Sign in to follow this  
Miguel Andrade

Williams composing for the Vienna Philharmonic

Cool.  I was hoping for such a confirmation.  And the processional--well that could be a dream come true.  He will dig down deep for that one.  

Well, that is quite an honor.  The traditionalist in me does not like to see such pieces with their own rich histories replaced (even if by Williams), but such is life. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, that is quite an honor.  The traditionalist in me does not like to see such pieces with their own rich histories replaced (even if by Williams), but such is life. 

I doubt that the piece will permanently be replaced. The VPO is way too proud of its tradition for that to happen. But I think we may very well get to see JW conduct at the annual Vienna Philharmonic ball sometime. 😃 (don't know whether there will even be a ball in February of next year) 

Williams life really does stretch back to a whole different era in music and history.  I just looked up who was president when he was born--Herbert Hoover, who in turn was born less than 10 years after Lincoln was assassinated.  Not sure why I find that noteworthy, but there you go.  

Given that Williams loves writing for particular strengths of a given orchestra and acoustics of the hall, can you imagine the writing for the Vienna horns?  And the nature of the piece calls for it to begin with.  I am looking forward to the violin concerto, but this little piece excites me a bit more.  

On 7/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, Tom said:

Williams life really does stretch back to a whole different era in music and history.  I just looked up who was president when he was born--Herbert Hoover, who in turn was born less than 10 years after Lincoln was assassinated.  Not sure why I find that noteworthy, but there you go.  

And Williams was born less than 6 years after Lincoln's son Robert died, who was 22 when Lincoln was assassinated and was at his deathbed in the Petersen House.

Incidentally, Robert was an eyewitness to President Garfield's assassination in 1881, and just outside the building where President McKinley was assassinated in 1901.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:17 PM, Fabulin said:

He also said that he has just finished working on the Violin Concerto!

This is amazing news! More concert works by Williams! More recordings of concert works by Williams!