1. 1. Which score do you like the most?

• The Swarm
    • The Great Train Robbery
    • Haven't heard both scores
  2. 2. Which movie do you like the most?

• The Swarm
    • The Great Train Robbery
    • Haven't seen both movies

Two scores that are currently available in expanded editions.

I voted for The Great Train Robbery (score) and haven't seen any of the films. I'd like to watch The Great Train Robbery, but my copy was stolen.

Have only listened to the re-recorded themes of both, although I do own the V/S GTR and the Prometheus Swarm.

Have only seen The Swarm a long time ago on TV and really can't remember it.

Both pro TGTR, The Swarm is a killer score but similar to other action stuff from the late 70's, Train is a more exclusive affair with its heavy Prokoviev vibe.

I have seen neither of the movies, but TRAIN ROBBERY is by far the best score, IMO. Or at least the one I like the most.

I saw THE SWARM, on its release, at the cinema, but only caught up with THE FIRST GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, on telly, in the 80s.

Although I really like TFGTR, I went for THE SWARM, on both counts. The film is silly, beyond imagination, but it falls into the "so bad it's good" category.

The score currently resides at #6 in my all time top 10 Jerry scores. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Weird choices for a "What's better?"-thread. Make a poll about Capricorn OneDamnation AlleyLogan's Run and The Swarm instead.

Ok...it's still THE SWARM.

Score: Great Train Robbery. I only heard the full Swarm when the recent release came out, and while it's fine, it so far doesn't seem to stand out in a special way among many other Goldsmith scores with similar leanings (some of them among his best). Train Robbery on the other hand is easily my favourite of his in that idiom.

Film: I've never seen The Swarm, but Train Robbery is a wonderful film and has long been one of my favourite comedies, not least because of the cast (Sutherland is brilliant) and the score.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which other scores are there in the same idiom?

Not that many. Most say Dennis the Menace is closely related, though I don't really hear it.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not that many. Most say Dennis the Menace is closely related, though I don't really hear it.

So it's not that hard to choose a favourite then. :)

54 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You seriously don't hear the similarity in the Main Title for both scores? :o 

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You seriously don't hear the similarity in the Main Title for both scores? :o 

Not significantly, no. They may have similar orchestral colours, but they're totally different in "tone" to me.