Jump to content

Williams composing for the Vienna Philharmonic


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In his conversation with Dudamel at KUSC, Williams just mentioned that he was asked to write a processional for the Vienna Philharmonic annual ball. He also confirmed that the idea is to premiere

I've never thought I would see these two works in one sentence haha 

Crazy to think the Strauss piece was written less than 10 years before Williams was born.

Cool.  I was hoping for such a confirmation.  And the processional--well that could be a dream come true.  He will dig down deep for that one.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that is quite an honor.  The traditionalist in me does not like to see such pieces with their own rich histories replaced (even if by Williams), but such is life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, that is quite an honor.  The traditionalist in me does not like to see such pieces with their own rich histories replaced (even if by Williams), but such is life. 

I doubt that the piece will permanently be replaced. The VPO is way too proud of its tradition for that to happen. But I think we may very well get to see JW conduct at the annual Vienna Philharmonic ball sometime. 😃 (don't know whether there will even be a ball in February of next year) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom said:

Crazy to think the Strauss piece was written less than 10 years before Williams was born.

 

Well, Strauss's Vier letzte Lieder were written just 11 years before Williams wrote Daddy-O.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams life really does stretch back to a whole different era in music and history.  I just looked up who was president when he was born--Herbert Hoover, who in turn was born less than 10 years after Lincoln was assassinated.  Not sure why I find that noteworthy, but there you go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that Williams loves writing for particular strengths of a given orchestra and acoustics of the hall, can you imagine the writing for the Vienna horns?  And the nature of the piece calls for it to begin with.  I am looking forward to the violin concerto, but this little piece excites me a bit more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, Tom said:

Williams life really does stretch back to a whole different era in music and history.  I just looked up who was president when he was born--Herbert Hoover, who in turn was born less than 10 years after Lincoln was assassinated.  Not sure why I find that noteworthy, but there you go.  

 

And Williams was born less than 6 years after Lincoln's son Robert died, who was 22 when Lincoln was assassinated and was at his deathbed in the Petersen House.

 

Incidentally, Robert was an eyewitness to President Garfield's assassination in 1881, and just outside the building where President McKinley was assassinated in 1901.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...