Major rumors coming out about Disney and Star Wars

Demodex

1 minute ago, Datameister said:

I didn't think we needed more focus on Rey - I just thought it was bizarre that they changed her central drive/question. In TFA, she wasn't wondering who her family was...she was just waiting for them to return. Suddenly in TLJ she's obsessed with this question of who her parents were. I think either way would have been valid, but having both feels like a contradiction. (I do miss the interaction between her and Finn, but I don't really hold that against the film. Hell, how many scenes do Luke and Han get together in Empire? Two?)

I apologize for assuming that was what you meant. I am just so used to hearing that argument.

This is an interesting point. To me personally, the who they are, where they are, and why are similar enough for it not to bother me, though I agree there is a distinction and not one I had thought about before this clearly. Interestingly, Awakens asks where, Jedi asks who, and Rise answers those by providing why. Still clumsy though.

'Inadvertently interesting' is the closest I feel I have gotten to accurately expressing my feelings about the sequel trilogy. Other than Jedi, of course.

You also made a good point about Finn. I agree that his involvement in Awakens was Rey-driven so I also thought it was interesting that they split that hair without more explanation. It does fit in with trauma, which I am sure he has plenty of, but I do wish there was at least a line more of development with that. I don't know how they could have done it, but I am sure there was a way they could have. There is always a way.

21 minutes ago, Datameister said:

In TFA, she wasn't wondering who her family was...she was just waiting for them to return. Suddenly in TLJ she's obsessed with this question of who her parents were.

Yes! Plus, even within The Last Jedi, the issue of Rey's parents is only brought up about an hour into the film.

There's a general continuity that works for me, though. Since Force Awakens, Rey wanted to feel a sense of belonging...she didn't have it in her parents, and briefly felt it with Han. In Last Jedi, she wanted it in Luke, too, but she couldn't find it there either. The mirror scene is crucial because it ultimately foreshadows her greatest fear: being alone without someone to give her a sense of purpose, direction, or belonging. This of course is later confirmed by Kylo: she has to forge her own place in life, her own sense of, yep, belonging.

Asinine as Palpatine's existence in Rise of Skywalker is, his tempting of Rey in the climactic stretch of the movie is far more compelling to me than his attempt at the same in Return of the Jedi. Over the trilogy, Rey essentially created her own family, her own purpose, her sense of fitting in the galaxy. Palpatine threatens to yank all of that away from her, unless she "sacrifices" herself by killing him in anger. 

After TFA, when RJ took over, I think it was a rare instance where the movie makers got caught up by the hype and started forming the script after fans’ expectations instead of focusing on writing a good story. A precursor to Sonic The Movie and ZS’s Justice League perhaps?

Fans “demanded” an answer... but in RJ’s case the answer wasn’t clear for what the fans wanted (Luke’s daughter? Han’s daughter? Etc...). Fans just wanted an answer! It was up for him to decide and, as with many other parts of the movie, he chose to “subvert” expectations.

Without the hype for Rey’s lineage, would it have been addressed at all?

I think RJ was so fixated on “subverting” expectations that he put an answer in the script even though it was uncalled for.

But I’m thinking lately that Disney had a plan and a hand with all the decisions that fans hate (not just regarding Rey) made in TLJ, which is a little bit overlooked when criticizing RJ. It’s not solely his fault TLJ derailed the Star Wars universe (well, it kinda is but, obviously, Disney was onboard).

I guess Disney wanted to move away from the ‘everybody is family’ trope because that would make it easier to produce stand alone features.

It’s easy to deduce other business incentives behind the faults in the script for TLJ.

As I see it, Rian fixed a lot of problems JJ created, and to do that he made the fixes into plot twists. Hence all the "subversions". It was dumb for Rey to be related to someone we already knew, so he did away with that, and revealed it at the same point in the series as the "I am your father" reveal in the originals. And he solved the problem of what to do with a dumb character like Snoke by killing him off.

I think you're right, rough cut, that he probably felt more pressure to address Rey's parents due to the fans, but JJ knew what he was doing when he planted that whole mystery in the first place.

If the issue of Rey's family was never adressed in The Last Jedi, or at least didn't have this big build-up leading to a dramatic reveal, I think it would have been better.

Treating their being nobodies as this earth-shattering reveal when it was in fact the only reasonable way for the story to go, wasn't a good choice.