What's your favorite Star Wars product ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm?

Edmilson

Disney Wars  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Star Wars things since the Disney purchase?

• The movies (Sequel Trilogy, Rogue One, Solo)
    • The live-action TV show The Mandalorian
    • The animated TV show Star Wars: Rebels
    • The final season of Clone Wars
    • The animated TV show Star Wars: Resistance
    • The EA videogames (Battlefront, Battlefront II, Jedi: Fallen Order)
    • The new books released since 2014
    • The new comics released since 2015
    • The Galaxy's Edge park
    • The new music by John Williams (Sequel Trilogy scores + Galaxy's Edge theme and Han Solo's theme)
    • The remastered John Williams albums, now on streaming services
    • Other (specify in the comments below)
    • Nothing, everything was shit and Lucas shouldn't have sold his masterpiece to this evil corporation!
  2. 2. Do you think the Disney purchase was bad for the franchise?

• Of course not! There has been some great stuff for the franchise since the Disney acquisition
    • Of course it was! Everything they released since the purchase was utter crap. The franchise should've stayed on Lucas' hands

There has been a deluge of Star Wars media ever since Disney bought LFL. There was some good stuff, some bad stuff and mildling stuff. 

So, for you, what was the best things about SW released since the Disney purchase? Was it the movies, the new TV shows, the new games, or something else? And, for you, do you think the Disney acquisition was good for the franchise, or was it bad?

Let's discuss!

The new trilogy is of questionable merit. 

It is a hard pick between the sequel trilogy and the prequel trilogy.

You have to pick between bad story, good film-making and good story, bad film-making.

Yeah, I don’t get that mindset at all, or the revisionist attitudes of the prequels somehow being good in comparison to the sequels.

The prequels were bad characters, bad story, bad filmmaking.

The sequel trilogy on the other hand has some good characters I actually care about, some good performances, generally good filmmaking... and an utter mess of a story, I well admit.

But they are FAR more watchable and enjoyable, on a superficial level at the very least, than ANYTHING in the prequels. People are crazy to think otherwise.

Of course The Mandalorian is SO much better than anything in the sequel trilogy, even the rather compelling character of Kylo Ren (the only consistently well done character, IMO)

Yavar

In literally no way are they better, man. I feel sorry for people who think so... they are literally some of the worst films of all time...certainly the worse films that had that kind of budget.

The sequel trilogy plot is a mess but it’s still more coherent than the prequels. Quick — who’s your favorite prequel character, and why? (And don’t cop out with “Palpatine” just because Ian McDiarmid is the only person having a bit of fun with his role, lol...)

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

In literally no way are they better, man. I feel sorry for people who think so... they are literally some of the worst films of all time...certainly the worse films that had that kind of budget.

The sequel trilogy plot is a mess but it’s still more coherent than the prequels. Quick — who’s your favorite prequel character, and why? (And don’t cop out with “Palpatine” just because Ian McDiarmid is the only person having a bit of fun with his role, lol...)

Yavar

natalie portman rebel alliance GIF by Star Wars

I do like how we got new Star Wars music from John Williams in the past several years -- that's the top thing I liked about the acquisition. And that there are different filmmakers bringing in their voices rather than just have George Lucas oversee every single thing.

It is weird that Lucasfilm's contractual conditions for Disney are little things like full color disc artwork, multiple chapter selections, and no previews on any of the DVD/Blu-ray releases.

My favourite stuff is Williams' music. Of course it is. His music is the reason why I even bother with any of this franchise.

And I really enjoyed The Mandalorian. It's not earth-shatteringly amazing or anything but felt like its own thing with a slightly different tone. And I liked the small scale story which doesn't include bloody Skywalkers and their entitled egos/daddy issues that keep ruining it for everyone in the galaxy. It's tiresome. 

The films, while mostly "fine", are a mixed bag. They're all watchable but half of them feel lifeless; and almost all of them ultimately pointless.

I don't think Disney hurt Star Wars any more than Lucas did 15-20 years ago.

Karol

33 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I do like how we got new Star Wars music from John Williams in the past several years -- that's the top thing I liked about the acquisition. And that there are different filmmakers bringing in their voices rather than just have George Lucas oversee every single thing.

It is weird that Lucasfilm's contractual conditions for Disney are little things like full color disc artwork, multiple chapter selections, and no previews on any of the DVD/Blu-ray releases.

To be fair, the lack of useless trailers/commercials on the blu-rays is a major positive.  

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

To be fair, the lack of useless trailers/commercials on the blu-rays is a major positive.  

Trailer campaign archives are one of my favourite things about DVD/blu-ray bonus features. No idea why they stopped doing it.

4 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Trailer campaign archives are one of my favourite things about DVD/blu-ray bonus features. No idea why they stopped doing it.

I loved hearing this every time I popped in a Blu-ray

Let's say Disney hadn't purchased the franchise: either George Lucas would've attempted a new trilogy or it would've gone through an assortment of hands, dozens of reboots, botched sequels etc.

As much as I've felt in the past that Disney have monopolized and sold every aspect of the franchise in a sloppy way, at least they've kept a strong grip on their property, with consistency and integrity in dealing with the legacy of the OT.

In my mind, the Last Jedis and the Solos and the Rise of Skywalkers were bound to happen regardless of who owned them. Once you start to play with such a beloved universe, you soon realize it's a slim margin of error before you're the next person to 'ruin someone's childhood'.

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It is. It's nice to pop in a disc and have it go straight to the main menu or feature playback.

I liked Rebels well enough, it was entertaining and had a decent story.

But my favorite SW product since the Disney acquisition was the game Fallen Order. One of the very best Star Wars games ever released, despite the hilarious bugs.

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

While I don't think they are great movies, at least I don't feel like the Prequels are constantly trying to reproduce stuff. It was different from the OT. Disney, however, tries to play the nostalgia card, they don't have one original idea or thought. It's almost like watching a very expensive fan movie made by people with no imagination of their own.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

either George Lucas would've attempted a new trilogy

I don't think he would have. George Lucas didn't really start working on a sequel trilogy until selling Lucasfilm was on the horizon, at which point it was done to incentivize buyers.

In fact, I have a suspicion that George Lucas never REALLY intended for there to be nine film AT ANY POINT in the development of the franchise: he just didn't want bad press when he went from a twelve-part anthology (which is what Star Wars was shaping up to be in 1978) to a six-part saga, so he came up with the number nine, purely as a publicity stunt.

Although the sequels aren't all terrible (well, TROS is, but anyway), one can't get rid of the fact that they are the most expensive fanfics ever made.

TLJ is the most interesting, because it shows what a filmmaker with a different mindset could bring to the franchise (not that Star Wars fans want any of that, of course).

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

While I don't think they are great movies, at least I don't feel like the Prequels are constantly trying to reproduce stuff. It was different from the OT. Disney, however, tries to play the nostalgia card, they don't have one original idea or thought. It's almost like watching a very expensive fan movie made by people with no imagination of their own.

20200605_172410.gif

The best stuff, I think, is:

- The Force Awakens by John Williams

- Solo by John Powell

- The Mandalorian TV show

- The novels by Claudia Gray

- The Last Jedi movie (and somewhat TFA too)

Clone Wars season 7 and Rebels weren't too shabby either.

And I like Rogue One and Solo.

Mostly it's TROS where the most severe ball was dropped.

My favoriter post Disney Star Wars product has got to be that sweet little radio controlled BB-8 droid that you can control with your phone and have rolling across your living room.

Pointless as f***, and I would never spend money on getting one, but the kid in my goes WHOA THAT’S COOL whenever I see one (usually in gift shops in airports for some reason). 

22 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Archival previews and commercials or annoying ads before the movie and in the menus?

The latter. Takes me back to the good old days of DVD and studios saved their annoying ads for VHS. 

Now it's a rare thing to see, unless you're a director that specifies "NO ADS" in their contracts like Quentin Tarantino, James Cameron or Michael Bay.

Movies

scores

Mando

Rebels

Comics

Resistance

havent read enough books to have an opinion, only 1/3 of the way through the final Clone Wars season, and won’t play any video games, so at this point I can’t really rank them.  I’ve liked 4/5 of the Disney movies, the first three of which I loved.  Almost all of the comics are great, except Marvel lately has seemed to think I’d be really into bounty hunters, and specifically some Rob Liefeld-looking motherfucker with tons of bad comic book pouches and a robot face.  Everything else has been really good, except Resistance which finally picked up some good momentum at the end of season 1 and squandered it, puttering off towards its series finale 

On 6/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

No, the prequels are just better.

I’d certainly reach for them ahead of the ST if I just wanted to put a Star War on.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

I feel sorry for people who think so

This kind of language rubs me the wrong way.  You can keep your pity.  They’re just movies.

Let's futureproof this thread so it won't be only relevant as a snapshot of this period:

My favourite product of the DIsney era are the wonderful great-sounding, MM-helmed, finally for the first time properly assembled complete 9 scores.

Let's see how long it takes for that to be relevant.

@Pieter Boelen  Fair enough. I've been (infamously) posting a lot in the Star Wars Disenchantment thread. I encourage you to read it through, starting from that (linked) page. I must warn you, though: It contains probable spoilers starting at Page 142. I'm confident that I'm onto something big.  ;)

Another thing I miss since Disney bought Lucasfilm is the incredible Dolby Digital Surround EX mixes. You could use any of the prequel or OT movies to show off your home theater system.

The Disney movies sound good, no doubt, but not quite as robust.

What I liked:

Rogue One and Solo. 
Clone Wars (although Disney has very little to do with that)

Fallen Order.

the Mandalorian.

you can keep the rest.

I love the Williams scores (the episodes I mean, but I do also like his work on the theme park and his Solo contributions), Powel's score, and The Mandalorian (show and score).  The first 40ish minutes of TFA is also pretty cool but overall I found all the new movies (episodes and spinoffs) to be boring and inconsequential - but at least they assembled great casts who did good work in them.

Basically, it doesn't matter to me much if Disney never made good SW product or not, the prequels so made me lose interest in the franchise I'm completely unaffected by new movies continuing to make it worse.  I'll always have the originals.

Can't vote in the poll because the two options in the second question are too radical in each direction and I am somewhere in the middle of those two options provided.

I think Disney's work with Star Wars has overall been very good, although I would have liked Lucas to have a little more involvement. I think Kathleen Kennedy has generally done a solid job honoring his vision, though, including by bringing back original people like JW. To be sure, there are definitely some choices I would have made differently, and I thought the films deteriorated in quality after the high point of TFA.