What score do you prefer: Hook or The Philosopher Stone?

Edmilson

JW's fantasy scores  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What score do you prefer?

• Hook
    • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

On 6/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, rough cut said:

Is it still a tie?

I don’t do polls, but it is Hook so you can add a +1 in your mind there for my (none-) vote.

Also, how is this even a competition?

Rough cut, this is your moment to shine and give Hook the edge.

I have to go with hook because as a lover of some jazz harm Hook has more of it. Potter is a darker film but I still enjoy his work on it as well. Hook to me has more of those graceful moments that I just listen to over and over. "The Face of Pan" (There you are peter) gets me with that distant flute and those chords on that cadence at 0:52 and again at 1:02... masterful cadence. JW is my hero for these little moments. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WaBQiWxs-A&list=PL58B382310182619B&index=17

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would be unethical to vote? You also stay away from elections? ;)

No, of course not, but these polls here on JWfan... they tend to be a bit arbitrary. And on top of that, there’s an abundance of them.

And even if I vote, and Hook wins, what would that prove. It doesn’t really mean that Hook is actually the better score.

Like what you like. :)

I’d rather partake in the discussion that these questions raises, then there can be nuances and I might learn something new about a score I’d regarded as “lesser” or whatever.

But these kinds of polls... not my cup of tea.

Too many notes! ;)

I can definitely see why people prefer Hook over HPPS. Many JWfans prefer the Williams music of the 70s and 80s over the Williams music mid 90s to early 2000s. I personally prefer his music of the later period so it makes sense why I would like the score for HP more. 

I think ultimately HP1's darker cues made me prefer the package as a whole. I don't particularly prefer those dark cues, but the rest of HP1 sounds like a genuine invitation to a magical world. Hook is inherently sentimental from the start and even though most of it is great, Hook offers nothing that the listener… deserves, whereas Harry Gets His Wand's intro, for example, really feels like a turning point, but if you immediately open with Granny Wendy, the Never Feast is just… more of the same great stuff.

I bet there are or inevitably will be some voters who have never really heard full Hook, and just came here to say "I like Harry Potter". The other way around is less likely.

If we account for the immense franchise popularity of Harry Potter, Hook is actually winning.

5 hours ago, Fabulin said:

If we account for the immense franchise popularity of Harry Potter, Hook is actually winning.

But the question is "which score do you prefer" and not "which score deserves more popularity" (which by the way would still be Harry Potter, unless we're talking about popularity gain in relation to the current popularity).

I feel like even a lot of HP music fans haven’t heard the full score. The soundtrack albums left a lot of music out as usual for movies this long. Great cues like the troll fight and Dumbledore’s advice are barely audible in the movie and aren’t on the OST album.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, Fabulin said:

I bet there are or inevitably will be some voters who have never really heard full Hook, and just came here to say "I like Harry Potter". The other way around is less likely.

If anything the likelier reversal is people voting Hook to vote against Harry Potter. Which I don’t think is a lot in either case. People generally enjoy both or neither.

The poll’s obviously a draw. It just confirms that these scores split the difference on this forum because they basically have similar strengths and weaknesses.

That is kind of true, but to me it sounds like a better version. Maybe i just prefer the sound of those London musicians and the Air studios hall though.