R. I. P. Ennio Morricone

ciarlese

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Cinema Serenade, for instance.

Yes, I was just about to suggest that. And he performed Morricone material several times with the Boston Pops, but we're still waiting for these to be released on album.

RIP

Truly one of the great composers.

It disgusted me to open the classical music Reddit and see the thread on his death being locked by the mods because he was "almost exclusively a film composer".   Pathetic ignorant snobs.

Actually his was one of the first film scores I really took to and wanted to have (I was maybe 5 or 6), I remember recording one variation of the main theme on my flipphone for a ringtone.

And I still love it.

37 minutes ago, publicist said:

Cinema Serenade, for instance.

Yes, that's the only one album where Williams recorded a Morricone work.

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

It disgusted me to open the classical music Reddit and see the thread on his death being locked by the mods because he was "almost exclusively a film composer".   Pathetic ignorant snobs.

Preposterous!

His masterpiece in my opinion is the score for Once Upon a Time in the West. It's one of the best scored movies ever made. The Untouchables and Once Upon a Time in America are great as well.

The Mission is a fine OST, but I never watched the movie, so I don't know how the music works in context. But I'm pretty sure it's amazing,

My grief, my grief.

The man who made me a film music devotee.

The first article I published was in tribute to his greatness.

Oh my....

Rip EM

Brm

My review of the biographical DVD is on AMAZON.

It expresses my love for the man

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B0002ABST0/R3D2G7E0H895HW?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

Screenshot_2020-07-06-09-23-58~2.png

No one likes to wake up and have several private messages in his WhatsApp chat that tell you one of your biggest idols just passed away. That said, I was really touched by the fact that so many of my friends seemed to be emotionally very invested in the maestro's death. Rest in Peace.

Meanwhile, I have found the words to express my happiness about the fact that he had the chance to reach that impressive age, that he aged and died with dignity and that he was even able to say goodbye to everyone who was important to him and everyone he was important to.

I also want to say that Hans Zimmer absolutely nailed it by saying that "Ennio was an icon and icons just don't go away"!

Today, this is what I'm going to listen to in order to commemorate him.

Very sad.

Not in my top 10 composers personally but I enjoy some of his works

I heard this on TV. My heart skipped a beat because they started with something like "Famous film composer..." and  for a split second I thought they'd say JW.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

No one likes to wake up and have several private messages in his WhatsApp chat that tell you one of your biggest idols just passed away. That said, I was really touched by the fact that so many of my friends seemed to be emotionally very invested in the maestro's death. Rest in Peace.

Meanwhile, I have found the words to express my happiness about the fact that he had the chance to reach that impressive age, that he aged and died with dignity and that he was even able to say goodbye to everyone who was important to him and everyone he was important to.

I also want to say that Hans Zimmer absolutely nailed it by saying that "Ennio was an icon and icons just don't go away"!

Today, this is what I'm going to listen to in order to commemorate him.

Morricone is to Zimmer what North is to Goldsmith , Goldsmith is to Horner, Herrmann is to Elfman...

A big INSPIRATION to another great composer#

A sad day, and of course this ghastly year had to claim one of the truly Greats. It's difficult to corral my thoughts into a coherent fashion, so I'll just post one of my favourite pieces by Ennio Morricone:

6 hours ago, Lewya said:

Michael Nyman wrote "Goodbye, Ennio." on Facebook.

NYMAn once said GIU LA TESTA was favorite score of ALL TIME!

MINE TOO!

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Deeply saddening news. More about his genius...

A certain quote from Morricone has fascinated me ever since I came across it. In a course by Italian musicologist Sergio Miceli in which Morricone took part (what a dream that surely was!), talking about themes, Morricone said:

It is truly a genius who on the one hand had such low regard for themes yet on the other wrote themes so deeply moving that they betray a deep understanding of their inner workings.

Morricone talks like an intellectual music professor and writes music like A pop/rock  musician.

And that's a good thing.😊

" The Rock n Roll Rossini"

" Stravinsky with a Stratocaster"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/8837041438/R3M72EGI6Q60K9?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

This is truly sad. My prayers go out to his family. I was not familiar with his body of work, but I remember The Mission. A powerful film with a powerful score. R.I.P. Maestro Ennio Morricone. May you be welcomed into Heaven with this:

:crymore:

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

NYMAn once said GIU LA TESTA was favorite score of ALL TIME!

MINE TOO!

Morricone talks like an intellectual music professor and writes music like A pop/rock  musician.

And that's a good thing.😊

" The Rock n Roll Rossini"

" Stravinsky with a Stratocaster"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/8837041438/R3M72EGI6Q60K9?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

Screenshot_2020-07-06-13-30-07~2.png

Many film composers from Waxman to Bernstein to North to JW to JG..., incorporated elements of jazz in their work; or, composed purely jazz scores.

EM is UNIQUE in that he used elements of rock music'- particularly the electric guitar, chanted vocals and thundering percussion.

Not surprisingly he had a huge following among rockers.

Listen to these two pieces by PINK FLOYD: the first could be music for the climactic shootout of a western;

the soaring soprano of the second track is right out of the Edda songbook.

Screenshot_2020-07-06-13-38-16~2.png

Listening to one of my favourite Morricone albums... The Demons of St Petersburg from 2008. Not exactly an obvious choice as not many people know this work. But I fell in love from my first listen. The entire score is lovely but the somewhat final track is a beauty.

Karol

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Any good live performance of him conducting to recommend?

I'm sorry... :crymore:

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Listening to one of my favourite Morricone albums... The Demons of St Petersburg from 2008. Not exactly an obvious choice as not many people know this work. But I fell in love from my first listen. The entire score is lovely but the somewhat final track is a beauty.

Wow, need to get the CD of that!

Just listen in this order. A tribute to Maestro Ennio Morricone.

Grant him eternal rest, Lord. May Your Perpetual Light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God, Rest In Peace. Amen.

https://www.indcatholicnews.com/news/39963

I'll just paste my Facebook/Twitter post here:

RIP Ennio Morricone (1928-2020)

Besides "serious" concert works and songs, Morricone's ouevre includes an unmatched 500 film scores. His skill to effortlessly switch between styles, from avant-garde to deliberate kitsch, from serious to tongue in cheek, often within the same piece, and without ever compromising his musical seriousness, earned him virtually universal respect and made him not only one of the greatest film composers in both Hollywood and Europe, but also one of the most popular.

In 1964, Morricone single-handedly defined the sound of the Spaghetti Western with his then unique (but afterwards much copied) score for "A Fistful of Dollars". While that trilogy (culminating in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"'s iconic "The Ecstasy of Gold") together with "Once Upon a Time in the West" (with its famous blend of harmonica and electric guitar) contains enough hits to make him a household name, Morricone was much too prolific to by typecast to just a few select genres. He had the fortune of having close collaborations with directors like De Palma and most notably Leone and Tornatore, who understood what he could bring to their films and trusted him to carry pivotal scenes in the films just with his music.

One of the last musical titans of the 20th century.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

One last time. This music will remain his finest composition.

Not too shabby.

LIKE OUTIW, I heard MISSION long before I ever screened it.

Unlike WEST, which I consider a cinematic masterpiece, , MISSION didn't make a big impression on me.

When I listen to the CD it is a pure musical experience, devoid of filmic associations.

Wondrous!

On the flip side...

Ennio is the only composer I can think of who makes me LAUGH!!!!

Everytime the ' Jew's harp' twangs in FAFDM , I crack up.

There are numerous instances in the Leone films where his music provides humourous musical punctuation!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Or belches in Duck You Sucker's Beggar's March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsTwB-tgvk

That's one I had in mind...

The scene in GBU where Tuco sees the empty noose that he tied around Blondie " ah ah ahaha"

The tuba that plays when Mortimer lights the match on Wild's hump...

Many more!

Nice John Carpenter tribute from his official page (quote):

'Brilliant composer Ennio Morricone has passed away. A friend and collaborator, his talent was inestimable. I will miss him!'

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Wow, need to get the CD of that!

The rest of the score is more subdued and brooding as you can here in those samples:

But I like brooding introspective Morricone. 

Karol

On 7/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, publicist said:

I Promessi Sposi

La Venexiana

Casualties of War

Fateless

Il Prato

The Starmaker

La Moglie Piu Bella

Orca

Tempo Di Uccidere

@publicist I'd really be delighted if you'd throw in another dozen of recommendations of sad Ennio Morricone scores, like you did in the other thread.