John Williams' Oliver Stone scores won't be sold as a box set

Amer

For all of those clamouring for an Oliver Stone Box set from LLL as a possibility...

Mike Matessino had the following to say at the FSM LLL June 2020 thread:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140451&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=748#bottom

I don't see this ever happening as a collection no matter who makes a call, polite or otherwise.

JFK = WB / Warner Music
Born on the Fourth of July = Uni / UME
Nixon = Disney
It was a simple matter for Varese to license Pete 'n' Tillie for one compilation to add to a title they control. The Disaster collection is technically three separate releases and got done only because of that fact and because WB deferred entirely to Fox on The Towering Inferno.

It would have been great as a collection for convenience's sake and the fact there isn't probably that much unreleased music between them. But it doesn't really matter much as it would probably cost more or less the same as three individual releases. I'm not quite sure what is there to gain from JFK expansion but the other two would be most welcome.

Karol

I had no idea Williams ever recorded anything for JFK to picture. The score as heard in the film is such a mishmash that it's hard to judge. An effective mishmash, I might add.

I just noticed it's included free on Prime. Might watch it later to refresh my memory of it. It's been quite a few years.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

An effective mishmash, I might add.

Indeed, sometimes it feels like the chopped up score is mimicking the chopped up cut. I really like how it plays out together, to be honest.

I had no idea Williams ever recorded anything for JFK to picture. The score as heard in the film is such a mishmash that it's hard to judge. An effective mishmash, I might add.

I just noticed it's included free on Prime. Might watch it later to refresh my memory of it. It's been quite a few years.

Karol

Yeah the editorial scoring approach complements Stone's editing style quite perfectly.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

As long as they are released the same day i dont care....

Well, two options, assuming they all get released:

a) They're all ready at the same time anyway and therefore get released on the same day

b) They're not ready at the same time, so they're either released one after the other, or they're released simultaneously when the last one is finished

I'll take them as they come. ;) 

The Disney ownership of Nixon would be problematic. BOT4J seems like a no-brainer for LLL (given their ties with Universal), likewise JFK and WB (though WB are apparently harder to deal with since a management change), but Nixon seems like Intrada territory.

As long as we get all 3 scores eventually, not too phased whether it's in a box set or not. Just seemed like the most logical follow-up JW box set since they've become a staple recently (JP, Harry Potter and the Disaster Boxes, the latter personally requested by Williams himself, so he's clearly not averse to the concept).

5 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

1 1960’s, The Turbulent Years (5:04)

0:00-0:37 1M1 Opening Emblem

0:37-end Nixon Trailer

Wait a minute, so The Turbulent Years is actually music JW recorded for the movie's trailer? Really?

That's a little unfortunate to be honest, I love this cue and I always thought it played in the movie.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

Is this thread confirmation these scores will be released?

No confirmation either way. Maybe the labels have already looked into it and decided it wasn't feasible (and have already started on standalone releases), or maybe they just know it would be a waste of time trying and nothing's been done. 

Not sure why one would want this in a boxed set when all the soundtracks are readily available individually.

Give me a boxed set of, say, ALCOA PREMIERE THEATRE, and we're talking!

On 07/06/2020 at 12:32 AM, Edmilson said:

Wait a minute, so The Turbulent Years is actually music JW recorded for the movie's trailer? Really?

That's a little unfortunate to be honest, I love this cue and I always thought it played in the movie.

Why would the media that a piece of music was written for affect your enjoyment of the music?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not sure why one would want this in a boxed set when all the soundtracks are readily available individually.

I think they're all out of print.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Perhaps, but fairly easy to find for a reasonable amount. Especially BOT4OJ.

Now, an Altman/Williams box would have been really interesting (if we're keeping this to director boxes). THE LONG GOODBYE has been more than sufficiently released already (overkill, almost, for such a mono-thematic and 'gimmicky' score), but IMAGES needs serious remastering. And then you could throw in THE KATHERINE REED STORY short, as well all the KRAFT episodes they did together. I'd buy that!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why would the media a piece of music was written for affect your enjoyment of the music?

The track is too good to be trailer music, should've been a movie cue. 

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Should've been a Star Wars movie cue, for a baddie!!

Karol

I have two extra copies of JFK if anyone is interested.

2 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'd like a JFK CD I can put in my CD player and listen to all the way through, without interruptions from Tony Bennett et al.

Watutsi!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I understand and agree completely.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sorry, I still don't understand. Can you explain more what you mean? 

Trailer music shouldn't be this good. It's a piece of music created to market a movie, it must be effective but it doesn't have to be this great. 

I don't know, maybe it's the years listening to horrible trailer music made me surprised when I knew that a piece so good as The Turbulent Years was used in nothing more than a publicity stunt.

On the 90s, trailer music used to be as good as the best piece on the Nixon OST. These days, the quality is simply abysmal. Most trailer music is just slow, dark versions of well known songs and pieces. The 2015 movie San Andreas has the most laughable of these abominations:

I had the BOT4OJ expanded bootleg once (don't ask me why), and it was dreadful. The OST has the perfect representation of the score. I physically broke the CD-R in two and threw it in the trash bin! :D

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Good! You really showed that illegally burned piece of plastic who's the big boy.

Ha, ha. Indeed.

I can't hear a good portion of 'The 1960's: The Turblent Years' without imagining that it could easily be some sort of alternate for Anakin vs Obi Wan. Always thought that its more than passing resemblence to Across the Stars in parts with the action feel made it quite a good fit for the mood of the scene!

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is JW a democrat?

He rarely makes political comments, but yes -- obviously. He's composed themes for both Michael Dukakis and Obama.