ROTJ vs POA

Unlucky Bastard

ROTJ vs POA  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Return of the Jedi
    • Prisoner of Azkaban

Williams doing something he's done many times but doing it damn well... or Williams going a bit out there to explore and succeeding immensely.

I love both but I'd say POA.

RETURN OF THE JEDI is my second favourite score of all time, so that wins, hands down.

But AZKABAN is a damn fine score -- really the last time we heard 'old-school' Williams. It's probably somewhere in my top 20 Williamses.

There is no objective POV with art.  It is inherently subjective.  Every attempt I've ever read to apply a rational, systematized approach to evaluating music is at heart an emotional response that the writer then disguises with the language of philosophy/science.

I love ROTJ as much as any other person, but Prisoner of Azkaban is an intelligent, thoughtful and extremely creative score filled with highlights.

Currently, I'd say PoA is my favorite Williams score as of right now.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There is no objective POV with art.  It is inherently subjective.  Every attempt I've ever read to apply a rational, systematized approach to evaluating music is at heart an emotional response that the writer then disguises with the language of philosophy/science.

The only solution is to create music that in no way can be mistaken for art. Balfe made it.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

AZKABAN is a damn fine score -- really the last time we heard 'old-school' Williams. 

How on earth are War Horse and Lincoln not considered old school Williams in your mind?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

How on earth are War Horse and Lincoln not considered old school Williams in your mind?

LINCOLN is the type of Americana he can write in his sleep. WAR HORSE does have hints of the ol' pastoral sound, but not consistently enough. AZKABAN was really the last time he 'went nuts' with the hummable, adventurous themes and setpieces that seemed to come straight out of the 90s (or 80s even), without just becoming a whimsical flurry. And loads of entertaining (rather than lazy) pastiche. Hardly a low moment on the whole soundtrack. But as I said -- still not on ROTJ's level, obviously.

Just now, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The majority of JWFan these days seems to be HP geeks.

And STAR WARS, obviously.

POA for me. But I prefer any of the three JW Potters above all of the OT Star Wars scores. And that’s even on a purely musical enjoyment level, factoring out my nostalgia for the movies themselves. 

The highs of ROTJ are better than the highs of POA, but POA (or at least the OST of POA) is more consistent, doesn’t have a dead spot in the middle of it (although my problem with ROTJ is likely more to do with the film’s lumpy pacing from Dagobah to the Brother and Sister scene).  But I could see myself falling on the other side of this some other day

RotJ is so beautiful that it literally makes me cry. The Luke vs. Vader climax is one of my favourite musical moments of all time. PoA is not that mind-blowing, but it's still one of JW's best scores.

So on a purely emotional impact scale, RotJ wins hands down.