The Lost World (Alternate)

Alex

24 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Revised concert Version

I actually prefer the concert version too. Do we know it was revised or is the film version shortened?

Karol

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I actually prefer the concert version too. Do we know it was revised or is the film version shortened?

The opening 15 sec of "The Lost World (alternate)" track appears to be an independently written intro ("End Credit Intro," 11 measures long), seperate from "Lost World (End Credit)" cue proper.

I also like this alternate version a lot, esp. since you get a hint of one of "The Hunt"'s motivic gestures around the :11 second mark that I don't think appears elsewhere.

Compare:

and

(In case you needed more evidence that "The Hunt" comprises a set of transformations of the main TLW theme).

Incidentally it's worth noting the other version of the Main Theme, I'm sure many of you know is the the Hal Leonard signature edition. This one has its own unique intro (which then leads to the same intro as the original album version). It also features a slightly expanded central episode and coda, both I assume William's direct doing, and both welcome additions to my ears. Has there every been an official recording by Williams of this, as opposed to Kunzel, the FSO, etc..?

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

There's a bootleg where Williams performs it in London I think

Whoa, where can I hear that?

Karol

I have it somewhere on a cdr.Can't find the file on my PC.  Sound quality is really really bad (Satellite Celebration bad) but it seems like the "best" performance of the theme itself with a more robust intro than Kunzel

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Seriously, is there another score by Williams with a bigger disparity between how it's viewed by the general public (ignored, or in shadow of JP1) vs. what JW fans think (a true unsung masterpiece)?

Jaws 2!

I'm surprised by this consensus - I never liked the alternate opening. It feels like the build-up to the main theme is less structured and dramatic to me.

I think it might be that there are two mini crescendos  with cymbals - one seemingly placed in the middle of the build-up, and another much smaller introducing the theme. The 'main' version feels cleaner to me - building up rapidly to one crescendo.

Are we talking about this? Yes, it’s outstanding and one of the highlights from the 4CD set. That rhythm and trombone as Alex says is classic “jazz infused” Williams which we love!

56 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Are we talking about this? Yes, it’s outstanding and one of the highlights from the 4CD set. That rhythm and trombone as Alex says is classic “jazz infused” Williams which we love!

Where is that excerpt taken from? I haven’t heard that ending before,

I edited it to make a clean ending after pulling it from the film audio years ago, before MM’s album.

In hindsight, the timing was slightly off.

1 hour ago, mahler3 said:

I edited it to make a clean ending after pulling it from the film audio years ago, before MM’s album.

In hindsight, the timing was slightly off.

Nice, so this appears in the film? I’d only ever heard it on the MM album.