right of deleting posts.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

People have a right to do that. Infact that should be an automatic option when somebody is deleting their account - that all their posts can be deleted also - save for quoted posts which cannot be deleted.

The right to be be forgotten is an important right.

People's careers and lives are ruined by something someone posted somewhere on the internet. So people definitely should have the right of deleting posts.

Breaking News: Tom Smith's career in limbo after some disturbing posts have come forward indicating that he preferred the scores of the first three Harry Potter films to those of Star Wars...Story at 11:00.  

22 hours ago, Ricard said:

I remember attending and then transcribing that whole chat for the earliest incarnation of this site, hours before an official transcript was available. Those crazy nights of '99...

Where's that transcript now?

12 minutes ago, Ricard said:

That's cool! My mind boggles when I think of John Williams doing a web Q&A like that back in the early days of the internet. Wonder how it was actually done? Williams sitting next to the Lucasfilm representative while the questions came in, perhaps?

I did not listen to this chat and don't plan to listen to it, while I'm convinced that my English is better than Dudamel's one. And mine is pretty terrible!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Williams sitting next to the Lucasfilm representative while the questions came in

That's *exactly* how it was done, they explained it beforehand, IIRC. ;)

Finally got time to listen to this on Thursday! Wonderful to hear JW and Dudamel. Lovely introduction to the Beethoven & Mozart pieces also, which I'd actually never heard before. The Jupiter symphony has now become one of my favorite classical pieces! 

I'm glad to hear JW echo the interviewer's characterization of his film scoring as being "on pause." Although that doesn't necessarily mean he has any projects lined up right now, it would seem to indicate that, at the very least, JW hasn't yet made a decision to retire from film scoring, and is still open to future projects (perhaps Spielberg films after West Side Story). 

Looking forward to the violin concerto and Vienna fanfare, the latter of which is a nice surprise and a tremendous honor for JW! (although I do fear that we will be stuck with cellphone videos, at best, for one or both of those) 

1 hour ago, Will said:

Looking forward to the violin concerto and Vienna fanfare, the latter of which is a nice surprise and a tremendous honor for JW! (although I do fear that we will be stuck with cellphone videos, at best, for one or both of those) 

I'm sure we won't. Mainly for the Violin Concerto. I bet Mutter will record it the first chance she gets.

13 hours ago, Smeltington said:

"The polarity of good and evil still remains, with the resonance of myth . Myth is what happens before history, or is the author of history, and it teaches us how to think and we all respond to a common mythology, to find similar stories in Chinese mythology, for example, and African mythology. And this common thread permeates the films"

Racist!

8 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I'm sure we won't. Mainly for the Violin Concerto. I bet Mutter will record it the first chance she gets.

True, forgot about the fact that she adores JW. Yeah, you're right, we will probably get a release.