Bob Dylan on John Williams

Lewya

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It pains me when a literature nobel laureate says that someone "could care less".

I could care less about what you think (because, of course, you are right--it is as irritating as "irregardless.")

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It pains me when a literature nobel laureate says that someone "could care less".

I am not surprised at all. Nobel Prizes in literature have been given out to puzzlingly undeserving people since their very first year.

I grew up with a cassette copy that my dad had made of HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED and SLOW TRAIN COMING. So like every person on the planet, I have a connection to his music. But I was never a big fan, I'm sorry to say. Too much reliance on the lyrics, and not enough interesting stuff happening in the music itself. The whole singer/songwriter tradition, I've been unable to grasp onto.

That being said, I've always been curious about what he thinks about other modes of music. And John Williams, for that matter. So although brief, that was a cool quote.

Me too. I'm guessing the admiration is mutual, even though Dylan is far removed from Williams in style and approach. Am I misremembering, or were both of these guys honoured at some prize ceremony some years back? Was it the Kennedy Honours? If not, something else?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder what John Williams thinks of Bobby Dylan.

He's probably puzzled that Ollie Stone wanted a cover of one of Bobby's songs to open the BotFoJ album.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Me too. I'm guessing the admiration is mutual, even though Dylan is far removed from Williams in style and approach. Am I misremembering, or were both of these guys honoured at some prize ceremony some years back? Was it the Kennedy Honours? If not, something else?

The 2009 National Medal of Arts, which took place in February 2010, though Dylan wasn’t present at the ceremony apparently:

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Same thing John Williams says he thinks of every other musician: 

"He's a young, marvelous, and creative musical talent." - John Williams, on any musician. 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, moi said:

I hate Dylan obviously because I can't stand songs, especially those "brilliant" lyrics, taken from the wall of WC. Every time some wannabe rocker is trying knockin heavens door, I puke. 

tom cruise what GIF

On 6/13/2020 at 2:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

On 6/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, JTWfan77 said:

He's probably puzzled that Ollie Stone wanted a cover of one of Bobby's songs to open the BotFoJ album.

Jimmy Cameron wanted Williams for Titanic, so wonders will never cease.

Sadly we never got to hear what a Williams soundtracked Stan Kubrick might have sounded like. 

Romy Polanski might have taken advantage of him if he could.

Dave Lynch probably wouldn't be interested in working with John Williams.

But who knows, perhaps there's still time for Williams to score a Manny Shyamalan flick.

I like Dylan too, although admittedly I'm not so keen on the Cult of Dylan, that like an overgrown tree, cuts out sunlight to other equally worthy songwriters, who for all their talent aren't as adept at the art of personal myth-making as he is.

5 hours ago, Sharkissimo said:

I like Dylan too, although admittedly I'm not so keen on the Cult of Dylan, that like an overgrown tree, cuts out sunlight to other equally worthy songwriters, who for all their talent aren't as adept at the art of personal myth-making as he is.

I'm not also that fussed at Dylan's malapropism, which has been so widely used/abused that's been accepted as a colloquialism. Although I understand why those speak English as a second language might give less latitude to these technically incorrect variants.

Once Dylan accepted the Nobel, I lost all respect for him.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sadly we never got to hear what a Williams soundtracked Stan Kubrick might have sounded like. 

My suspicion is that Williams by 1977 was aware of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey sentiment how Hollywood composers were not as good as the classics, which once led to the replacement of North's score by temp-tracked classical pieces. That might be part of the reason why Williams bothered to make Star Wars so good.