Williams composing for the Vienna Philharmonic - "Fanfare for the Vienna Philharmonic Ball"

Miguel Andrade

Yeah, its frustrating.  I think this was recorded by Willliams and DG will release it, but that may be weeks/months (and, of course, I could be wrong).  Plus, now that it has been officially premiered, Williams may program it in to other concerts--maybe even San Fran.  Having a piece called "Fanfare for the Vienna Philharmonic Ball" on the program is a virtual mic drop.  

Really, I have a feeling he'll never perform this piece outside of it's intended purpose (Vienna Ball), and the Vienna philharmonic have no reason to play it outside of their annual ball. That's why I'm  not too optimistic about an official release.

And this is not some mid piece like A Toast or whatever . After listening to the clips over and over , I really think this could be his best celebratory fanfare ever and could even work as a Star Wars track.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

Really, I have a feeling he'll never perform this piece outside of it's intended purpose (Vienna Ball), and the Vienna philharmonic have no reason to play it outside of their annual ball. That's why I'm  not too optimistic about an official release.

Don't forget that the VPO is a proud (vain) orchestra and they'd probably like to show off the fanfare they commissioned from a famous composer at some point.

Also, there are many VPO chamber ensembles, including brass ones, who record CDs as well. So that's another possibility for a release. 

13 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I think that aside from the possibility that Williams recorded it last March, there's a good chance the Vienna Philharmonic will play this Fanfare at their annual Summer Night Concert at Schönbrunn Palace. The next one will be on June 8. It's broadcast around the world, as is New Year's Concert at Musikverein, and released very quickly in CD, DVD and Blu-ray formats.

https://www.sommernachtskonzert.at/index_en.html

Vienna Philharmonic played Williams at Summer Night Concert a few times in previous years.

Three years ago they performed the suite from Dr. Zhivago by Maurice Jarre.

They featured the Strauss fanfare in the 2015 edition of the Summer Night concert, so this is indeed a possibility. 

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

If anyone gets geoblocked, I clipped the more relevant parts in a previous post. 😉

On 20/01/2023 at 8:12 PM, Matthias said:

Unfortunately only a tiny snippet again on Austrian news... I guess we'll have to wait until the VPO decides to release it in some fashion.

On 21/01/2023 at 4:57 PM, King Mark said:

Anyone know how long the full piece is?

The sheet music indicates an extension, which is fairly typical in pieces of this sort.  They can keep repeating to accommodate the event.  If a full recording of the Ball performance is ever released, it will likely be longer than a purely concert version of the piece, if that makes sense.  But, to answer your question, I have no idea. 

I was wondering that myself.  I was surprised that it was just brass/percussion.  The Vienna brass sounds so full and delightful, but I am not sure most brass bands could pull it off.  Maybe it is just the number of instruments, but I was listening to the JW Denver Brass album, which is excellent, but it is thin in comparison to this.  I wonder if he bothers releasing a Signature edition if it will not be for full orchestra.  I think the latter approach would be better for the typical concert performance.    

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this thread to say I'm soooooo disappointed no decent recordings of the complete piece have surfaced on you tube and the odds of an official recording being released seem pretty slim

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeah, it seems increasingly unlikely that Williams recorded it last March.  Let's hope he programs it into some of the upcoming concerts.  

It's beginning to feel like a missed opportunity, especially in times of "digital singles".

It wouldn't make sense to perform and record the new fanfare without members of the VPO and outside of the Viennese context.

Let's hope DG (or whoever) are saving some gun powder for months/years to come.

Compilations of singles with bonus tracks would be an appealing format and worth waiting for.

Incredible: The Vienna Phil posted 15 minutes of ball footage, NONE of which (as far as I can tell) -- not even a second -- is from Williams' fanfare. 

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/vienna-philharmonic-ball/2023

It's like they're teasing us at this point!

Are we in for a proper release?

On 12/02/2023 at 8:13 AM, Will said:

Incredible: The Vienna Phil posted 15 minutes of ball footage, NONE of which (as far as I can tell) -- not even a second -- is from Williams' fanfare. 

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/en/vienna-philharmonic-ball/2023

It's like they're teasing us at this point!

They even scrapped the R. Strauss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2023 at 8:19 AM, BB-8 said:

Amazing - already framed!

[Thanks to "that thing" named COVID-19]

.________________________________________________________________________

image.png

Wiener Philharmoniker (@viennaphilharmonic) • Instagram-Fotos und -Videos

Yep, picture previously posted.

23 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Did this forum not, like, constitutionally abolish that joke or something? It is, without exaggeration, the most played-out, dead and desiccated husk of an attempt at humor this side of "they're all dead." (And to think they both came out from the same movie...)

I think we all agree that we need a better joke than this, but...

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we all agree that we need a better joke than this, but...

Turning that joke into some kind of meta-joke is also hereby abolished!!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I am pretty old-fashioned when writing my jokes.  I don't use computers or electronics.  I just have my paper and pencil. I am like a monk, but funnier.  

Some may even refer to you as “antediluvian”.

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2023 at 3:55 PM, Pawel P. said:

I think that aside from the possibility that Williams recorded it last March, there's a good chance the Vienna Philharmonic will play this Fanfare at their annual Summer Night Concert at Schönbrunn Palace. The next one will be on June 8. It's broadcast around the world, as is New Year's Concert at Musikverein, and released very quickly in CD, DVD and Blu-ray formats.

https://www.sommernachtskonzert.at/index_en.html

Vienna Philharmonic played Williams at Summer Night Concert a few times in previous years.

Three years ago they performed the suite from Dr. Zhivago by Maurice Jarre.

Looks like the next chance for the fanfare to be performed and recorded has come to nothing...

e_snk23-header_web1920x1080.jpg__1170x68

Sommernachtskonzert Schönbrunn - Wiener Philharmoniker

What a routine program...except for the Boulanger.

Next opportunity: VPO produce a Special Annual CD 2023 with the JW 2022 concert material plus the fanfare.

E.g.

Special Annual Edition 2022/ Welser-Möst - Wiener Philharmoniker

That would sell like warm Kaisersemmeln.

Never give up hope, but it wouldn't make much sense if the NYP played a work that was written for the VPO.

Seems more likely you'll get Grit and Glory, The Fabelmans (with Spielberg presenting), or some Indy 5 teaser?

20 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Looks like the next chance for the fanfare to be performed and recorded has come to nothing...

e_snk23-header_web1920x1080.jpg__1170x68

Sommernachtskonzert Schönbrunn - Wiener Philharmoniker

What a routine program...except for the Boulanger.

Next opportunity: VPO produce a Special Annual CD 2023 with the JW 2022 concert material plus the fanfare.

E.g.

Special Annual Edition 2022/ Welser-Möst - Wiener Philharmoniker

That would sell like warm Kaisersemmeln.

I find classical music has gotten incredibly dull and routine in the last ten years, and extreme like everything else. Its either the same stuff together thats all been played millions of times, or a program of completely unknown stuff, and usually its unknown because its not very good.

I think the best chance of seeing the fanfare being played though is at Tanglewood, the Pops concerts have always been a wild card of pieces and in many cases over the years he whips out random stuff that hadnt been heard about in years. I miss the days when he did full concerts, you would see a lot of stuff on there including Sound the Bells or Song for World Piece, or he even did Hymn for New England a few times but he has re titled it for some reason, can't remember what the new name is.

On 18/04/2023 at 6:12 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I find classical music has gotten incredibly dull and routine in the last ten years, and extreme like everything else. Its either the same stuff together thats all been played millions of times, or a program of completely unknown stuff, and usually its unknown because its not very good.

I think the best chance of seeing the fanfare being played though is at Tanglewood, the Pops concerts have always been a wild card of pieces and in many cases over the years he whips out random stuff that hadnt been heard about in years. I miss the days when he did full concerts, you would see a lot of stuff on there including Sound the Bells or Song for World Piece, or he even did Hymn for New England a few times but he has re titled it for some reason, can't remember what the new name is.

"Of Grace and Majesty". I think the title was first used in 2016 at Tanglewood.