Concert version of WAR HORSE theme?

bruce marshall

I knew I was going to love the music for WAR HORSE just from the trailer

Unfortunately, the theme in the trailer is only heard fleetingly in the score and never truly developed ( "  Plowing" at 3:30).

It wish JW did a " E.T and Me" style arrangement of this gorgeous melody.

Had he possibly done this for concerts?

Thanks!

Brm

IIRC, the trailer was cut after the film's score was already recorded, and they just used bits of the score in the trailer, mostly from Plowing - and the FYC album version of Plowing has more of what you're looking for than the OST album version of Plowing.  

He didn't make any sort of new arrangement of Plowing for concerts that I know of, he usually just performs the concert version of Dartmoor, like you can hear on the Spielberg/Williams III album

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And on the upcoming Wiener Philharmoniker concert release, with an extra luxurious brass chorale.

That was magical! One of the many highlights of these concerts.

I think the whole War Horse soundtrack is an acquired taste, meaning it takes a lot of listens before she opens up to you, but starting with Plowing is surely the track to begin. From there you can only get deeper into the score.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, rough cut said:

I think the whole War Horse soundtrack is an acquired taste, meaning it takes a lot of listens before she opens up to you, but starting with Plowing is surely the track to begin. From there you can only get deeper into the score.

I made an LP version that I think is a great listen

Total time : 44 minutes

Screenshot_2020-06-15-15-12-10~2.png

This thread inspired me to watch the trailer, then watch the No Man's Land scene, then to listen to this album during my run on Sunday night.  So bummer that there aren't more concert arrangements from WAR HORSE, but thanks for bringing it up!

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I made an LP version that I think is a great listen

Total time : 44 minutes

Screenshot_2020-06-15-15-12-10~2.png

No The Homecomig?

I can't imagine enjoying a condensed version of War Horse without that track.  It's one of my favorite Williams end credits suites there is!

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine enjoying a condensed version of War Horse without that track.  It's one of my favorite Williams end credits suites there is!

Some of his more recent end credits tracks are perfect encapsulations of the score and wonderful codas for the album, namely War Horse, Lincoln and The Force Awakens

I programmed it as an ' lp' , 45 minutes.

HOMECOMING is too long for that format

It's really just a recapitulation of all the themes.

I listen to it as a standalone track. Doesn't work as an album track, since it's really not part of the film.

But, yeah it's a great suite!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's included as a digital download.

Marshall don't do downloads!😠

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Some of his more recent end credits tracks are perfect encapsulations of the score and wonderful codas for the album, namely War Horse, Lincoln and The Force Awakens

MINORITY REPORT is a great example!

In a similar vein, is "The People's House" from Lincoln actually trailer music?  I just re-watched that highly entertaining film and, as ever, was disappointed by the lack of that theme in the movie, certainly in its triumphant "People's House" mode and maybe altogether.  I'm sure it played in all its glory on the trailer, though.  Is it a concert suite based on trailer music?

9 hours ago, igger6 said:

In a similar vein, is "The People's House" from Lincoln actually trailer music?  I just re-watched that highly entertaining film and, as ever, was disappointed by the lack of that theme in the movie, certainly in its triumphant "People's House" mode and maybe altogether.  I'm sure it played in all its glory on the trailer, though.  Is it a concert suite based on trailer music?

I think Lincoln OST can almost be considered a concept album. It is mostly concert pieces with expansive renderings of several themes that do not appear in that form anywhere in the film. The score in the film is very muted and sparse. Little of the OST appears in the film.

11 hours ago, igger6 said:

I think he just wrote it for the end credits and then it got tracked into the telegraphic scene in the film, and was used to open the OST.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think Lincoln OST can almost be considered a concept album. It is mostly concert pieces with expansive renderings of several themes that do not appear in that form anywhere in the film. The score in the film is very muted and sparse. Little of the OST appears in the film.

It's still mostly film cues but yes the amount of album-only material is much larger than most of his other scores.  It all works really awesomely (except the Jim Taylor track which I think is kinda pointless)

On 6/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Re: LINCOLN

Liked the film alot.

Disappointed in the score..too much ' period' stuff for my tastes..the main theme is very similar to Silvestri's great CAST AWAY theme.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:11 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

And on the upcoming Wiener Philharmoniker concert release, with an extra luxurious brass chorale.

I know what you mean. Such a profound moment and I’m so happy it was recorded. Somehow when I think of the magic of JW in Vienna, that chorale is the first thing that comes to my mind.