What's your favorite Star Wars product ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm?

Edmilson

Disney Wars  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Star Wars things since the Disney purchase?

• The movies (Sequel Trilogy, Rogue One, Solo)
    • The live-action TV show The Mandalorian
    • The animated TV show Star Wars: Rebels
    • The final season of Clone Wars
    • The animated TV show Star Wars: Resistance
    • The EA videogames (Battlefront, Battlefront II, Jedi: Fallen Order)
    • The new books released since 2014
    • The new comics released since 2015
    • The Galaxy's Edge park
    • The new music by John Williams (Sequel Trilogy scores + Galaxy's Edge theme and Han Solo's theme)
    • The remastered John Williams albums, now on streaming services
    • Other (specify in the comments below)
    • Nothing, everything was shit and Lucas shouldn't have sold his masterpiece to this evil corporation!
  2. 2. Do you think the Disney purchase was bad for the franchise?

• Of course not! There has been some great stuff for the franchise since the Disney acquisition
    • Of course it was! Everything they released since the purchase was utter crap. The franchise should've stayed on Lucas' hands

I kinda accepted TFA being a remake of ANH (to an almost ridiculous degree) but did rather expect they might come up with a decent story to take it forward, but was hugely disappointed by TLJ and TROS. I understand the view that the prequels were poor in many regards (JW's music being the exception); I think what makes them most infuriating is that they should have been really great given the subject matter. Epic fall from grace heading inexorably towards Vadar and the dark side. Alas they just didn't work for various reasons. But they did at least try to be different rather than totally rehashing the originals. If Lucas had had any sense, he'd have collaborated with some decent writers and directors to shape his overall outline for the prequels into a properly dramatic epic rather than the soapy crap a lot of it was and tone down the kiddy stuff. Weird as most kids don't actually get much from the kiddy stuff in Star Wars... they want to be Vadar or Princess Leia... not an Ewok or JJ Binks.

For both the  prequels and recent sequels, JW felt less inspired with each film for my money. The music is very good of course and still has fine moments, but it doesn't build in the same way as the original trilogy does. The one thing the recent sequels lack are those transition shots. They are almost too efficiently made and cut together. Lucas needed Williams to paper over the cracks in the prequels and lend them the grandeur they lacked on their own so there's lots of establishing fanfares and travelling music which gives it breathing room (same for the original movies). For the sequels, it lacks those moments so the music feels much more moment to moment, few tracks play as a self contained set piece and the establishing music is much more perfunctory. I still take the heretical view that Solo is the best Star Wars score since, probably, The Phantom Menace... if not the prequels as a group. Rogue One has good ideas but MG doesn't have JW or JP's technical ability, the thematic material is more amateurish and clunky. Don't get me wrong, a new JW Star Wars score is still a thing to savour, but somehow JP felt more inspired and worked the thematic material in expertly. I guess he had more to prove too.

• 10 months later...

Rogue One, TFA and Solo are the high points, as well as Baby Yoda cause he’s just so damn cute.

The rest…. Meh……

I like almost everything Star Wars that’s been made in the last 10 years except for the sequels as a whole (due to their disorganization) and IX (because it’s bad). The music is the best part though!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Definitely not this

i think an audio only version would be fine/cute, but these people are way too obnoxiously cheery to watch for any more than like 10 seconds 

John Williams scores are the only thing I care about when it comes to the sequels.

I still haven't seen The Rise of Skywalker, I just have no interest.

The Last Jedi was incredibly interesting to me as it brought in some fresh ideas to the saga.  But sadly it doesn't work with the context of The Rise of Skywalker.  (yes i know all the plot points even though I haven't seen it)

But yeah, besides the scores these films are simply very unmemorable to me.  And I realllllly wanted to like them.  They're enjoyable, but not something I'll come back to often.

I absolutely love TLJ as a film, regardless of even being a Star Wars film, but my favorite 2015+ material is the truly excellent run of comics.  With the exception of some pretty questionable art, the writing has created some really top notch stories and wonderful new characters.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

I still can’t bring myself to care about theirs adventures of Beilart Valance, but otherwise the Marvel comics have been great!

That's definitely the exception.  Bounty Hunters is a bit rubbish.  I'm also not as wild about the current run of Aphra, but she's my favorite character since the reboot, so here's hoping!