R. I. P. Ennio Morricone

ciarlese

I hate to be the one breaking this very sad news. 

Maestro Ennio Morricone passed away last night:

https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cultura/2020/07/06/addio-a-ennio-morricone_13319023-9654-4ba1-a7f2-c3f53dbd7f60.html

It seems he fell in his home the other day and broke a leg. Will report later when I have more news.

This is awful. :(

Having said that, he had an amazingly long life and career that most composers can only dream of. And most striking musical imagination. You cannot say he didn't achieve anything there there is to be achieved in this field.

Rest in piece.

Karol

Oh no. I've become a massive fan of him, especially during the last year. Attended two concerts, began buying CDs. He was an amazing musician, who silenced the academia, which used to treat film music as a lesser art.

RIP Maestro Morricone.

And @Lewya, I must say I find it repulsive to take this opportunity to downplay John Williams on a forum dedicated to his work.

Edit: I see you edited your post already, fine.

Very sad news indeed. Yes, 91 is an incredible age to reach, but Morricone was so active up untill the last, I thought he would last forever. But goes to show how vulnerable you are to injuries when you're up there.

Morricone was always on/off to me. Some things I can't stand, other things I absolutely love. I am particularly a fan of his melancholic, gorgeous, broad melodies.

Currently writing an obituary in Norwegian, will need to gather my thoughts a bit.

Very sad news. End of an era, really. Like Thor, I'm not a fan of everything he created, but he created so much beautiful music that he will never be forgotten. I had the pleasure of seeing him three times at the concert and interviewing him one time. Below is a memoir article about Maestro Morricone I wrote in Polish.

https://kultura.onet.pl/muzyka/wywiady-i-artykuly/ennio-morricone-nie-zyje-maestro-kina-kim-byl-kompozytor-biografia/m46lsks

:( It has become a sad day, but his legacy of fine music will be long remembered, played and analysed forevermore! 

R.I.P Maestro & thank you.

Oh my :(

It feels like some part of film music history has died with him. Though of course his music remains. 

The Mission is one of the very first soundtracks I heard, and still my favorite of his. I'll have a listen today. 

Its a loss of great of magnitude but his legacy will continue to rage across the globe. RIP, Maestro.

RIP Ennio Morricone. A very sad day for film music indeed. 

You and John Williams are one of the reason why I got interested in film music in the first place. I remember enjoying your spaghetti western music a lot as a kid.
It's hard to believe that you are gone but your music is eternal.

Nothing better than this heavenly piece from The Mission to pay respects

Sad news. One of the greatest film composers of all time. What an amazing legacy he leaves behind. RIP 

What a sad news to wake up to. I feel like I've lost someone very close to me. His music has greatly enriched my life. R.I.P.  

He conducted the local philharmonic multiple times when I was around 10, even took them on tour. Now I'm regretting not attending those even more :(

This is so sad. His music is truly iconic and instantly recognizable and he left behind a bunch of magnificent scores, but one my favorites will always be Once Upon A Time In The West, from Harmonica's Theme to Jill's lyrical theme, that score will endure for many years to come.

Thanks Maestro, RIP.

Thanks to have created a separate thread. It's a whole piece of the modern film music world that we lost today. A monument of film composing.

Requiescat in pace Maestro.

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Thanks to have created a separate thread. It's a whole piece of the modern film music world that we lost today. A monument of film composing.

Requiescat in pace Maestro.

We lost the man, but his legacy will live on longer than any of us.

An absolute giant. I was lucky enough to have seen him conduct live. It's one of those days with a deeply pervading sense of loss

Yes, same here. I never met him, personally, but I saw him live twice. Once at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 2010 and the other one in January last year, here in Oslo. I wrote an English-language review of the latter concert here: http://celluloidtunes.no/ennio-morricone-in-oslo/ . Although it was already intended as his farewell concert, and the first and last time he performed in Norway, it will have extra significance now.

I can't say I enjoy all his output and I doubt many do. But a true testament of his versatility and adaptability is that although you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who genuinely enjoys all his output, you'd be equally hard pressed to find someone who doesn't appreciate anything from his output. That's a very hard thing to do

The reactions have been pretty remarkable so far. Hard to follow, really. No doubt there will be more condolences coming from more notables.

Daniel Pemberton wrote that for him, Morricone is the greatest film composer ever:

Both Jonny Greenwood and Thom Yorke retweeted the news of his death.

Ryuichi Sakamoto wrote "Thank you, maestro! Rest In Peace". on Facebook.

Are there any albums containing Morricone compositions conducted by John Williams?

Oh, wow. :( 91 is a good age to pass away at, but at the same time, this is so unexpected, especially since he was active until his death. One of the first films composers I really remember paying to attention, when I was much younger. RIP Mr. Morricone, his music will live on forever.