John Williams (and Ennio Morricone) bestowed with the 2020 Princess of Asturias Award for the Arts

jocores

Never even heard of this prize, but I'm sure he'll be able to squeeze it in there, among the thousands of other prizes.

Personally, I'd really only like to see him get one prize, the Polar Music Prize.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And the Nobel Peace Price, of course.

You jest in regard to the 'peace' aspect, but the Polar Music Prize is generally considered the "Nobel Music Prize", since Nobel doesn't really have that category.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, because then we'd get him to Norway! And we'd never allow him to leave... :D

True. But the Polar Prize gets him to Sweden; that's close enough. Post-corona, though.

12 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is the Princess of Asturias a fan of JW?

I think i read years ago that his father, the king, was a star wars fan.

I found this...i think it is a little exxagerating but.... Well it ways the whole family went to see the rise of skywalker..... 

https://www.diariodesevilla.es/gente/reyes-star-wars-guerra-galaxias-cine_0_1421558170.html

13 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is the Princess of Asturias a fan of JW?

On the site it says:

This candidature was put forward by Juan Barja de Quiroga Losada, member of the Jury for the 2020 Prince of Asturias Award for Social Sciences

But at least the Princess didn't veto it ! 

I'm guessing she wanted to give the award to Morricone, but he insisted that his brother JW get it as well... ;)

The speech of the people who have been awarded are usually great, because they must focus on a theme and ellaborate on that. It would great to be able to listen to Williams' and Morricone's speeches. Here, for example, is Martin Scorsese's  speech, who was awarded two years ago.

https://www.fpa.es/multimedia-en/videos/speech-by-martin-scorsese-at-the-2018-ceremony.html?idCategoria=3&idSubcategoria=0

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, eitam said:

I will be happy and honoured to meet them on 16th October.

Rest in peace, Maestro - we heard your work while strolling through the old streets of Grado, Italy, each and every year - because there always would be some kind of TV programme on RAI featuring your music...

...this year we had to skip our Grado summer holiday, sadly, but we did meet you in1999 in Austria, great times...

On 6/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, Pawel P. said:

Gratitude from Williams. As always with class and grace.

102373404_1426393167548110_5632125976737375231_n.jpg

On 6/6/2020 at 11:26 AM, eitam said:

The statement by Morricone has class and grace as well, and is a little more personal:

https://www.fpa.es/en/princess-of-asturias-awards/laureates/2020-ennio-morricone-and-john-williams.html?texto=declaracion&especifica=0

"solitude", work "ethic", "constant dedication" are indeed also words that we have seen applied to Williams. 

With the passing of Ennio Morricone, this hits the heart deep.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

John Williams and I have travelled parallel paths in our careers, sharing the same love and commitment to music and to music in film. Writing music also means experiencing profound solitude and concentration. I feel that John and I share the same ethic and constant dedication that makes us not only colleagues, but also brothers.

A very touching comment. I can only imagine how Williams must be feeling today, especially knowing he was to accept this honour alongside Ennio. He must feel a profound sense of responsibility to honour him in his acceptance speech, which will presumably be pre-recorded in LA.

I'm 4 years late, but I just watched the video of Morricone's oscar win in 2016... He and Williams are sitting next to each other in the box with the other best score nominees, they embrace after the anouncement, and Morricone mentions Williams in his speech... 

On 7/7/2020 at 2:52 AM, crumbs said:

A very touching comment. I can only imagine how Williams must be feeling today, especially knowing he was to accept this honour alongside Ennio. He must feel a profound sense of responsibility to honour him in his acceptance speech, which will presumably be pre-recorded in LA.

Oh, I didn't realize Williams might make a real speech beyond the statement we've seen. If he does, yes, let's hope he makes it special.

1 hour ago, eitam said:

sorry to interrupt the solemnity, but I must say that the way March of the Resistance enters after the other nominees is absolutely savage :lol:

It borders on the Family Guy level...

:D

I got a bigger jolt from hearing Harvey Weinstein being thanked nearly in the same breath as WiIliams though. So 2016.

• 3 months later...

Yesterday's acceptance speech video from the maestro:

https://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/premios-principes-de-asturias/john-williams-discurso-premio-princesa-asturias-2020/5686237/

Damn...its dubbed in spanish. Must be in english somewhere

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yesterday's acceptance speech video from the maestro:

https://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/videos/premios-principes-de-asturias/john-williams-discurso-premio-princesa-asturias-2020/5686237/

Damn...its dubbed in spanish. Must be in english somewhere

I'm looking at those big books on his left... on two of them, I think I read "Star Wars" and "The Rise of Skywalker". If I'm correct, it should be the bound complete score! :drool:

Could be The Rise of Skywalker...

I'm more distracted by that biiig framed photograph (painting?) of him at the podium... where can we buy those? :lol:

Perhaps some of our resident Spanish members (Ricard himself?) could translate for us, since Williams' speech is inaudible? I noticed he paid a small tribute to Morricone in there.

48 minutes ago, eitam said:

Could be The Rise of Skywalker...

I'm more distracted by that biiig framed photograph (painting?) of him at the podium... where can we buy those? :lol:

I had noticed that it looks like a painting, indeed... however, I don't think I want to have that in my house :lol:      

A bound complete score for ROS (or any of his other works) signed by him, on the other hand...  

Hopefully someone can translate for us! As for the labels on the books, looks like:

STAR WARS

THE RISE OF

SKYWALKER

MUSIC BY

WILLIAMS, JOHN

books.jpg

Not sure what the symbols represent halfway down the spine. Volume numbers perhaps?

So yeah, probably the leather-bound scores. I'm sure @BrotherSound would give anything to have 20 minutes with these! :P

Not sure about the gigantic painting of himself on the wall though. Seems oddly self indulgent for JW.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not sure about the gigantic painting of himself on the wall though. Seems oddly self indulgent for JW.

It's likely a gift from someone. How is gratitude self indulgent?

2 hours ago, Ricard said:

(In case anyone else clicks just your link: Maurizio's Twitter link right after yours has just the original English audio)

At 88, Williams hopes to "someday" visit Spain. He really seems to intend to live until at least 100. He mis-pronounces "Morricone", though.

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

At 88, Williams hopes to "someday" visit Spain. He really seems to intend to live until at least 100. He mis-pronounces "Morricone", though.

Also, hearing him, it sounds like the only thing preventing him from going to Spain to receive his award is the pandemic...