Disney intentionally holding original Imperial March from the fans!

toni112007

I believed that the original Imperial March (film version) was lost due to how old The Empire Strikes Back is and that we got bad album version due to someone remixing it badly but this video proves that the original version still exists and in good quality too (you can hear at 16:14 section that there are no tie fighters so the clean version does exist!)! If you can't hear the difference between this powerful and the best version imo from the crappy album one then I am sorry but yes they are different. I believe that someone at Disney or Lucasfilm intentionally holds back the best version possible of Imperial March from the fans.

A different take was tracked over the end of Imperial Probe, like it unfortunately happened with most of the little tail-end cutaway statements which were nevertheless all shaped to fit the cues and be varied instead of straight retreads.

Well that goes without saying, it should be presented as Imperial March (alternate) somewhere, and the intended recordings left intact. (no placing film version inserts randomly around either, ahem)

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

if it was true we'd all know about it a long time ago

You were correct. Film mix isn't available.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Isn't the version on the SE the film version?

All the various mixes, sources and releases for this score are too darn confusing.

No, if you listen carefully they are different. SE version doesn't have cymbals and much more.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, toni112007 said:

I believed that the original Imperial March (film version) was lost due to how old The Empire Strikes Back is and that we got bad album version due to someone remixing it badly but this video proves that the original version still exists and in good quality too (you can hear at 16:14 section that there are no tie fighters so the clean version does exist!)! If you can't hear the difference between this powerful and the best version imo from the crappy album one then I am sorry but yes they are different. I believe that someone at Disney or Lucasfilm intentionally holds back the best version possible of Imperial March from the fans.

What the screaming fuck are you talking about?

On 5/31/2020 at 8:06 AM, toni112007 said:

FYI that clip in the video you posted is actually from a documentary from the 80's. That footage isn't new, we've had it for decades. The original recording is likely lost to time.

6 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

What the screaming fuck are you talking about?

He's talking about the music in the film itself, for when the Imperial Fleet is first shown in space after Han & Chewie destroy the probe.  The film drops Williams' intended cue (the cue first made available on the 1997 SE set as "Aboard The Executor"), and tracks in The Imperial March instead.  But more specifically, it doesn't track in the same takes that were used to assemble the album version of The Imperial March, they tracked in different takes with different instrumentation and such.

I hope that explains it for you. 

I don't think Disney is "holding it back."  They haven't done a new program of Star Wars music since they've owned the rights.  When the time comes, I'm sure all the film versions will be on the disc (although as others mentioned, I hope this one is stuck in the alternates in favor of Williams' original intentions).

When assembling the 1980 OST LP, John Williams and his team chose the takes they wanted for the desired performance and final definitive edit of The Impoerial March presented on the LP and used on every album since.

The team working on the film decided to track some different takes than the album takes for the scene in question

The makers of the 1994 4CD box set didn't have space to include the different takes tracked into the film, and it surely wasn't a priority for the makers of the 1997 2CD set either.

And there has been no new albums of Empire music released since 1997, only re-issues of prior albums.

The mouse house is not the entity to blame for not being able to hear the film takes outside of the film itself.  No one is to blame, really.  The large majority of films released contain music in them that is not available on albums.

Didn't the Disney demasters feature different takes in some cases?  Did somebody compare the demaster Imperial March to previous releases to verify they were they same takes?

The prequel albums used different takes in spots but I don't think the original trilogy albums did

Well, it's hard converting an LCR mix to stereo! ;)

I've lost hope that the multitrack masters exist for these scores anymore, in satisfactory condition anyway. What a disaster.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I've lost hope that the multitrack masters exist for these scores anymore, in satisfactory condition anyway. What a disaster.

amazing that they were never digitalized and preserved 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

amazing that they were never digitalized and preserved 

On 5/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, toni112007 said:

I believe that someone at Disney or Lucasfilm intentionally holds back the best version possible of Imperial March from the fans.

That person was probably appointed by Williams after he'd picked his preferred takes for the original album release. He put the remaining tapes in a vault and placed a guard in front of it. That person has been on Lucasfilm's and now Disney's payroll ever since and is paid a large salary to guard those tapes with their life, making certain that nobody will ever get to hear them.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't the Disney demasters feature different takes in some cases?  Did somebody compare the demaster Imperial March to previous releases to verify they were they same takes?

I've already compared them, they're not the same take. It's still the same old album takes.

I hope that one day we will get something like anthology (probably the best star wars soundtrack release ever) release with outtakes including more movie version of the soundtracks.

Anyway I have noticed 1980/anthology version sounding different than limited/SE edition (worse quality imo). 1980/anthology you can even hear cymbals if you boost some frequencies. They can barely be heard on stock version because someone did bad job at mixing it, I think it was Eric Tomlinson.

12 minutes ago, toni112007 said:

I hope that one day we will get something like anthology (probably the best star wars soundtrack release ever) release with outtakes including more movie version of the soundtracks.

Anyway I have noticed 1980/anthology version sounding different than limited/SE edition (worse quality imo). 1980/anthology you can even hear cymbals if you boost some frequencies. They can barely be heard on stock version because someone did bad job at mixing it, I think it was Eric Tomlinson.

It wasn't a mixing problem. As has been discussed here many times over the last two decades, someone accidentally left the DNR tool running too long, basically slowly shaving off the higher frequencies. 

I can't ever imagine it being released on CD or digital separately (as much as I want it to happen). 

I can see score only versions of all the films going on Disney Plus is the only likely way we would get it. 

But the chances of that are also slim :(

22 hours ago, stravinsky said:

Can't believe the amount of anal minutae on this forum. Who gives a toss if it's the same music but a different take? Christ. 

I will never give up on the movie Imperial March. Never!!!

On 6/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, stravinsky said:

Can't believe the amount of anal minutae on this forum. Who gives a toss if it's the same music but a different take? Christ. 

Do you not know where you are? 😂

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I never really noticed the film version was that different

But it is. But probably bigger issue is that the album version is bad quality since much of the higher frequencies are missing.

8 hours ago, toni112007 said:

But it is. But probably bigger issue is that the album version is bad quality since much of the higher frequencies are missing.

That depends on the release. On the OST and Anthology boxset it's perfect. On the SE, not so much.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, stravinsky said:

20200605_172410.gif