R. I. P. Ennio Morricone

ciarlese

As I said earlier, Ennio Morricone wrote 6 arrangements for Charles Aznavour's two first italian albums.

Here are the french versions he also recorded in 1963 using the same musical tracks. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7zo7ns27KfEC3DrYlZayyt?si=N8_jGECpSGam8hEUkYtMlw

I'm thrilled and grateful that H8 was such a success.

Not because of the Awards- I could care less about that

Because, it means his legacy stretches right up to the end of his career.

Otherwise, to me PERSONALLY ,  his last GREAT work would have been 30 plus years ago.

RIP Il Maestro

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score to The Legend of 1900 is pritty great, and underrated.

He composed many, many scores in that ' CINEMA PARADISO 'style in his last two decades.

Hardcore fans like John Bender and myself are not particularly enamored with them.

But, many fans are and I respect that

LEGEND OF 1900 is great, and although it always irritates me a bit when I listen to it, it's a genius move of Morricone to have that one sour note at the end of the theme, to denote the pianist's deteriorating psyche. A bit like the dissonant ending of Williams' JFK theme, signalling a more sinister destiny.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score to The Legend of 1900 is pritty great, and underrated.

He composed many, many scores in that ' CINEMA PARADISO 'style in his last two decades.

Hardcore fans like John Bender and myself are not particularly enamored with them.

But there's much more than "that Cinema Paradiso style" (lovely as it is) in 1900. Between the main theme, all the jazzy and ragtime stuff, Child, and Playing Love, the score has a much greater range than I usually expect from Morricone. And as far as elevating the film (which is one of my favourites) goes, its impact is enormous.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

No one can be familiar with every bit of every score the man composed!

That is very true.

I think I've heard/owned/own about 100-150 Morricone scores over the course of my lifetime, and that is only about 1/5th (or 1/4th) of his entire output. So I still have a lifetime of exploring to do. In fact, I've been meaning to explore further for decades, but have always postponed it. Now, with his demise, I find it opportune to finally do so. In fact, I've started a thread on FSM asking for recommendations for LYRICAL Morricone scores, since I've never been a big fan of his more abrasive/dissonant side. A lot of suggestions have already come in, and I've used the last 24 hours going nuts on Spotify and Youtube and what-have-you. God almighty, so much great stuff, I'm totally dizzy already.

Morricone and my other favorite composer, John Barry , both settled into a predictable late career style that I find uninteresting.

Their music blends  into a indistinguishable collection of soundalike scores.

I dubbed the generic Barry score " SOMEWHERE IN AFRICA CHAPLIN DANCES WITH FRANCES "

I refer to late career Ennio as " THE LEGEND OF CINEMA IN AMERICA"

Awhile ago , I posted my " Top 40" favorite scores . Barry and Morricone were the two most represented composers with 6 and 7 respectively.

Not one after 1987.

Just curious, does anyone know if the Love Theme itself from CINEMA PARADISO is by Andrea Morricone, or is the theme by Ennio and the actual track titled "Love Theme" was specifically written/arranged by his son? Have never been too clear on what was meant by this.

10 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Just curious, does anyone know if the Love Theme itself from CINEMA PARADISO is by Andrea Morricone, or is the theme by Ennio and the actual track titled "Love Theme" was specifically written/arranged by his son? Have never been too clear on what was meant by this.

Yeah, I've been curious about that myself. I've seen several people sharing that theme in homage to Morricone and it would be a bit of a shame, from all the tremendous amount of great work the man has done, people would be signaling out something he didn't actually write. But I suspect he gave the credit to his son as a gesture of sorts

Most of the ' classic film composers are heavily influenced by 19th and 20th century concert works by Wagner, Strauss, Mahler, Schoenberg, Stravinsky etc.

EM is the only one I can think of who takes his cue from J.S. Bach , specifically the chorale precludes( 1900 is a good example).

Not surprisingly, Bach is my favorite classical composer.

Another unique aspect if his music is the prominent use of soloists, guitar, trumpet. Much of his music is like a concerto!

Reprogam of H8

FAFDM LP that never was😥

Screenshot_2020-07-07-19-45-38~2.png

Screenshot_2020-07-07-19-46-17.png

Screenshot_2020-07-07-19-46-02~2.png

5 hours ago, Thor said:

That is very true.

I think I've heard/owned/own about 100-150 Morricone scores over the course of my lifetime, and that is only about 1/5th (or 1/4th) of his entire output. So I still have a lifetime of exploring to do. In fact, I've been meaning to explore further for decades, but have always postponed it. Now, with his demise, I find it opportune to finally do so. In fact, I've started a thread on FSM asking for recommendations for LYRICAL Morricone scores, since I've never been a big fan of his more abrasive/dissonant side. ...

Thor, NOBODY likes his " abrasive" side#😉

Btw what do you think of my PINK FLOYD/ MORRICONE linkage?

You're the prog rock expert?

20 minutes ago, Score said:

From what I understood from reading interviews in the course of the years, Andrea Morricone composed the love theme, at least in terms of melody and harmony. Then, I don't know (and I think nobody knows) whether he also did the orchestral arrangement, or if that was done by Ennio. A few years ago, I saw a manuscript on Andrea Morricone's website (which is not available anymore) with the theme written on two staves; it was claimed to be the original manuscript of that piece, before the orchestration. I recall it was written in the key of F sharp minor, instead of G minor, which is the key in which it was arranged for the movie. The page also had several textual annotations in Ennio Morricone's handwriting, which I know from other sources, with schematic instructions on how to build the structure of the piece. It's a shame I cannot find that site anymore!    

EDIT: I had saved the picture on my PC! Here it is. It is really a preliminary sketch. There is an annotation at the beginning to transpose up 1/2 tone, and I am almost 100% sure that the text at the bottom of the page is in Ennio's handwriting. It says that the theme should be repeated 4 times, with a simple description of how it should be varied each time.

Cinema Paradiso Love Theme-Manuscript (A.png

Interesting! Are you able to interpret all of what's written at the bottom?

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Another unique aspect if his music is the prominent use of soloists, guitar, trumpet.

I'm sure John Williams is pleased! The guitarist, that is...

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting! Are you able to interpret all of what's written at the bottom?

It says:

Tema 4 volte:

1) Libero e lento (espressivo)

2) Poco più mosso

3) Più mosso e cresc. (arpeggi)

4) Forte

which means:

Theme 4 times:

1) Free and slow (expressive)

2) Moving a little 

3) Moving and "crescendo" (with arpeggios)

4) Forte

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Thor, NOBODY likes his " abrasive" side#😉

Btw what do you think of my PINK FLOYD/ MORRICONE linkage?

You're the prog rock expert?

It's no secret that Pink Floyd was inspired by Morricone. Roger Waters - who collaborated with him on "Lost Boys Calling" from THE LEGEND OF 1900 - has some nice things to say after his death, as quoted from Kristian Sensini's obituary

Yesterday I received this from Roger Waters, he’s a member of www.ACMF.it the same association Maestro Morricone was the Honorary President of.

“Maestro Morricone’s melody will haunt me the rest of my days.

The spotlight fades the boys disband

The final notes lie mute upon the sand

And in the silence of the grave

I can still hear those lost boys calling

Love Roger.”

Also, if you listen to something like "Erotico Mistico" from MADDALENA, you can easily hear shades of "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" from Pink Floyd's ZABRISKIE POINT or "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS. 

I also like to think that Morricone was inspired by Pink Floyd, or at least had some affection for them - given their similar approach to finding a space between art music and pop music. I can't remember having ever read any quotes in that regard, though.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

It's no secret that Pink Floyd was inspired by Morricone. Roger Waters - who collaborated with him on "Lost Boys Calling" from THE LEGEND OF 1900 - has some nice things to say after his death, as quoted from Kristian Sensini's obituary

Also, if you listen to something like "Erotico Mistico" from MADDALENA, you can easily hear shades of "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" from Pink Floyd's ZABRISKIE POINT or "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS. 

I also like to think that Morricone was inspired by Pink Floyd, or at least had some affection for them - given their similar approach to finding a space between art music and pop music. I can't remember having ever read any quotes in that regard, though.

Thanks 😊Thor

It was.not known to me but my ears figured it out!

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Very well put by John Zorn. Bravo!

Yup.

He wrote great liner notes for the ENNIO MORRICONE V. 1 and 2,  CDs that came out in the mid 80s.

I am pleased that the obits I have read , thus far, didnt start with obligatory"..... Oscar winning composer Ennio Morricone...." B.s but went straight to the westerns ; which is proper historically and artistically

On 7/6/2020 at 7:54 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Holy moly, what a scene. I've never seen the film and am only familiar with the first track on the soundtrack album (such a great theme), but this clip alone made me tear up. The little woodwinds interjections (1:47) remind me of Williams.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Plenty of rock acts and artists who have been inspired by Morricone. There's also Metallica, Muse, Radiohead, Goldfrapp and Portishead, for example.

RadioHEAD and Port8sHEAD?

Thanks for the heads up.:)

Iirc

More than one guitarist has cited the use of the 12 string electric used in OUTW as inspiration.

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Holy moly, what a scene. I've never seen the film and am only familiar with the first track on the soundtrack album (such a great theme), but this clip alone made me tear up. The little woodwinds interjections (1:47) remind me of Williams.

The whole film is like that.

On 7/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, Josh500 said:

Sad news. A reminder that we're all mortal. RIP. 

Yeah, up until the other day I had been thinking I was in fact immortal. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Plenty of rock acts and artists who have been inspired by Morricone. There's also Metallica, Muse, Radiohead, Goldfrapp and Portishead, for example.

I always loved the Morricone inspired opening/chorus to "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz. His style permeated all genres and cultures.

24 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I always loved the Morricone inspired opening/chorus to "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz. His style permeated all genres and cultures.

So many parodies have been done..

RANGO by Zimmer

I remember a GET SMART parody of .....SIERRA MADRE that ended with a GBU style shoot out

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

So many parodies have been done..

RANGO by Zimmer

I remember a GET SMART parody of .....SIERRA MADRE that ended with a GBU style shoot out

Or this not so subtle homage in At World's End.

Listening to the title of GBU...

The ultimate blend of rock music and symphony!

Never tire of it.

Strange, but it tends to get overlooked because of the amazing " Ecstasy of Gold" sequence.

But, as a pure piece of music, it is unsurpassed.

" The greatest score ever written for a motion picture"

Film Score Monthy (2004)

True then. True now!

20200708_174728.jpg

The Thing is my favorite, but it didn't seem very appropriate for the current occasion.

I've always had a soft spot for the tongue in cheekish but still kinda badass My Name is Nobody.

59 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Orca, The Thing and The Mission are the only works of his I'm familiar with. Any recs?

A masterpiece that is not as well known as it should be (at least here), is "The Secret of the Sahara", the score for an Italian TV miniseries. The main theme is absolutely gorgeous, and the rest of the score is full of highlights ("The Hawk", "The Mountain", which was also used in Inglorious Bastards...). It's strange that he never played a suite from it in concerts.