R. I. P. Ennio Morricone

ciarlese

This thread gathered in just 5 days more comments than the sum of what ancient JWFan dwellers left in the thread about Goldsmith's death. The forum has grown, sure, but it's interesting nonetheless. I expected to find an entire archeological site's worth of marks of an ancient disaster...

But maybe the lack of streaming services and Youtube meant that people could not toss recommendations around with such vitality.

Anyway:

Morricone was born on the 10.11.1928 and died on the 06.07.2020

Goldsmith was born on the 10.02.1929 and died on the 21.07.2004

Only 3 round months difference in birthsday, and nearly round 16 years of difference in deathsday. Hmm...

Edit: Williams and Goldsmith had their birthsdays within 2 days of each other? Crazy!

Had Williams lived only to Goldsmith's age, he would have left us on the 19.07.2007, with his last score being Munich.

If he lives to Morricone's (or more) he will be with us until at least 04.10.2023, and could possibly score Indiana Jones 5 if it gets released in 2022.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Goldsmith who?

If it makes him feel ' better,.'

the board for Intrada, ground zero for Goldsmith lovers, has only FOUR comments on Morricone

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Goldsmith who?

Joel, of course!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Apparently, this is the last thing Morricone ever wrote:

There is another:

https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/lultimo-brano-di-ennio-morricone-scelto-per-linaugurazione-del-nuovo-ponte-di-genova_it_5f0317afc5b612083c5f261a

(Another yet-to-be-released Morricone composition that is; I don't know which was written when)

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

This thread gathered in just 5 days more comments than the sum of what ancient JWFan dwellers left in the thread about Goldsmith's death. The forum has grown, sure, but it's interesting nonetheless. I expected to find an entire archeological site's worth of marks of an ancient disaster...

But maybe the lack of streaming services and Youtube meant that people could not toss recommendations around with such vitality.

Anyway:

Morricone was born on the 10.11.1928 and died on the 06.07.2020

Goldsmith was born on the 10.02.1929 and died on the 21.07.2004

Only 3 round months difference in birthsday, and nearly round 16 years of difference in deathsday. Hmm...

Edit: Williams and Goldsmith had their birthsdays within 2 days of each other? Crazy!

Had Williams lived only to Goldsmith's age, he would have left us on the 19.07.2007, with his last score being Munich.

If he lives to Morricone's (or more) he will be with us until at least 04.10.2023, and could possibly score Indiana Jones 5 if it gets released in 2022.

One weird thing to think about is if Williams had only lived to Horner's age. No SW prequels or sequels, no Harry Potter, etc. Very strange and depressing to then think of how many more great scores Horner could have given us, had he not died in that plane crash. We're definitely lucky we've had Williams this long.

The HP scores are considered " great"?

More MORRICONE humour:

TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA: the honking sounds mimicking mules.

.....NOBODY:.the arrangement of VALKYRIE using car horns!😅

10 hours ago, Tydirium said:

One weird thing to think about is if Williams had only lived to Horner's age.

In such scenario Williams would have died on the December 15th 1993, the day Schindler's List premiered in the United States.

Spielberg's anecdote that "they are all dead" would feel very different...

Had Williams died right after Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, he would have been mourned like Tchaikovsky, who passed away after his final ballet and the sorrowful 6th Symphony. In this sense I agree with a statement I've read somewhere that Williams could have "artistically retired" in 1993 and still gotten to be recognized as great.

I wonder if he has actually had the longest (active) film scoring career of all composers (1958-2019+, 61 years). For comparison Morricone's film composing career was 1959-2016 (57 years), and Akira Ifukube's lasted 1947-2006 (59 years).

12 hours ago, Fabulin said:

EM was a Catholic who - probably - didn't smoke. That and not speaking English. The good Italian cuisine, perhaps. Being married for 63 years. It all begins and ends there. :lol:

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

1959-2016 (55 years)

57 years. :)

17 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I've read conflicting reports on whether Leone ever intended for the 4.5-hour cut to be released theatrically. It strikes me as a work-in-progress edit. The proper version of the film is the 3.8-hour one.

Leone's longer cuts tend to drag, anyway: the extended director's cut of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is one of few cases where I prefer the shorter version of a movie.

Besides, the quality of the added footage in the four-hour cut is about on-par with VHS. Horrible.

Between all of that and the genre its just not for me.

The original director's cut has a length of 269 minutes. Leone had to trim that down the regular 229 minutes we now know (fuck the American re-cut). Under the surveillance of Scorsese they wanted to rebuilt what Leone considered to be the definitive version, that was around 2010, but I think it was for right issues that they could only include half of the missing scenes resulting in 251 minutes. Scorsese has promised to eventually get the full version released, but that was ten years ago and nothing has happened ever since.:(

Like I said, as I understand it the 269-minute cut was a rough cut that Leone, whether partially encouraged by the studio or not, had cut to 229 minutes. That was the version previewed at Cannes. The longer one was a work-in-progress, like the five-hour versions of Cleopatra or Heaven's Gate.

Have you seen the 251-minute cut? virtually all the newly-added footage looks horrible. So regardless of what was intended, better to cut one's loses with the 229-minute cut than watch this appaling VHS-quality footage.

14 hours ago, Fabulin said:

At least that would have been a great note to end a career on. I mean, 2005 in general.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Like I said, as I understand it the 269-minute cut was a rough cut that Leone, whether partially encouraged by the studio or not, had cut to 229 minutes. That was the version previewed at Cannes. The longer one was a work-in-progress.

Have you seen the 251-minute cut? virtually all the newly-added footage looks horrible.

The 269 version is no raw cut, it's the director's cut. Leone wanted people to see this version at theatres. He was obviously obligated to trim that version down.

I have seen the 251 version and while it is regrettable that there is a very noticable quality drop, the producers did everything to hide that. However, what is more important is that those 20 minutes are so great and absolutely add to the scope, to the narrative and to the charakter drawing. I'd never have imagined that an almost-four-hour film could profit that much from 20 minutes more or less.

44 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The 269 version is no raw cut, it's the director's cut. Leone wanted people to see this version at theatres.

Like I said, I've read conflicting information on the matter.

There's an interesting discussion of it, including contributions from Robert Harris, here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-™-once-upon-a-time-in-america-extended-directors-cut-in-blu-ray.334757/page-4

Also this: https://notesofafilmfanatic.com/p_1149.html

On 7/6/2020 at 8:34 PM, publicist said:

So one thing to remember is that the endless tributes to his Leone work or selected american scores, i. e. The Mission or The Thing point you to but a tiny fraction of what he did and as someone who relentlessly downloaded everything Morricone off Napster in the early 2000's i can attest tho the fact that many on this list that no one here has ever heard are way better or at least on par with his famous works.

The Untouchables comes to mind as overrated as hell. WatchMojo has released a wonderfully dull list of that sort:

The only thing that was not predictable is the fact that The Mission is not in the Top10 (which is a bummer!).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's rated highly because it's a damn good score, both in context and on album.

Nothing special, not at all. The Mission and The Thing are rightully praised that often, The Untouchables just gets that much attention, because it is an english-language film.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

The Mission and The Thing are rightully praised that often, The Untouchables just gets that much attention, because it is an english-language film.

You could say the same thing about The Thing and The Mission.

THE UNTOUCHABLES is a classic, both film and score. And deservedly so.

Awhile back on FSM, we were discussing which composer has the most compilations - Morricone or Williams? No one has any concrete data or research to back it up, but my guess is that they're both pretty much equal in that regard. An insane amounts of compilations, and no doubt more than any other composers.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You could say the same thing about The Thing and The Mission.

Not really, because compared to Morricone's real masterpieces of the 80's - another Di Palma movie comes to mind, 'Casualties of War' - the 'Untouchables' deals with a rather common musical tools. It ain't bad, but it ain't that great, either. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Awhile back on FSM, we were discussing which composer has the most compilations - Morricone or Williams? No one has any concrete data or research to back it up, but my guess is that they're both pretty much equal in that regard. An insane amounts of compilations, and no doubt more than any other composers.

Back when there still were CD stores with large soundtrack sections, there often used to be an entire section of just Morricone compilations. I've never seen anything like that for Williams (or anyone else). When soundtrack sections (and CD stores) were dying out, the Morricone parts were sometimes virtually half of the whole section.

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Back when there still were CD stores with large soundtrack sections, there often used to be an entire section of just Morricone compilations. I've never seen anything like that for Williams (or anyone else). When soundtrack sections (and CD stores) were dying out, the Morricone parts were sometimes virtually half of the whole section.

I have the same experience in the stores around here. In second place would come John Barry, I'd say

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

3 hours ago, Romão said:

I have the same experience in the stores around here. In second place would come John Barry, I'd say

I know what you guys mean.:lol: Nevertheless, I have never ever seen a single score CD by Ennio Morricone in any physical store.

My experience is different. I've seen loads of Morricone compilations over the years, but not to the extent I think they're more prolific than Williams, especially not if you include STAR WARS compilations and the like into the mix (which one should).

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got LLL's expanded edition if you want to review it. Just give me a sign. ;)

If ever a score didn't need a 2 disc expansion it's this one.

Perfect ost!😍

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

My experience is different. I've seen loads of Morricone compilations over the years, but not to the extent I think they're more prolific than Williams, especially not if you include STAR WARS compilations and the like into the mix (which one should).

I think the Skywalker Symphony album is the only one I've seen more or less regularly. Perhaps the Kojian once or twice, and probably one or two Prague thingies on occasion. And even then, those were filed under "S" (the most likely spot to find Williams even when the selections got reduced, because you usually found at least one SW score there or possibly Schindler's List). Morricone usually had his own labelled compilation section.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I know what you guys mean.:lol: Nevertheless, I have never ever seen a single score CD by Ennio Morricone in any physical store.

Once upon a Time in the West, Mission, Legend of 1900, Once upon a Time in America are but a few that were plastered all over the shelves here in Berlin.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Not quite. There's a few essential seconds missing from the beginning of the main title track, and the sound quality isn't very good.

I have the Fred Karlin book which does a cue by cue breakdown of the score.

I have DVD.

Nuthin' more is needed

Countless obits point to MISSION...PARADISO....AMERICA as examples of his "beautiful" melodies.

Sadly, the incredibly moving music he wrote for GBU.e.g. " Death of a Soldier" or his " Main Title" , "The Dead Sons" from.DYS, have been ignored.

He has never been better.

Check em out!😍

11 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Countless obits point to MISSION...PARADISO....AMERICA as examples of his "beautiful" melodies.

Sadly, the incredibly moving music he wrote for GBU.e.g. " Death of a Soldier" or his " Main Title" , "The Dead Sons" from.DYS, have been ignored.

He has never been better.

Check em out!😍

I would if I knew the title of the movies.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Okay, so nothing to check out that don't already know by heart.

You're a TRUE connoisseur of Morricone!

43 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You're a TRUE connoisseur of Morricone!

Screenshot_2020-07-15-10-21-04~2.png